Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who all is into R/C cars?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Jan 28, 2006.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i used to race electric offroad trucks years ago when the associated T3 was new... but im kinda looking at getting another truck, this time i want a gas powered 4x4 truck... if anyone can pint me in the right direction id appreciate it, its been years since ive been involved... i want something i can rockcrawl with.

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Last year when I got the Clod I was looking in to crawlers. I seem to remember reading somthing about crawling with a nitro was possible but difficult. I think most of the crawlers are electric. Check out www.rccrawler.com for info on the crawlers.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i have a t-maxx ill sell you, comes with everything you need
    200 bucks
    i havent used it that much
    let me know

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a t-maxx! By far the best bang for the buck out there. This truck has more aftermarket accessories than any other r/c car made. I've put about 300 into my first gen maxx and it is tons of fun. A t-maxx has the power to flip itself over backwards, 4 inches of suspension travel and will do 45 mph. Get one!

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

anybody got any experience with the HPI RS4MT, RS4MT2, or the nitro versions of either truck? i had a Tamiya Stadium Blitzer (mostly non-Tamiya parts after i got done with it) and a Futaba FXT, and several monster trucks. i liked the versatility of the stadium trucks over the monster trucks.

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the only thing i have thats Futaba is my remote.i have the f-150 truck from the 80's.i baught a new motor for it the same time i got it and left the motor on the counter.:mad: :doah:

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the Blackfoot? i had one of those (actually mine was a Frog, but same kit, just different body mounts), real cool ride, except those stupid hex drive driveshafts.

8. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

R/c cars are fun but pricey at the same time i have 3 nitros 4 electric 2 crawlers

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I have a el cheap Humvee, and then a Traxxas Rustler needs a couple new gears in the tranny tho, and my batterys are junked.

10. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

been doing r/c since i was 11 or 12. most i ever had was 33 between my trucks, cars and boats. I have so much$$$ into it. i think about it and it makes me mad for some reason. Everything i have is for sale if any one wants PM me. i have all electric cars and trucks. I say have a few and mod them. Dont have them like i do it sucks to much cash out of you.

11. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I have an RS4 eRally and a Super Nitro Rally. HPI makes some great stuff.

I've also got a Duratrax Evader ST, and a whole assload of Kyosho Mini-Z's and parts/accessories for them. I spent waaaay too much money on that stuff when I was into it.

On a side note, anyone wanna buy any of this crap? I'm broke :rotfl:

12. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I have a RS4MT electric and I really love it. It does not really lend itself to being a crawler, but makes a really easy to control racing truck. It flies nice and flat over jumps, and the 4wd makes it really easy to control. There are a few upgrades that should be made to it for reliability reasons, but they are pretty inexpensive. It is the most fun to drive aou of all the cars, both nitro and electric, that I have ever owned.....

13. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Nitros and crawling don't mix. If you want to go fast get a Revo or a T-maxx. if you want to crawl go with a clod or build a crawlwr from scratch using e-maxx parts.

[​IMG]

14. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sweet! Finally something that I can help you guys with, you all answer my questions but the tables have turned.
    I work at a Hobby Shop working on and selling r.c.'s so it's basically my hobby/job/life :)

I'd agree that you need to go electric if you are even thinking about crawling. I've done a crawler and they are a blast (pictures attached).
    One other road to think about if you have the funds would be to go 1/5 scale. The initial cost is quite a bit but they are soooo cheap to run and maintain, plus they just work. Unlike nitro where you have to tune it every time you go out with 1/5 scale just pull the cord and drive for 40+ minutes.
    I currently have a FG Monster Beetle and have a customer's Duratrax Firehammer and both are good options, the firehammer is a camry while the monster beetle is the lexus.
    Shoot any more questions to either rccrawler.com or rcuniverse.com/forum.

TLT 5.jpg

TLT 4.jpg

TLT 1.jpg

TLT 6.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

15. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

first off esteban... WHERE DID YOU GET THE BODY????

second i just bought a txt-1 slightly built, RTR (ready to run) gonna be a competition crawler when im dont with it.

thrid avery nice crawler, ive been reading a lot this week about rc crawlin thats why i havent been on ck5 at all... what are the specs on your crawler, all i can tell is it looks to be txt based

16. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

i was really into the nitro trucks for awhile, had the original t maxx probably put $1000 into that thing, it did really good in mud and going up steep hills, i just got tired of crashing into trees or street signs and breaking the whole front suspension off.

I got a associated r/c 10 gt right now, dont really use it much tho

brad

17. Esteban86K5

The body is just a Clod truck body that i cut up to look like a 73 Blazer with the nose tapered and the rear tapered also. I've got some pics I can dig up of when it was complete.

18. Esteban86K5

Here are some more pics. I think I may have some clearer ones on one of my clubs websites that is down, but fot now these should work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Thats sweet, Wonder what it rti's?

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i too am considering building a crawler. i've seriously considered getting back into RC several times now, this time i think im really going to do it. probably end up with what the RC crawler guys call a 2.2 Clod. that is, a Clod Buster based rig, on 2.2" stadium truck wheels and tires. here's one that i really like, and may go with something similar. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21855&page=1&pp=20