Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??? Who all has a K5 AND an F-Body ???

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 350350, Jan 28, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I find myself struggling between spending what little spare change I have on my K5 or my F-Body. (Pic Below. It's served from my ultra-undependable server so it may or may not be there at any given moment...)

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The K5 is easiest to have fun in legally. Trail riding is slow in general and more suited to making friends and being in a group environment.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The Z28 goes really damn fast! But to have fun in it you pretty much are always breaking the law! Dragstrip trips are once per week max, and you're generally racing against other people instead of working with them as you would on a trail.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Mods for the K5 are generally cheaper.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Mods for the Z28 are generally cooler.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Tires are expensive for both!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif 'The Boy' (AKA his nickname Bubba) thinks I'm the coolest Dad ever for having both a 'Bubba Truck' (he thinks it's HIS truck!!!) AND a 'Green Race Car'...

Anybody else have this struggle going on in their head/driveway/garage??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Paul 'x' /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[​IMG]

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a K-5 and several 3rd gen Camaros. Recently I have been milling over getting rid of my Camaros and buying some more Harley's. The Blazer has been basically mine for 32 years so there is no getting rid of it, it has become somewhat of an appendage.

I am building an 88 R/S right now with an old school 383, tunnel ram, Super T-10 4 speed, and a bunch of other old school parts and pieces. Kind of mixing tradition with some modern technology.

Here is a picture of my 89 R/S. It had a 305 now it has a 400 small block. Just waiting for the 5 speed to grenade.. Also have Centerline Auotdrags on it now. I will try to find a recent pic.

John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is one with the Centerlines if it shows up....

[​IMG]

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Fixed my Pic!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I still get a red x

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

not an fbody, but im contemplating selling my k10 and buying an LT1 impala ss or caprice and doing an impala body kit and some mods to it..

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Recently I have been milling over getting rid of my Camaros and buying some more Harley's.

[/ QUOTE ] Ever thought of getting a 70 1/2 to a 73 Camaro ??? Love those all Hot Rodded out. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif This would be a good start for a Hot Rod.

7. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Fixed my Pic!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can everyone see my picture, my avitar, and my Signature 'Paul 'X' now??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeap, I can see it.

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I have a 92 Yukon 2-door and a bunch of f-bodies. I like f-bodies so much I started a business specializing in them.

Right now I have a 79 SE TA, a 79 TA (for sale), an 81 TA (for sale), and am buying an 89 IROC vert when I sell the 79 and 81. I'm quite addicted to them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

My husband's baby is his 70 Camaro that we are modifying for a pro touring appeal, currently has a 350, T350, stock 10 bolt w/ 2.73 open, L88 fiberglass hood, 3 piece rear spoiler, original rally wheels, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ 40 series orig. Flows....
    [​IMG]

My baby is my 83 k5 caddy powered beast that I drive daily(specs in signiture)...
    [​IMG]

We go through the which to spend money on first and my husband was very giving last tax refund and allowed me to buy the 83 and get it road worthy (that was of course after 3 months of begging /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ). Now its his turn this year since the 83 has been so reliable and lately given us no issue's. In fact just tonight we bought a 94 Firebird Formula that is going to be nicely donating its drivetrain and some interior to our 70, mmmm Lt1 (the Firebird has been severely rolled, will get a pic up tomorrow). Since we are both so devoted to our car fetish we have to share the expenses and we also share in the wrenching, 50-50 no if and or but's about it.

Of course the 70 gets put on the back burner more often then mine because its mainly a summer car but guarantee when warm weather hits you can't keep him away from fiddling with the Camaro. My husband honestly doesn't enjoy driving the blazer like I do except when its time to show it off then he refuses to let me drive, he is proud of it but like my snow camo'd 79 he refuses to drive it daily thinks its too much work (its the gas bill that scares him, he enjoys 48 mpg in his 79 Civic too much).

btw....some very nice rides everyone has /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. JDBlazer454

Here is our latest F body edition to the household, I hope no one gets jealous over this bad boy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

12. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is our latest F body edition to the household, I hope no one gets jealous over this bad boy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see any of your pictures!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. JDBlazer454

Strange because they show up fine on mine /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My 70's webpage <<This is a link to my webpage devoted to my husbands 70 and at the bottom there is a pic of the 94.

14. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Strange because they show up fine on mine /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My 70's webpage <<This is a link to my webpage devoted to my husbands 70 and at the bottom there is a pic of the 94.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see them from home but not from work! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

At work there is no internet surfing policy, mostly common-sense-don't-do-it-all-day kinda thing, but for some reason every once in a while I find a site I can't get to, or only part of a site. ???

That's one sweet Firebird!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Where'd you get that body kit? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously though, I watch ebay pretty close to see what LT1/T56 combos are going for and would much rather buy a whole car to do a swap right. I would like to do an LT1/4L60E into my '78 Malibu and an LT1/T56 into a 4x4 S10 Blazer. Would you mind disclosing what you paid for the 'Bird in its present state? I know that just the motor/trans and wiring/computer would sell for $2000-$3000 on ebay depending on mileage and other miscellaneous details such as location/shipping etc. PM me if you want or no problem if you don't want to disclose... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That will make one sweet combo for the older Camaro... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. JDBlazer454

We only had to shell out $1000 for it and the car still runs but the rear axle is snapped off on the left side right behind the rear disc backing plate. We figure to swap in the motor, tranny, and some of the interior will cost us close to $1500 but we can come close to recouping alot of that by selling off what we don't use. Most of the body is trashed except the hood, bumpers, and 3 rims w/ good tires. I always wanted to try this swap thought it would be pretty kewl but we have been watching Lt1 parts and they aren't cheap to buy so to get a whole car was a score.

The car has a strange story behind it. The seller we got it from is someone I bs wrecked cars with that used to by from my husbands work (he works where they sell insurance totals) and last tuesday he was on his way home with this on a tow truck so I inquire about it and what he was going to do with it. He said if your interested in the engine I'll get back to you well he came back 2 hrs later and offered it to me for $1000. He watched the car flip rear end over front off the freeway 4 or 5 mornings earlier. He pulled over to help the driver and the driver got out and took off running. Washington State patrol came on scene and asked the witness for a description of the driver because the car is registered to nobody. It had a report of sale filed by the previous owner but had no new owner filled in so technically it belonged to nobody. Well my friend said if you need it taken care of its what I do for a hobby and I will take it if no one can be found for it. Tuesday they called him up and said you tow it you can have it and since he deals with imports and not american parts he really didn't know its value and he wanted it gone as fast as possible because of his neighborhood assoc. was complaining. Right place at the right time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We only had to shell out $1000 for it and the car still runs... Right place at the right time...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif I would hate you but I'm just too happy for you! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

I was bidding on a '94 Convertable that had spun around on the freeway and tagged all 4 corners real bad, then flipped onto its roof. It also still ran and drove but there wasn't a good body panel on it and even the seats were trashed. I was going to win it for under $1000 (It was at like $815 and I was going to bid $1200 in the last 10 seconds just to be sure...) and the seller cancelled the listing in the last 10 minutes!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It was a no reserve auction and he must have decided he didn't want to let it go that cheap... I hate that! He should have had a reserve on it if he was going to pull that crap.

Anyways, congrats on your great buy and it will be a really cool swap into that '70! I did a TPI swap into a pre-computer truck once and I read a lot of manuals, pulled my hair a lot, and finally got it to run like it did from the factory. It was well worth the effort to open the hood and expose a TPI in a 1984 S10 Blazer 4x4 that looked like the factory put it there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Be sure to post pics of the swap in progress as well as when it's done!!!

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I just picked up a rust free '79 Camaro today minus the motor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No pics yet but should have a 305 V8 in it and have it running in no time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well, the gf put her foot down today, sort of.. no more going fast for me.. she says i can have a car, if it doesnt have an engine.. so i think i want to build a g-machine 1st gen fbody or 67 chevelle, and sell it to some overly rich fool.. whaddya think?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im always struggling between which one of mine /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I own both, ans I normally spend mire on my k5, because it seems to break way more than my firebird. And my firebird is a racecar, go figure.

Dan