Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whistle on startup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody.

My 90 K5 (350, TBI) makes a whistle sound on startup that lasts about 3 seconds and then dies down and seems to go away.

My best guess is a leaky vacuum line, but I have no idea how to find it. I tried the spot spray starting fluid on the vacuum connections, but I didn't find anything (not that I necessarily did it right).

This comes after sucking in some water a while back. I am burning some oil from that and have some fouled plugs (I'm running oil burning plugs and cleaning them periodically). Plus we were up in the engine compartment a lot trying to get it running again so we could banged into something.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!!

<font color=blue>Brillance is like 4wd, it allows you to get stuck in a more remote location [​IMG]</font color=blue>

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Are you low on Power steering fluid? I have a leak I've been too lazy to fix, and when it gets to a certain low, it kind of whistles and groans on startup, I guess while it pressurizes. I add PS fluid and it goes away.
    Whatever it is, sounds to me like something being empty, then filling/pressurizing as the engine runs. If you turn off the engine then start it right back up, does it still happen?
    Is your ac funtional? Maybe it's that for some reason.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

It whistles everytime I start it up, regardless.

I will check the PS fluid. I have leaked some in the past.

My AC hasn't been functional since I got it and this whistle only started since I swamped it.

<font color=blue>Brilliance is like 4wd, it allows you to get stuck in a more remote location [​IMG]</font color=blue>

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was just thinking, maybe the idle air control valve has some crud in it? It's pretty easy to remove just to check. Facing the truck front, it's probably on the left top, rear side of the TBI casting with a 4 prong connector plugged into it, and a large hex end of the body to grip with a wrench. Just a thought, it may not be related, though.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**