Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who actaully has rear caddy calipers in the rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rugger03, Oct 10, 2003.

1. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I've been hearing conflicting stories, On wether caddy calipers will efectivley hold a truck with the mechanical ebrake. I've been told that you cant get enough leverage on the arm no matter hom tight you pull it. So i want to hear if you have them, or have first hand knowledge from working on them if they work or what it takes them to work. Any infor mation is appreciated.

Cheers, rugger

Once again no third hand stories please.

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

JMS, I would like to know just how well the brake holds on a steep hill. We (AZ-Kickin) have developed a e-brake with lever bracket and cable that all work correctly however the pedal in the cab does not provide enough leverage to hold the truck. If yours will actually hold the truck on a steep incline I would like to talk to you about it. I do have some ideas but they will increase the cost of the product and I would like to avoid that if possible.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I was driving and older Cadillac the other day at work and I noticed it had a ratcheting style parking brake on the cars with rear disc brakes. Im wondeing how hard it will be to convert one of these assemblies to use on a truck.

4. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I'm running with the caddy calipers and the e-brake will only hold it on a slight grade. It's not ideal but the advantages of running disc vs drum was worth it in my opinion.

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bill, I'll try it this weekend and will let you know. I would find it difficult to believe that my hack job bracket would work better than your kit. If I got the geometry right, it surely was luck. Also, you can see that the bracket is low and can get hung up on a rock - that happened on the passenger side already. I actually considered your kit, it looks far better than my stuff. My problem is that the axle is a D60FF, and the caliper is in the 9 o'clock position, so I couldn't see how your kit could be used on my setup.

michael

[/ QUOTE ]

We have changed the bracket (3 revision) so that it mounts to the caliper bolts so it would not matter what axle you have or its position. The problem is with the brake pedal and as was just stated with the racheting pedal. That may work but its one more part to round up from a car that is disapearing fast.

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Great info guys, This is what i was hoping for. I have seen this talked about on a few different pages and had seen enough concern on holding power. I was hoping for an answer/ solution to be developed. I just cant see having rear disks then having to use a transfer case brake to hold the truck. I think i will check out the idea of swapping in the ratcheting ebrake pedal to in the mean time, never hurts to explore all ideas.

rugger

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

cant seeit im not logged in. copy and paste it please

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

try out this. it looks like a gm caliper. maybe they modifies it?????
    [​IMG]

or web page

anyone work at a chevy dealer and can tell???

69k5

10. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I'm working on it, im worried the page its linked to might persue legal action if i copy and past. Those are the calipers in question.

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

hey bill and sean.can you preload the ebrake lever a little by putting a little tention on the lever with the adjustment in betwwen the front and rear cables?just a thought,but im sure you have tried that.im thinking the solution may be a handbrake lever.my subaru had a long ass one that would move a whole foot when you yanked on it.but that would be a little work also and would require a new cable of correct length.

12. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    try out this. it looks like a gm caliper. maybe they modifies it?????
    [​IMG]

or web page

anyone work at a chevy dealer and can tell???

69k5

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a 1979 caliper. Problem with them is they only seemes to make the left (or right) side so for proper position of the bleed screw you have to mount one forward and the other back. Otherwise, if you mount them in the same orientation you have to pull one to bleed it. One nice thing is the integral spring and mount that forces the lever to stay released. I worry that my 78 caddy calipers will pickup a vine and lock a tire or at least severly burn the rotor b4 I notice it....

13. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That is a 1979 caliper. Problem with them is they only seemes to make the left (or right) side so for proper position of the bleed screw you have to mount one forward and the other back. Otherwise, if you mount them in the same orientation you have to pull one to bleed it. One nice thing is the integral spring and mount that forces the lever to stay released. I worry that my 78 caddy calipers will pickup a vine and lock a tire or at least severly burn the rotor b4 I notice it....

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, the '79 Eldorado caliper's e-brake lever return spring wraps around the housing. Unless they added the bottom plate to use adifferent spring, which seems like a pointless mod, because all it would do would be change the direction of the lever pull.

14. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

ARe you sure that's not a seville ebrake caliper? Just wondering.

In the post yer part numbers post, I mentioned that the GM part numbers given for the lever and spring are wrong. Well, the lever and springs those parts number got me look just like those in thta caliper pic.
    I would like to know what that really is because I'd like to sell them instead of just eating it.
    TIA

15. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

What kinda gripes me about this Caddy Eldorado rear disc brake caliper problem is, one write-up says the ebrake arms & springs are available from GM, well they are not, and are NOT going to ever be again! I did read a write up somewhere, oh yeah, off a link at TSM, that they mounted the calipers on opposite sides (ie: Rt. on Left, & Left on Rt.) and the ebrake seemed to work good. This helped with the problem of running the ebrake cable under the axle. Sorry for the rant & this being so long..........

16. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I disagree...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, could be a seville... it's been a couple of years since I pulled them off a 79 in the JY. I remeber it being an eldo but it could have been a seville... Whatever it is I am 99% sure it was produced for 1979 year only.

17. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

well ive bben looking in the wromg places. the tsm page said "large" and "gm" so i figured it was a performance part or something. i have been trying to find a pic of a rear caliper off a vette or z28. i was gonna go to the parts storew and dealership later. ill keep you posted. i know that you can get vet rear ones for 50.00 new but i couldnt find a pic to see if there was an ebrake. also being a gm part makes any tsm claims of ownership and exclusivity BS. ill let you know how it goes today maybe theyll let me test drive one.

is that aprt number n the left side by the banjo bolt?? i cant tell.

rugger03

dont worry about copy and paste. i found enough info to know what you were talking about without the copy and paste.

69k5

18. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

no luck today. i will have to wait till my friend is working to see the calipers., the other guy was a butt and the dealership was closed

69k5

19. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

JMS/Michael, Thanks for the extra effort /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I will have to install this on my own truck to really enderstand whats wrong. I went back and looked at your picture of the ebrake and our bracket will require being mounted closer to the top or forward. I have never seen anyone mount it so far back but it did make it easier to install the cable to the lever.

20. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

BTT /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif