Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

white smoke coming out of exhaust????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue Goose, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Blue Goose

Blue Goose Registered Member

I have white exhaust coming out of my tailpipes. It's a brand new rebuilt motor, and I checked my oil, and it was fine. I checked my coolant, and it was a little low, so it must be coolant right?

I noticed a couple weeks ago it had white smoke coming out of the exhaust, I got kinda nervous about it, then it quit. Well, today I am out driving around and I see it come out, it was mostly out of the drivers side exhaust I believe? Anyways, it smoked everyonce in a while, and then it quit later on when I had someone take a look at it with me, so get a second opinion on what color the smoke was (my girlfriend said blue) but it was definetely white.

I also stuck some paper in my exhaust tips, and it was kinda....wet in there? and it was black, black and wet..........hmm? any ideas?

again it burns no oil so anyone have any suggestions? and if it was antifreeze/water, did it hurt my motor any?

anyway I can diagnose this problem???

2. Blue Goose

ttt

could I have a bad head gasket?

I have put about 6,000 miles on this motor, so nothing should be hurt right?

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

might be an intake gasket... as long as its not overheating the head gaskets should be fine.

If you want to know for sure do a leakdown test on your cooling system... if there is any leaks in the gaskets they will show up. Autozone will rent u one for 75 bucks IIRC then they give you the money back when u bring it back.

Don't worry about black and wet... every single exhaust pipe on a combustion motor will look like that. Just carbon from exhaust and condensation inside the muffler when it sits.

Is it steam or smoke?

4. Blue Goose

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Other possibilities...

If your tranny modulator ruptures its diaphram,dextron gets sucked into the intake and burned--and it makes more of a white smoke than motor oil does..it eventually will lower the fluid level in the tranny,and you'll notice slippage..it makes it shift poorly in most cases too,or wont upshift into 3rd.

A master cylinder can leak brake fluid into the booster and it will get burned in the motor too,causing white smoke..added any brake fluid to the rear chamber of the master lately??..

Anti-freeze is the most likely culprit for white smoke..a pressure tester will help make leaks easier to find..many chevy's have tiny cracks in the heads that only weep antifreeze ocaisionally,sometimes "Bars Leaks" or other radiator sealer works to plug them ..if its a head or intake gasket,and enough anti-freeze gets in the crankcase,your bearings wont last for very long.. :doah: :crazy:

6. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

If it is a diesel as you name suggests then water in the fuel and or air in the injector lines can cause white smoke in the exhaust

EDIT, sorry read name of replier

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

What does the exhaust smell like?

8. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

burned antifreeze stinks real bad, nothin else like it.