Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

White Rim road before BB'04

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by jms, Nov 2, 2003.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

White Rim road before BB\'04

It's a bit early to think about BB'04, I know.

But I plan on driving White Rim before the next Bash. This trail is in Canyonlands National Park, rated moderate, 90 miles on dirt, ~140 miles w/ blacktop. At least that's what it sez in the book. I'd like to take 3 days and camp twice, and camping reservations are required in the Park. So I'd like to make my reservations early. If anyone is interested, please let me know, michael

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: White Rim road before BB\'04

It's a little early for me to start making those kind of plans...but I'd be interested in that. I definitely want to spend at least an extra 4 or 5 days there next year. Seems like we just got there and had to leave again this year. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rene

3. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

Me too!!! Hope I'm ready by then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Keep me in the loop

4. jms

I'm going to find out from the Park what is required for reservations. I've seen the trail from the Grand View Overlook last year, and thought then that I ought to drive it, with full camera equipment. I'll keep everyone posted.

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

What kinda time frame you thinkin...soon...right before BB04? Shoot me some details as you put it together...i'm so close i can't miss that...

dw

6. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

Only one stipulation. You got to bring your spotter. I want her to train my new lady friend.... Who knows, by that time there may be a mrs.bill - /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. jms

Bill, my spotter is going to be there; so training will be available /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Doug, I thought to do this just before the next Bash. I hope to come out for EJS and take a look-see at parts of the trail. The main thing though is to see how the Park regulates this trail re camping. I want to know more before I schlepp the truck in over the mountains "Expedition Mode", i.e. roof rack / second spare/extra gas/extra water/camping gear etc. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Guess i'm gonna have ta break down and buy the maob trail book...just delivered the borrowed one back to its heepish owner...

this is more of a long trail ride view awesome scenery correct...no rock hoping etc...

DW

9. jms

[ QUOTE ]

this is more of a long trail ride view awesome scenery correct...no rock hoping etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, supposedly one area that's a bit difficult, other than that relatively easy, book sez suitable for stock high ground clearance SUV. This trail rings more with the "Desertrider" theme that Claudia and I have done in the past, great landscape, being really away from the daily grind, awesome scenery, and just being out there sleeping under the stars.
    Then come back to Moab, clean up in the motel, get all the extra weight off the truck (and into the motel room), and do the rock hopping thing at the Bash. Right now this sounds about perfect to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

got some aweful news at work today...future might include a move back to phoenix.

DW

11. jms

Sorry to hear that. PHX ain't that bad, though. I wish I still lived there. Keep your chin up, don't let it get to you, all the best, michael

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

well its no secret that i prefer phx...due to the lack of cold weather and all my freinds are still there...and freinds are my family...on the other hand the issue isn't that easy as my wifes rather large family is all located here in junction....so she is less willing to move back...but i got a while to see how this all works out and whatever direction things go we are prepared to do what we must for the greater good of our lil 3 unit family...allready got a call back from phoenix with the show up with your tools line...so i'm not feeling as bad as i was yesterday....

are you still working the tbi angle??

DW

13. jms

Good to hear that you have options. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Haven't done anything regarding injection. Actually, I haven't done anything to/with the truck (except grocery shopping) since I'm swamped at work with deadlines, training a new technician in my lab, and just yesterday got another deadline served up in the last e-mail of the day /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

14. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    located here in junction....so she is less willing to move back...

[/ QUOTE ]

II got the solution for ya... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Is'nt Southern Utah (Moab /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif about half way in between. Sounds like a great compromise to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

(he's an hour drive from Moab now)

16. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Bill i think mid point would be closer to blanding or bluff...not to much work there and sadly to say that would not fly...

Its about an hour and a half via I70...closer to the hour mark if i take the back roads thru the canyon...

DW

17. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Hey don't knock me for trying to give you a wheel in paradise every day. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I may be up for something like this, but I'm finding I'm going to have to budget my vacation time a little closer now that I've had another exposure to desert racing. I can see more time spent going fast across the desert, which is not relaxing at all but still gets me going. I'm also trying to plan and budget time and money for a trip down the Baja peninsula. We raced through some gorgeous country and I'd like to go back and spend some time there.

19. jms

It has crossed my mind before to one of these days drive the Baja 1000 race course, but at civilized speeds /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    The fact that it is in Mexico and 'me no hablo' has kept me away so far.

I'm plotting to get my truck in 'expedition' mode (second spare, 15 gal extra gas, 12 gal water in addition to the four i usually have, light camping gear, tools, spares'n stuff ); you wouldn't have an opinion on airbag helper springs for the rear of my Jimmy, would you?

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It has crossed my mind before to one of these days drive the Baja 1000 race course, but at civilized speeds /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    The fact that it is in Mexico and 'me no hablo' has kept me away so far.

I'm plotting to get my truck in 'expedition' mode (second spare, 15 gal extra gas, 12 gal water in addition to the four i usually have, light camping gear, tools, spares'n stuff ); you wouldn't have an opinion on airbag helper springs for the rear of my Jimmy, would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you asking what to use or you're asking if it would be good to use the air bag?
    You could use the ones for the trucks, they work the same.
    I intend to put some on my crewcab after I remove the overloads to make it smoother and still have the hauling capability.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif