Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

white connector under dash by the ECM?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Aug 26, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm just about DONE customizing this harness for my truck. I notice that there is a white connector near the ECM that connects all the guages, ALDL, VSS, etc. to the ECM. I need to know what this thing plugs into. Here are a couple pics of the beast in question:

This is the connector:
    [​IMG]
    This is the pair of wires that go to the VSS:
    [​IMG]

Ideas? Thanks all!

-Dan

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

What year is the harness from? It might possibly be for the VSS Buffer. I might be able to check if I knew the year of the harness. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also, list all of the wire colors coming out of the plug.

3. KRAZIE87K5

The harness is from a 1991 K5 (V10) that had a 350 in it. I am also assuming its for the VSS buffer since the wires from the VSS sensor run right into that connector. Where the heck does a guy find a VSS buffer @ though?

-Dan

4. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dan, I have two in a drawer right now. One for a 3.73 gear ratio with 35" tires and one for 4.11 gears with 35" tires.

5. KRAZIE87K5

Where did you find them for 35" tires? Did you have them custom made? Where @? I've got 4.10s (I believe) and stock tires on 16" rims (maybe 29").

-Dan

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Unless *I'm* mistaken there should be no VSS on a '91...DRAC (or is it the ecm) is fed straight from the toner ring int he transfer case, no?

No speedo cable=no VSS, at least on the trucks.

7. KRAZIE87K5

Well... you would be correct, except that I'm putting a 91 motor in an 86 truck, with a 465/205 combo. Obviously, that takes things to a whole new level! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So convert it all over to electronic then.

The motor is the same (for all intents and purposes) so putting all the '91 stuff on it (as it should be) won't be that difficult. If you didn't get all the stuff, I feel sorry for you. Going to have to adapt the older cable setup to DRAC, figure out how to run that ECM with VSS if possible, or get the right ECM.

Auto tranny (assuming 700R4/4L60E/4L80E) ECM is going to have to be changed anyways, at least a new PROM.

9. KRAZIE87K5

Now Dorian... you should know better than to ASSuME anything! This ECM had a 700/241 behind it in the past. It did have the toner ring on the output of the 241. I've got the toner ring and sensor... BUT... I've also got the correct sensor to run a VSS signal to the ECM. It plugs right into the speedo output of the 205, and has two wires that plug into the stock VSS plug.

If all I need is the VSS buffer to complete this picture, whats the big issue? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Dan

10. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I purchased them through my local GM dealer when I had my 91 1/2 Suburban, during its various stages. I have been told that they are no longer available. Not really sure about that or not.