Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whithc flip is best: ORD v. SPRINGER

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Mar 7, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i want to do a shackle flip in the rear of my 3/4 ton suburban but what kind, the springer looks very cool but the ord is pretty common. i want some more flex and to get rid of my blocks so what should i do? money is a factor here.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

As always, depends on what you want.

Springer costs a little more but you get longer, softer springs and amazing flex. A huge return on investment if that's what you want. You don't have to go drilling out rivets because you use the stock hanger in the stock location, however, you do need to weld in the forward frame mount for the track bar. Of course, that's what I chose, so I'm biased.

ORD flip is common and works well, good rep, plus saves a few bucks. Of course, if your into really into saving $$$ you could always do the "cut and drop" or use the front hanger from a rear spring rather than the ORD kit. No welding required, but removing rivets is loads of fun (no, I really mean it!) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I was originally planning on doing the ORD or cut and drop (front hanger doesn't work for 1 tons) but, after seeing the Springer in action, well, as they say, the rest is history.

Basically it comes down to what you want. Look at all the factors and decide what works for you. Both setups work well and are easy to understand. IMO, all this is going to get you, is a bunch of personal opinions... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Is the Springer still a bolt up w/ 56" leaves?

Personally I would go with the ORD type. I am not a big fan of goofy type shackles. But the springer is the only goofy shackle I would think about running. I like how the panhard bar is part of the kit! That is one of the things I dislike about most other kits. Also do you tow? Marv does not recomend the springer for towing.

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

anyone have pics of the springer setup?

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Yes.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/marv_springer>http://community.webshots.com/user/marv_springer</a>

Marv

6. BadDog

No, not unless you want to find springs 4" longer than the 57" F150 springs. Of course, if your willing to move the hangers (like I did) you can run any spring you like, including the 56" GMs (like I am right now) or the 57" F150s (like I will be running turned backwards).

Oops, forgot to mention the towing thing. However, the flips do affect towing/hauling ability as well. Specifically, flips remove the "rate approaching infinity" behavior under heavy loads, which, in turn, was the motivation for running the tension shackles on trucks in the first place.

7. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Springer all the way---if you want flex, soft ride, get rid of blocks all the way to 6" reccommended not to tow w/ it.

ORD---Kinda softer ride, flex didnt really improve (for me), only 4" of lift. any higher and you could have bought the springer. you can tow w/ it

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Marv and Scooby-

I like the springer setup, but what is the total for the setup, and what all actually gets replaced? And are the posts above correct in saying that something needs to be welded to the frame? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I thought that you aren't really supposed to weld much of anything to a GM frame... for the same reasons that the factory either riveted or bolted EVERYTHING to the frame... Not too sure that I like welding my frame for much of any reason...

9. BadDog

I ran a frame machine (and was part owner in a shop that did insurance work and rebuit totals) for several years, believe me, the frames can be welded successfully. I've cut, spliced, extended, shortened, and grafted to truck frames MANY times. As long as you know what your doing, there is no problem. The factory used rivets for several reasons, cheap/fast assembly, and it lets the frame flex as they were designed to do.

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

With Springer's setup what is the actual lift height assuming it was installed on a stock height K5?

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have a 3/4 ton suburban, what length are my springs?

and marv... would you reccommend the setup for my suburban? does it behave differently on a sub? and just how much gets replaced in it? and of course how much $$$ would it be? if i can use my springs is it cheaper? or would i have to fing springs on my own anyway?

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

how are you gonna fix all the cracks without welding?

I am with Triaged, goofy leaves are no good, droop is useless

13. SCOOBYDANNN

Of course Marv is the final word on this so don't hold me to it. but last I checked it was ~$500 w/ him supplying all the parts (springs, drop brackets, shackles, bushings, stop bracket, track bar) but on his website (which i can't seem to open any more) he lists all but the drop brackets you can buy yourself. I had a person that knows welding and is very picky about what he welds on (if it aint safe he won't do it) and he had no problem welding on my frame. I know ~$500 sounds a little steep, but you figure you are going to buy new leaf springs for the rear---just the leafs are going to cost you mabye just a little less, but w/ the springer you get all this stuff with an extremly good ride and tremendous flex. here is a pic of the stuff you get for ~$500 http://4x4.alloffroad.com/images/springersusp.jpg.

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Scoobydann
    What is the height change from stock to the springer?

15. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

if i remember correctly its 4 inches of lift on a stock set up and yes i would go Springer all the way, why ? cuz ive seen it in action and man that thing is insane /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

16. Glock Girl

Glock Girl Registered Member

I am not too familiar with the springer but it seems like it would be intresting if you were to catch some good air (gotta go to silver lake a few times in your life) it there a way to lock everything together? I dont think I would be too crazy about having that much extension slamming back together, as you hit the ground at 30 MPH.

17. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Tru dat glockgirl... Can anyone vouch for how the springer handles landings? I can only imagine that violently compressing that system might not be the best thing for it! Expecially not the rear bump stops! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Does anyone have the cost of the COMPLETE springer system? I have a huge tax return coming, and have about $1000 to spend on a few things... if I could squeak this in, I would be REALLY happy! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. SCOOBYDANNN

Marv is usually on during the week, give him till monday and he will most likly reply. and i dont know about the landing ??

19. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

therobzilla said he had about $500.00 into his. If you want lots of flex this system is amazing. I dont think it would work very well for jumping, and it's not reccommended for towing. The system is for extreme flex and when you go to extremes you have to sacrifice something.

20. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

yea if he came up with a lock down system I think he'd get a lot of fence sitters with it.