Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

White gear lube???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DukeBoy88, May 26, 2004.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I just popped the cover off the 14-bolt on my M1008 and the lube was bright white, vanilla milkshake looking. everything inside appears to be ok. 54,000 on the truck. what is this? Fluid up front in D60 appears normal.

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Gear lube + water = gear lube milkshake. Drain it, refill with new lube and check the vent tube.

3. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking, but didn't expect it to be so bright. doing a gear change anyhow so it'll get cleaned out and replaced. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Go ahead and replace it again shortly after install. You might be amazed at just how little water it takes to ruin the fluid.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You have water in that diff and need to replace it imiedately before it damages anything. Check all your seals. If they can leak gear oil out, then can leak water in. Also check your vent tube is routed up high enough.

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Have it completely torn down now, everything getting scrubbed in the parts washer. rinsing the housing with brake cleaner. seals appear ok, no leaks that I know of but I've only had it for 1000 miles. vent tube mounted to bottom of bed. someone may have submarined it before I got it. Installing 3.73's to be my DD, toy-hauler. will change the fluid again soon as well. Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

After you have the vent tube mounted run it back down a few inches (like an upsidedown "J") to make water less likely to enter.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Have it completely torn down now, everything getting scrubbed in the parts washer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like your gonna get all the water out and not have to worry about a second oil change.