Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

White exhaust smoke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PerdidoK5, Aug 16, 2002.

1. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 K5 with a stock 350. Upon acceleration, I get a decent amount of white smoke. It runs good, if a bit weak. I intend on a complete rebuild in the future but not right now. Do any of ya'll have advise? Could it be a carberator adjustment? So far, I have replaced the plugs and the pcv. It has a new filter and fresh oil. I can do the work but Im no diagnostic expert. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Bad news : white smoke comes from water. Does it do it all the time or only when initially cranked and warming up? If it's doing it all the time thats a bad sign, there's water getting in the cylinder somehow (bad head gasket, crack, etc.). /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Woof. Hopefully its just a head gasket and not a cracked head or block. At the minimum, your going to have to make plans on pulling the heads. Another way to check is to fill your radiator all the way to the top and then run it letting it heat up with the cap off. Look for bubbles or some sort of aeration of the water. This does not alway work but can be a useful tool.

4. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

I agree with previous posts water for sure the bubbles
    will tell you.
    If your going to rebuild in near future dump a couple tubes of alumiseal in in it.
    we took a 78k5 from work hunting years ago somthing cracked or blew out on way up looked like it was steam powerd
    put some sealant in cleard up in short order and lasted as a parts getter for the 3 years we used it till sold maybe longer. if head gasket might not seal.
    90jimmy better mecanics through chemistry

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Definently water/coolant. If you run a antifreeze/water mix and you get a large amount of it in the oil, you'd better plan on replacing the bearings to. I don't mean just main and rod, I mean cam also! Coolant does rather nasty things to bearings if its given enough time.

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Haha, stop leak seal. We always use that trick on old junk that isn't worthing having the heads shaved and new gaskets. I'd do that or bite the bullet and do your rebuild. Most smart people dump the stock heads during a rebuild because the cost of fixing old, poor performing, heads would make new, good performing, heads cheaper.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just a Thought, have You Checked the Trans. Fluid Level. When the Diaphram goes bad in the Modulator, the Engine will Pull oil out of the Trans. = White Smoke.

8. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/frown.gif Man, You guys are bumming me out. I was hoping for anything but that. On the note about transmision fluid, It was very low, and still is. I added 2 quarts and it's still dry when I pull the stick. It beging running down the front driveshaft and dripping off the tranfer case. I thought it was an unrelated problem. I may be grasping at straws.
    I will take the advise of additive(s) prolonging the rebuild while I accumulate parts. Does anyone have a nice set of used aftermarket heads for sale? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif I will check into all recomendations, although water in my oil sounds like the most common diagnosis. Thanks a lot. Any more comments would be appreciated. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. nvrenuf

Since the tranny fluid is very low Don may have hit it. Pull the vac hose off of the modulaotr on the tranny, is it wet on the inside? If the diaphram in the modulator is busted the motor will literally suck fluid out of the tranny.

Hey, I'm fairly close to Pensacola do you do much wheeling in the area? If so where?

10. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/blush.gif I can hardly wail till daylight to go check my modulator! I really hope that's what it is. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I'm in West Pensacola but have never been wheeling around here. I just got my truck about 5 months ago and I'm working on it alot to get it road worthy. It's really almost there.. I need to post some pics, I'll work on that.

11. nvrenuf

If you like mud there is a place down off of Hwy 98 called Jones Swamp, real good spot! There are also mud bogs at the fair grounds just about every month.

12. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey John
    The mudbogs were this past weekend. They'll be running 2 or three more months. I believe its the 3rd Saturday of each Month.

Perdido,
    What part of the westside are you on. I live by the airport now but grew up in Grande Lagoon.

13. nvrenuf

Hey Rob, haven't talked to you since the Austin's ride. I've been wanting to come to the mud bogs but just haven't for one lazy reason or another, have you been going to them? Are they during the day or at night? I'm working Saturday's until 5:00, if it's at night I'll try to come next month.

14. Rob 85K5

I was there this past weekend for a bit, first for me this year. Races are supposed to start at 4pm, nothing had started by 5:30 when I had to leave. I was told the slow start was normal. The pit looked pretty dry but they said it had been baking all day. Someone's throttle had stuck open the last time and had gone through the shut down area and through a fence, and a telephone pole fell and broke someone's leg trying to help the guy. Second thought, the announcer kept saying last week, so maybe they are running weekly. I'll have to find out.

15. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

I live in Myrtle Grove right now. I used to live in Grand Lagoon. Where are these mudraces? I don't know anything about them. Where else do you guys go wheeling? A bunch of my son's teenage friends go to Jones Swamp alot, get stuck, ect..

16. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

my truck does the white smoke thing only when i start it /forums/images/icons/frown.gif but very little not even 5 seconds then quits /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif is this a bad thing i was told valve seals sonunded resnable to me, what does this mean,does anybody now,

17. Rob 85K5

The Mud races are at the Pensacola Interstate fairgrounds.
    You have to go 1 street North of the parking entrance and take a left(West) then follow the signs. There is a small place out in Gulf Breeze out by the zoo called Dixie Land. Lots of sand and a little mud. My brother lives in Myrtle Grove on 80th.

18. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

Well thanks Rob. I'll come out for the next race. This weekend? I live on Malvern off of 68th. Real close to your brother.
    I am going to swap out my modulator, I belive the diaphram is bad. Smoke is worse when I add tranny fluid.

19. Rob 85K5

I'd check with USA performance on HWY 29 on whether they are racing this weekend or not.