Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

White smoke in exhaust...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Oct 2, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

usually indicates water/antifreeze in exhaust, right?

I note there's also some kind of ATF leak, maybe from the tranny tailshaft, so what I saw may have been ATF burning off the muffler :crazy:

I did a compression check, and all eight are 130-140, well within the 120 min 150 max specified by messr. Chilton.

Should I tear the heads off anyway (blecht), or based on the compression check can I assume I'm okay?

I did check the water level in the radiator, which was low ... so I refilled it. Is the water level in the radiator supposed to stay at whatever level I fill it to, or will it equalize with the overflow bottle or something?

Aarrgh.

-- A

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm betting its tranny fluid on the exhaust..

if it held compression, your probably ok in that department... a pressure test of the cooling system will tell ya for sure if your losing coolant... if you can't beg/borrow/rent one, at least check for bubbles when its filled and running...

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Look for bubbles in the overflow tank, presumably ... or in the radiator?

-- A

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

radiator... its a sign that combustion from a cylinder is getting in the cooling system...

cooling system pressure tester is a great tool.. i don't know if Autozone rents em, maybe..

leakdown tester is handy too.. it'll tell you exactly where a cylinder is having an issue.. valve, rings, head gasket, etc..

5. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

You can also check your upper radiator hose when its running and warmed up, if its hard like it has pressure then it could be your head gasket. But from the compression i would think your ok. And i definately wouldnt tear into the heads if you dont have too.