Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

White Light Bulbs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, May 1, 2002.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey
    Does anyone know about how to change out our sealed beams for the type of system where you replace the bulb? I’m really trying to get some bright white lights. I upgraded my stock headlights to ones that put more light out on the sides, which was nice but I really like the look of the white bulbs.
    Thanks for any info.
    Anthony

2. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

If you want to give the sealed beams one more try, I am 99% sure that Wagner makes a "Brite Lites" bulb for your truck that is a direct replacement. These are supposedly pretty bright and white appearing.

Otherwise, you will need a sealed beam to composite conversion kit. More than a few companies make these and you might want to do a google search. But for starters, check out:

www.autooptiks.com
    and
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=193409&BQ=

Once you install the conversion housing, you will be free to use whichever H4 bulb you wish, some of which are fake xenon that have the white or blue look that you speak of. A trip to a big auto parts store should turn up a nice selection of H4's.

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Send tony aka ( xplosuv ) a pm for the lights he sells that kind of stuff....mike

4. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Thanks for that info that was just what I was looking for. Do you know any reason that you would not want to switch from sealed to the bulb replacements?

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Hey there anthony...mr east side...lol. Anyways if i member correctly Hella makes what you are lookin for...its a kit that has replicas of the stock headlights except they are designed to take the H series bulbs...can't remeber where you can get them though. I myself would like to find 1157 and 1156 bulbs in the LED version....

Azblazer

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

http://lighting.mbz.org

Try the above link for more info than you ever wanted to know about headlights. I did this to my Blazer and the light output exceeds that of my '91 silverado or my dads '98 silverado. The lenses on the Cibie lamps that he sells are cut/ground so they have a full pattern with no "hot spots" and a clear cut off of light so you don't blind oncoming traffic. Best upgrade i've done. Dan the owner is more than helpful to answer questions and ships as promised. If you have any questions about the swap feel free to ask.
    rugger.

7. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey
    How much did the whole thing cost you to swap out? Did you do the regular bulbs and your high beams? I have the stacked square looking ones. How was the light out put to the sides? I redid my regular lights awhile back and bought the set that spread the light out more on the sides. I loved the change. I would hate to have to loose that. When I did the change out I could never get the those plastic clips to hold the screws after I was done, you know the ones that keep it positioned correctly and I set up a nut and bolt to hold them in there and it worked perfectly after that. Did you change the gauge of the wire when you changed them out or was the stock size good enough? Thanks for the info.
    Anthony

8. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I have a single lamp set up on my truck. Light to the sides is great. I used a dual relay set up , one for highs and lows. I used anchor marine grade 8 gauge wire and connectors for the entire project which probally cost more tan the lamps and bulbs. I also got the lexon stone shields to protect them from stone damage. Im can't remeber what i paid, at the time it didnt matter i had fried my plugs from trying those eagle eyes headlights from JC Whitney. I personally think they have better light output than most modern cars. We Americans tend to put little effort into designing functional vehicle lighting IMO. Looks are more important than function.

9. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Did anybody else see that JCWhitney's webiste is selling these mad cheap?! That scared me a bit! Anyone had any experience with these?

I'm looking at this set.
    88ZX9533W 7" Off-road H-4 Headlight, 90/130-Watt for 2-light System Each 19.99

It says two light "system" do they mean a "system" as one light conversion kit?

Thanks, Shane-

10. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

hose are the first lamps i had bought which fried my wires and and bulb plug. they were a waste of money. They might work ok if you upgraded to a heavy gauge wire / relay setup, but i believe the cut of the lense will leave an undisirable light pattern. If you look at the web site i linked to abouve he even mentions those lights specifically as being junk.
    rugger

I in no way have any connection or recieve benifit from promoting his products, but he does have the best prices on the items he sells.

11. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Which ones off the website you recommended did you buy? I can see the prices but when you click on the products link all it brings up is a link to a NHTSA ALERT!

Thanks, Shane

12. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I bought these
    -200mm x 142mm (7.5" x 5") rectangular, each: H4 high/low beam: $56 Regulatory compliance: ECE (European E-Code); SAE M.
    They are higher priced than the hella's and the JCWhitney specials but the light pattern is better than both. His web site is lacking in the graphical information department. If you have any questions shoot him an email, he's more than willing to help out and answer questions. If you do order them i would get the lexan stones gaurds, i sealed mine with clear silicon so water wouldnt get in them and there holding up great.

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have done the H4 conversion and can honestly say that it was the best money I spent on my 84 in a long time. I will add, however, that the H4 setup is illegal in either some states or the entire country. It has something to do with not being DOT approved, I think.

14. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

While it is illegal it is by far less offensive to oncoming traffic than people who run with thier factory fog/driving lights. I have yet to be pulled over and questioned about them, but i only use the 55/100 watt bulbs. I have some police friends that looked at them and the honestly didnt find them offensive or could they distinquish that they were any different just by looking at them. But as stated you do run the risk.

15. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I didn’t realize that they were an illegal set up is there anything that you can do make it perfectly legal do you know what it is about them that makes them illegal? When you upgraded your wires how long did it take you? Did you find any good deals on wire anywhere?
    Is it mandatory to upgrade the wire or will they end up burning the stock wires?
    Anthony