Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whistling sound coming from the carb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Sep 5, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I have a whistling sound coming from my primarys on a Edelbrock 600CFM carb. I can only hear it when I take my air cleaner off (NOT A STOCK ARE CLEANER SEE ENGINE PHOTO IN SIG.) I have no hoses running to my air cleaner so I am not cutting off any vaccum from the carb.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

fairly normal..

My Edelbrock has a whistle too!--so does my Carter AFB on my 400 I had--it does it most after its hot at idle--and co-incidentally it does it loudest when its adjusted perfect!--maybe its whistling a happy tune? :whistle: (like Dixie!) :haha: :rotfl: --if your sure there are no vacuum leaks,I wouldn't worry--I dont hear mine whistling since I ditched the crappy Edelbrock foam "stealth bomber" air cleaner in favor of the stock one..

Many carbs""whistle" while idling--the venturi and butterflies restict the airflow like you lips when you "pucker up"..makes a whistling noise...I suspect the "hot idle compensater" in many carbs is responsible for whistling too--they are nothing more than a hole in the carb open to manifold vacuum,covered up by a Bi-metal spring steel dewhickey with a rubber seal..they open slightly when its real hot out,and lets a bit more air in to lean the mixture out a bit so it wont be too rich.. :crazy:

3. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

running a square bore carb (holley edelbrock) on a manifold that fits both a spreadbore and squarebore carb can cause a whistle. the squarebore gasket overhangs the inside of the manifold. ever take a broad blade of grass and whistle with it? basicly a reed! same principle with the overhanging gasket. i did a carb-intake swap on a 84 k5 of a buddies. got a loud whistle. ended up pulling the dist. carb, hours later :mad: never quit :mad: he took it to another guy that had run into the problem. he trimmed the gasket down which helped a bit but not fully, i still call his blazer "cricket" edelbrock makes a plate that corrects the problem :D

4. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Well I don't really care just as long as everyone thinks my carb is fine. I just did not want to be 2 million miles away from home and have it give it.
    Thanks
    Adm