Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

White smoke out back only when >>>>>>>

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey gang,
    When climbing a steep grade on the Hwy as the long hill makes my motor 'work' to keep up speed (60-65mph)and RPM I notice that the rear begains bellowing out white smoke. What could this be? This is the only time I notice any smoke comming out of my exhaust??? Once the grade levels out the smoke goes away??
    specs=
    350 w/465 4-speed, Edlebrock 1901 Q-jet & MSD Ignition, Hedmen headers w/2chamber Flowmasters. Timing set to 8BTDC

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the smoke is bellowing from the pipes I thought mine was doing the same when I would pull a trailer. It took someone following me to tell me it was coming from beneath and not the pipes despite what it looked like from my side mirrors. Mine turned out to be the tranny fluid was getting hot and spewing out the breather tube. I know you have a standard tranny VS my Th350 that did this but it still could be from somewheres else. White smoke is usually an indication of water in the exhaust. A bit confusing as to why it would do this only on uphill slopes

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Dunno but bring it to Hollister and we can take a look at it /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You may be onto something cuz I do remember smelling burning oil, like when you spill some on yer headers and fire up the motor and it burns off! Mabie breather tube or something? I know my motor is starting to leak more than ever.....

Oh and Frizz I will be there probly around 9-9:30. Are you still going to your sis's place first?

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I was looking at your album just now...what rear axle you running? Picture 6 of 24 almost looks like a ford 8.8 diff cover just from the little bit I can see. I'm sure its not just got me curious I don't know 1st Gen's that well....

6. blzr83

blzr83 Registered Member

I believe he has a Dana 60 out back.....

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup that is a Dana60 SF w/35spline 1.5 MarkWillams axle shafts & Powr-lok posi.

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Yup,Im leavin tomorrow morning to go hang with her and then bringin her with on sun.I will be there about 8.

Heehee,I cant wait!!

9. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Burt, You'd better find out if it is your tranny fluid. Remember what happened to Triaged's Blazer when his tranny fluid spilled over? Well here is a reminder.
    http://coloradok5.com/blazerfest2/triaged2main.jpg
    Don't let hollister claim another first gen./forums/images/icons/wink.gif (Well not really claim since nothing happened to Dan's rig)

10. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

White (blueish white) smoke usually indicates burning oil. I think you have a small oil leak dripping on the exhaust system somewhere. During normal driving, your exhaust stays cool enough that the oil doesn't burn. When you hit a grade and the engine starts working harder, the exhaust temp climbs and enters the range where the leaked oil begins to burn on the exhaust. Check for oil on your exhaust system from hedders to mufflers and you will probably find a spot where oil is leaking on it. Good luck.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I think I need to replace the wire that got "crispy" from that fire (the one to my starter). I had to change the starter out last sunday and that wire cracked when I tried to bend it.