Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who all has a shackle flip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_mud_84, Feb 20, 2006.

1. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

hey i was just thinking the other day of puttin an ORD shackle flip in my truck to lift it 4 inchs cheaply, so my question is..... who all has one, how do they ride and work? do u like it, or would u rather have something else lifting the rear of ur truck, pros and cons, and some pics. just curiouse about it all before i start emptying my wallet.
    thanks
    Josh

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

100% love it. smoth ride over stock and real good flex. and good lift. :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Havent truly tried mine out, but I know mine flexes like crazy, and I love it. I dont think you will find anyone who is disappointed by theirs. In the pic, your shackle is "flipped" around, pointing up, and it gives the lift.

DSC00397.JPG

4. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I got one, too. it rides better than it did with the blocks a PO used and it rides great. you will not regret a good shackle flip.

5. chevy_mud_84

would there be any driveline angles i would have to fix? and ive been told it moves your axle forward a bit...is this true?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

any mod requires work. i had 6" lift then took out stock 5" block from lift and did flip with 1" block and had to run the tapered block backwards to correct angle.

7. chevy_mud_84

so does anyone have any pics of how it flexs and looks?? if so can you make it show right on the page instead of having the link, cuz im not a full member so i cant see the link pics.

8. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got an old (discontinued) Echobit flip. Rides nice, flexes well and in my case it fixed the driveline angle issue I had before the flip. Much better than using blocks.

Every truck is different so some may need a driveline (pinion) angle adjustment were some don't.

9. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

how do you mess with the pinion angle?? do you have to weld new perches on???

10. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

I think I will go the Home-Made way and alter the original set-up, but I need to know how to manipulate the pinion angle first...

11. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Angled shims is all you need to adjust the pinion angle. Most 4wd shops or driveline shops have them...

12. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

Shackle flips are the way to go.
    1. Best angle on your pinion compared to block or spring lifts without shims
    2. Softest ride using the flattest spring so good flex.
    3. Cheaper then springs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

havin a hard time finding and good pictures of the rear

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i did a home brew flip, works great. i also swapped in 56" leaf springs and it rides just as sooth if not smoother than the 52" springs, plus it holds ALOT more weight.

i had to change the pinion angle, it changes it about 8*. doesn't seem much, but on a long bed, it was pointed WAY above where it needed to be. i cut the stock perches off and welded new ones on.

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have the DIY4X flip with 6" shackles and 56s. It moved my axle forward about 1" at least it looks that way in the wheel well. My front is stiff but the rear is like a damn Cadillac course I dont have shocks yet:D .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dont have a CV shaft so I need to bring the pinion down I gotta figure out how to use my angle finder I am gonna use a tapered zero rate as my ass sags a little.

I have not had a chance to take it on the trail yet but around town with no shocks it is smoove:D . Even with no swaybar the 56s do not roll that much in corners.

Ira

15. ryanstrucking

ryanstrucking 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

heres a shot of my shackle flip.
    Works very well especially with the 63" springs.

wheelin 151.jpg

wheelin 228.jpg

16. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The biggest thing I have noticed with my shackle flip (DIY4X) is that the shackles pivot back and forth a lot more that the factory shackles did, which absorbs a lot of the stress on the suspension. With a factory set-up, the shackles pivot only a short distance before the spring starts to compress. With a shackle flip, the shackle pivots about twice as much before the spring starts to compress, which is why the ride is so much softer. When I hit a bump in my truck now, instead of bouncing straight up and down like it used to, now all I feel is very soft forward and backward rocking. It has taken some getting used to.

17. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I went home brew w/ 2" longer shackles, pinion ended up pointing RIGHT at the tcase output (blazer, th350/np203), worked great for the HAD 1350CV driveshaft.

18. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I went home brew also using the front rear spring hanger off of a 2 wheel drive truck. I measured wrong when I drilled my holes so I only got about an inch of lift and the shackle lays almost flat. Ill prolly get a longer shackle soon but other than that its been great.