Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

White topper???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by unick, Jan 10, 2004.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 K5 and I showed someone a pic of it and they said something like "Wow a white topper" Ist has white over the cab. Is this more rare than a normal K5 because if it is Im not gonna paint the top. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

thanx
    Nick

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i have no idea if its special, but i LIKE IT!!!

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    Mine was a forest service truck and I have special green paint with the white top. I know some of the fire department gov. blazers were red with a white top. I always thought the government blazers got the white tops besides the cucv. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i thought they were all white ? thats all ive ever seen, but i rarely see any here, i did onmce have a 72 K5 and it was black top, according to red book most were black in 72 and most were white in 71, ill have to look again, but anyways all of the K5 i have ever seen were white top, that includes a 77 k5, 80 k2 2wd, and an 86 or so gmc jimmy around the corner thats been in garage for abotu ayear and finally was driven the other night when 75-k5 and jlaughner were here, they got to see it,

now that i think about it i do know of one with black top,. its an 87-91 k5, a towing guy has it, its gn metal gray with black top, thats the only k5 other than the 72 i had years ago that had a black top.

hmm

or do you jsut mean the metal part of the roof, over the front seats are only ?

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My '79 started blue with a white top. I got a buddy with a red '78 K5 and white top, another '87 I know of is red with a white top, and an '89 blue with a white top, marv springers K5 had a white top. Come to think of it the non white tops are probably the rare ones.

6. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

My 87 K5 is grey with a grey top, but the po said he had it painted and I can see some spots where the paint has chipped off on the fiberglass revealing white; ergo I assume the top used to be white?

7. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

my '88 is blue with a matching color top. and it was used on the alameda air force base to haul jeeps around. dunno if the air force boys repainted the top or not. there are no chips or anything that looks like white or black under the blue.

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

my 85 was red with a white top before it got painted.

9. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

According to the brochures for the 1985 model at least, the standard trim for the K5 was body color paint with white color top unless you opted for the body color top.

So it could be had either way. Or at least that's what I gather from the little reading I've done on the 1985 model.

10. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Im not talking about the fiberglas being white Im talking about the roof over the cab.

11. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Im not talking about the fiberglas being white Im talking about the roof over the cab.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right... but I was under the impression that if you opted for the white fiberglass topper, you got a white color-keyed roof on the cab as well. No?

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

All the white glass tops I mentioned and have seen came with a white half cab also.

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My sisters 80 K5 is blue with white stripe down the side(silverado) with white topper and white over cab....still stock paint.

14. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Here's my '80. Hard to see, but it is white to the windshield.
    [​IMG]

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right... but I was under the impression that if you opted for the white fiberglass topper, you got a white color-keyed roof on the cab as well. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

No

The white toppers were an option, the stock got the fiber glass top one color and the rest of the cab in one or two tone and didn't match the top.
    That was an option on White tops to look like the earlier ones, the full convertibles.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Like the white top, not many around here.

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same here... I haven't seen very many white roofed blazer which is why I thought it was a gov option. Oh well.

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yep, my 84 has a white top and a white roof...

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

umm well befor the kid who had it befor me went crazy with black spray paint on it , mine was a 2 tone grey and white..grey in the middle..and had a white top, but since it was white anyway i suppose that dont matter.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif