Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

White smoke- PLEASE help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72THING, Feb 18, 2002.

1. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    I want to buy a 350 motor from a friend out of a wrecked '81 motorhome. The engine runs great but has been sitting a while. It has a remanufactured Quadrajet on an Edelbrock performer aluminum intake. I went and started it up and it fired right up and idled fine and had excellent oil pressure. But when I rev it up, there is some white smoke coming from the exhaust. Its not like a huge cloud of smoke, just a little puff when revved up to about 4000 RPM. There is absolutley no smoke at idle. I was thinking it was running rich because it sorta smelled like gas when it came out of the exhaust, but i thought black smoke was an indication of running rich? I let it warm up to operating temp, but it still did it. I don't thing its a blown head gasket or cracked head because there doesn't appear to be any water in the oil and the radiator is completely full. Can you guys help me out? I'm not sure what it is. I can get the motor with all brackets, accessories, alt., PS pump, and A/C compressor, starter, etc. for $300-- and my truck needs a motor really bad. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

One of my dads friends that is an ex Marine Mechanic said that that problem can be oil leaking past the valves into the motor. I have a problem with a little white smoke on startup, and he said that is what my problem most likely is. Your problem is a little different, but it might be the same problem, but I don't know for sure.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. gotmilkgotlift

gotmilkgotlift Registered Member

had that problem ounce, turned out to be the rings. could be from sitting and go away if the cylinders are rusted but most likely it will get worse

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My buddy bought a car with a very similar problem.
    It had been sitting for a long while and it would blow smoke outta the exhaust like you are describing...
    Turns out the rings werern't lubricated from sitting so long. He took out the sparkpulgs and shot just a little bit of oil to where it would seep down and lubricate the rings... and badda bing! The $1000 POS car has nothing wrong with it and has been running for about 6 months now[​IMG]
    It couldn't hurt to take those spark plugs out and see what they look like too... any oil or water on em? Usually the white smoke will be water or steam.
    my 2 cents for ya

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo19>MY 1972 K/5</a>[​IMG]
    Ryan B.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

It could be a number of things, your valve guides could be worn... it might be condensation in the exhuast pipes (prolly not cuz it only comes out when you rev it higher)
    prolly burning a LITTLE bit of water or oil if the smoke has blue tint to it... mine smokes ALOT on start ups and its all white and due to bad piston rings and valve guides. I wouldnt worry about a little bit coming out when reving...

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 6"susp, 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.

6. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

I would go with Ryan's advice first, start with the cheapest fix then work your way up to what the others have said, that would suck if you spent a lot, or passed up the motor for something that was an easy fix because of the time standing without fire up

"What ever happened to my Rock N Roll?"

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! I could only get out the back four spark plugs because sheet metal was in the way. They looked ok (grayish tan color), but smelled like gas. I think either the carb needs some work from sitting or most likely the cylinders need a little pre-lubrication. I will definitely hold off on starting it up and revving until I squirt some oil into the cylinders. I have decided to get the motor because it is too good a deal to pass up and it doesn't leak and burn oil like my motor does now. Thanks for your help.

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

How long had it been since it was started? Could just be the motor burning out moisture that got in while it was sitting.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

9. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

It had sat for only 2 days since I started it up and revved it up. My friend had started it a couple days earlier to show me it ran, but he never let it warm up. I let it warm up, so I didn't think it was condensation. But how long does it take to burn out the condensation? It would be good if that was all it was. Thanks,

Will

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It all depends on how much is in there. My suburban did it in broad clear skies at 3 in the after noon! Sometimes it just happens. Let it run for a while, say about 20-30 minutes, and if it goes away, that solves your problem.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

11. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

My truck use to smoke at high rpms. It was the oil rings gunked up and stuck to the pistons, and oil was getting by them. To fix it (mabey, worked for me) just when you do an oil change, or if it is a quart low now, add one quart of tranny fluid to the crankcase to take the place of a quart of oil. The tranny fluid is very high detergent oil and might break up that gunk.

No, thats not a dent in my truck's body. I call it my truck's armor.