Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whistling sound on acceleration

Discussion in 'Audio' started by afroman006, Mar 12, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My stereo just started making a VERY annoying whistling sound during acceleration today. My setup is and Alpine CDA-9807, crossfire and profile amps and crossfire speakers. The stereo has been working fine for the last year and it jsut started making the sound today. Its always present when the stereo is on and the pitch gets higher when I accelerate. The volume of the noise is constant no matter what volume the stereo is on. Anyone know what it is?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd go straight to the spot where the amps are grounded to the frame (or sheetmetal) and pull that connection.....clean the metal and connectors and then re-attach everything.

Sounds like a classic "ground loop"...which is almost always a grounding problem. Especially in your case, since it's "appearing" now...where it didn't used to be there.

Let us know what you find.

:cool1:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  3. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

I second that - sounds classic. probley the ground - clean em up.

4. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

Or...

Or your power wire and and your Audio cables are touching and getting a weird feed back. I have had that problem on a couple of different cars.

5. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Another thing it could be is the fuse you are using... there is a dampenner available from most audio shops that can eliminate or at least reduce the whine you hear from your engine in the speakers. Like the other guys said, the first course of action is to clean up the ground... corrosion is common, and it will cause all sorts of goofy things to happen.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well I checked and cleaned the ground. It was dirty so I cleaned it prety well but its still whistling as loud as ever. What else should I check?

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Did you check your other grounds also? Like the engine block to firewall braided wire or the battery to engine block/frame cable. The cab is electrically isolated from the frame so it gets its ground from the firewall connection.
    Also, whenever I mess with any electrical connections I always use dielectric grease on my connections to give it a better connection and help prevent corrosion.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree....the ground is still the problem....check the remaining grounds (engine block to frame, frame to battery, etc)

Those "braided" ground straps don't last forever and many people replace them with a conventional round wire. You might try that if cleaning up the ends doesn't seem to be making any difference.

The dielectric grease is a good idea also....cheap insurance and keeps the air out to prevent oxidation next time. :thumb: