Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who actaully has rear caddy calipers in the rear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rugger03, Oct 10, 2003.

1. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I've been hearing conflicting stories, On wether caddy calipers will efectivley hold a truck with the mechanical ebrake. I've been told that you cant get enough leverage on the arm no matter hom tight you pull it. So i want to hear if you have them, or have first hand knowledge from working on them if they work or what it takes them to work. Any infor mation is appreciated.

Cheers, rugger

Once again no third hand stories please

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I actually have them on the rear of my truck.... But the Ebrake isn't hooked up yet.... So I have no first hand knowledge... A good friend of mine uses them and he has broken one of the pins that go into the caliper by using it as a cutting brake.... You be the judge... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have them on mine, holds good enough for me. If your trying to rate them against the stock drum brake for holding power they will never hold as good as the drum parking brake system because the drum shoes have more surface holding area.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have them. I have the ebrake hooked up.
    I never had drum ebrake functioning so I don't know how it compares, but i can kill the trucks' engine (manual tranny) by hitting the ebrake at a slow crawl.

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Mike, How about a complete run down on how you got that kind of holding power. Some pictures would also be nice.

6. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I've got them on my truck with the e-brake hooked up. The problem I have, is when the e-brake is adjusted for no drag when not engaged, it's not enough to hold the truck when it is engaged. If I adjust the cable to hold the truck when engaged, it drags when not engaged.

I plan to use a lever type system to increase the pull from the stock e-brake pedal. It'll just be a simple lever with the pivot point off center to allow for more movement of the actuator arm.

Thomas.

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Stoop,
    We need to get together again and talk shop about these actuators... I've got two ebrake levers int he garage I plan on using and plan on getting third... Left and Right: individual control. Center lever: Ebrake for both... Let me know what's going on! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

what year Caddies can be used, i checked a 1989 eldo that had rear disc, and those were way to small.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

76 - 78 eldo calipers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I have them. I have the ebrake hooked up.
    I never had drum ebrake functioning so I don't know how it compares, but i can kill the trucks' engine (manual tranny) by hitting the ebrake at a slow crawl.

[/ QUOTE ] Do you have an adjustable Proportioning valve on your truck?

I still haven't hoocked up the cables yet. I did have the rear wheels off the ground with the truck High idling in gear (with tires on so a lot of enersia) and I was able to stop both wheels with a box wrench on the bolt for the parking brakes. That is stop BOTH wheels with one brake. I have a detroit locker so it acts like a spool. It's wasn't all that hard to do it either.

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you have an adjustable Proportioning valve on your truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I got the brass 4 wheel disc prop valve from inline tube.

Bill, I'll try to get some pics in the next couple of days. I have TSM brackets, with the AZK braided line kit, and then my fab'd brackets to both locate the ebrake line and also to bolt the AZK SS brakeline kit to. Just for info, my calipers are mounted so that the ebrake cable is on top of the axle and not on the bottom. Yes, that means my bleeders are upside down. Also, I had to get a little inventive with the brake hard line routing.
    Like I said, I'll see if I can find my digital camera and take a few pics.

-- Mike

12. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Hey Bruce,

Sure, anytime. This Sat I'll be under the Z most of the day in the garage ... feel free to stop on by. I'll PM ya my #.

Thomas.

13. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Just an Idea with you guys running Rear calipers, why don't you plumb in a Micro Lock inline for your rear e- brake system. No cables to mess with, just hold the brake pedal to the floor and flip the lever and wola- parking brake. Just my .02 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Just my $.04.... But Line locks(Even though I have some on my truck right now..) will NOT act like a ebrake! The whole reason you want a lever for a ebrake is incase you loose the hydrolic braking ability! IE: Bust a brake line! Line locks work great for part time use, but a line lock will not act as a perminate ebrake aplication! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif HTey bleed off over time and will actually release your brakes allowing the vehichle to roll! Not too mention that the hydrolic preasure you are keeping against your brakes will in turn make your calipers wear out faster! All these are reasons why we don't use line locks as ebrakes.... However they do pass for a ebrake if you are just trying to inspect your vehichle and get an inspection sticker! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Won't pass california's requirement for e-brake. California says it must be a mechanical e-brake.

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

God Bless Texas! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Texas is required to have a functional mechanical ebrake also - god knows I wouldn't have bothered unless I was required too /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok here's some pics - all togteher than are about a meg so sorry if you're on dialup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-- Mike