Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

White Smoke??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Aug 31, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

I asked this question a little while ago and got a few responses....Im still having problems with white smoke coming from the tailpipe..noticed it happened when i stomped on the pedel to accelerate in traffic, and has happened a few times when i start it up.....the coolant level looks ok...the cold level is always the same in the resivior... and the thing never heats up above average, but it still appears to be using oil...just wondering if i need to do the dreaded and take it to a mechanic to see if the head is ok?? :)..by the way, i got a suggestion to do a compression test...i was wondering how complex this is and what kind of tools i would need...Im just hoping the damn problem isnt the head!! is there anyway to tell by checking the spark plugs??
    thanks for any responses!!

2. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

A compression test tool is a gauge that is connected to a rubber plug with a valve at the end, or one that is connected to a hose and a fitting the screws into the plug hole. I shall ask about the white smoke prob and let you know what the prob would be unless someone beats me to it. I'll try for tomorrow.

3. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

To do a compression test you have to remove all the spark plugs and then screw in the compression gauge into 1 cylinder at a time. Then you get in the truck open the throttle all the way and crank it over till you hear the motor make 4 revolutions. Do this for each cylinder then subtract the lowest from the highest reading and work from there, Im not positive on how much they can vary but if anyone is lower than 100 its beat. Write down which cylinder is which. Say, if the head gasket is cracked in between 2 cylinders that is how you would know it was cracked there with the low reading in the adjacent cylinders. I hope it isnt the head either cause you will probably shell out as about as much as the truck is worth, maybe less but still. If you need any other help just ask. Also your coolant could be old and mite need a change.

JD
    88 Gmc Jimmy

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Try this first. Check the oil at the dipstick. If its milky, you're in for it. if not, drive awhile and check again. If it is milky, then you know coolant is getting in there somehow. Then do the compression test.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]