Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

White Smoke everywhere!!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by luciddreama, Feb 13, 2005.

1. luciddreama

luciddreama Registered Member

Hi there, This may sound like a real bumb question to some of you guys but I could really do with some advice...:(

I started up my truck after it has been stood for about 2 months, and an enormous amount of white smoke came plooming out the back!!! I have 2 straight through pipes and it came only from the right pipe. I thought the it would clear but still after 5 mins of running it was still coming out just as much! :confused: The left pipe smoked a little but cleared quickly.

The truck is stood on a slight slope leaning (not much) with the drivers side down hill...

If any one could help (with some good news please) :crazy: I would be very greatful

Thanks guys and gals

LD

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I would guess that since it is all coming from one side and that it is white smoke that you have a blown head gasket. See if the smoke smells like antifreeze, check the coolant level, and check the oil (if the oil looks like a milkshake you have a blown head gasket). Burning oil would usually be blue and being too rich would be black smoke.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Go to the smoke and take a whiff, if it smells like anitfreeze, its a head gasket:frown1: .

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

or a cracked head... or a cracked block... so many times people are quick to blame the head gasket. what's the weather like where you are? if its cold like it is here (been below freezing ALOT) there's a pretty good chance that your coolant could have frozen inside the block or head, and cracked the casting.

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Or you can take off the radiator cap while its running(do it right after you start it)..... If she spits at you it's blown.

6. luciddreama

Thanks Guys for you amazing quick responce... not so much thanks for the bad news...
    :frown1:
    How would that of happened?? Is it some thing that happens when the truck stands for too long? Is it a big job to put right? Is there something I could have done to prevent it?
    Sorry for all the questions but I don't want it happening again...:crazy:

Thanks Again

LD

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If the block is cracked that is most likely from the antifreeze freezing. Blown head gaskets can happen out of nowhere but a lot of times they are caused by overheating. If the truck didn't overheat, and you haven't ever removed the head before (i.e. not torqued the head back down correctly) there is nothing you could have done. It is not terribly difficult to replace a head gasket, but if you have never done it you should probably plan a whole day for it (make sure to get the heads checked for straightness).

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Like beater said it could be a cracked something.... If you live where it gets cold you might have had some antifreez-cickles in your cooling system and the rapid temperature change may have cracked the block or head. If its a head gasket it usually happens because it got real hot at one time or another.... did it overheat the last time you ran it?

9. luciddreama

It did get a little hot but that was a while ago...
    I have driven it since then and yes I live in the uk and while it has been stood it has had snow and ice to deal with...
    Bugger!! :(

You guys are great thanks for your help if any of you want a trip over to the uk to fix a head gasket let me know...:D free Bed and meals... lots of forest to play in and an endless supply of beer.