Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who all is running Dual Batties and who thinks it was worth the expense

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I've been considering running duals for awhile now, but I was wondering if there was anyone who wishes they hadn't spent the money on the upgrade. Sounds silly to ask I know but stranger things have happened. With two differnt age and size batteries do I need to run an isolater. I know this has been covered for a while now, But I haven't found out what I needed to know. Thanks

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i havent yet, but am in the mist of finding time to make and install the shelf.

i am going to use a ford selinod to isolat them. cheap. have it hooked up so when you trun the key to on it conects and when its off it isolats. 10 bucks vs like 75 for an isolator, and you dont have to do it manualy with a boat switch /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Mudbug1979

Anyone got any wiring diagrams for doing it without the isolater?

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

if you use a winch, i'd suggest you get 2, no matter what.
    if not, the more cranking the better!

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

no /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif what i am going to do is find the wire that from the ignition, from the on position, (different wire from the acsessory wire that turns the radio on) and run it to the 's' termanal on the selenoud (sp) this way when ever the truck is on you have dule batt starting power, and it will charge the batt.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i used the heavy duty kit from painless, i like it alot very well made, i just need to find a batt. tray for the left side of my 89, the way the one from painless works is the main batt dose everything, and the second one is just for starting the truck if the main one goes dead /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i havent yet, but am in the mist of finding time to make and install the shelf.

i am going to use a ford selinod to isolat them. cheap. have it hooked up so when you trun the key to on it conects and when its off it isolats. 10 bucks vs like 75 for an isolator, and you dont have to do it manualy with a boat switch /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Our monument setting truck is set up this way. The aux battery runs the hydraulics for the crane and liftgate. We have been using the same aux solenoid for over 20 years, no joke.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i was looking at a isolator at an RV place, it was 90 bucks, huge, and had heat fins you had to watch how much amps you run draw blah blah blah, so i had to get a huge one.

then i thought of the selenoud, continus rateing, cheap and atomatic. (don't want to have to switch it, worryed about leaving it on /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

and you can get them anywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been considering running duals for awhile now, but I was wondering if there was anyone who wishes they hadn't spent the money on the upgrade. Sounds silly to ask I know but stranger things have happened. With two differnt age and size batteries do I need to run an isolater. I know this has been covered for a while now, But I haven't found out what I needed to know. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I like darkshadow's idea for a cheap isolator by using the Ford solenoid. I have heard that the Ford solenoids will melt if used for a continuous duty application, maybe getting something a little more heavy duty. If you have 2 identical batteries I would suggest hooking them directly together. If you have 2 different batteries it would be a good idea to isolate one of them, the Ford solenoid would work good for this. I plan on using 1 start battery and 3 auxilary batteries in my truck (all from a semi). I plan on having some big current draw though. Whether or not it is worth running dual batteries depends on your electrical requirements.

10. Xtreme Off-Road

Xtreme Off-Road Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have heard that the Ford solenoids will melt if used for a continuous duty application, maybe getting something a little more heavy duty.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is right it will melt. Use a constant duty solenoid. I use snow plow solenoids and have good success with them.

11. Mudbug1979

Anyone have any part numbers or tell me where to get one because I do want to add this to my vehicle, But if I didn't need the Isolater then I wasn't going to spend the money on it. If I do then it's no problem.

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have heard that the Ford solenoids will melt if used for a continuous duty application, maybe getting something a little more heavy duty.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is right it will melt. Use a constant duty solenoid. I use snow plow solenoids and have good success with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, dito on the melting...they stink like hell too when they do!

I tried to use it for my elect fan set up... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

One thing, the solenoid is only to connect the charging circuit to the battery. You should connect any accessories directly to the battery (winch, plow, liftgate, whatever). The solenoid you want should have a metal case.

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I ran a isolator and did all the fancy stuff only to have problems charging my secondary battery. I dumped it all and just hooked them both up together and have never had a problem again. I run a warn 9.5ti winch, a 400w sterio, 5 overhead off-road lights and two rock crawling lights.
    I also have a powermaster alt. that puts out 140 Amp.s and two optima yellow tops.
    The only thing that was nice with the isolator was that I could jump start myself but now I have never needed too.

15. Mudbug1979

Yeah, but I have two different batterys with different cranking amps. Should I just get rid of the second battery and buy a new one. The one that's in the truck now is about a year old and I have the Powemaster 140Amp alt. also. I would love to go to Optimas but the approval committee won't alow that right now.

16. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

The problem with connecting the 2 batteries together is you lose your redundancy. If 1 battery goes it will take the other with it. If something in your wiring is draining your battery it will drain both batteries. You also need to use identical batteries when you hook them up like that. Not saying it's wrong, you just lose some utility.

17. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

I have a dual set up in mine w/ a ford solenoid and an isolator...it's been on there for years and no probs yet...of course there always the threat of burning up the solenoid, but i haven't had any problems...and definetly run an isolator switch...honestly, i don't think you can run it any other way...i've left mine on by accident once or twice and i do get excessive voltage since i don't have a ton of excessories...and the ability to self jump start is a plus when you're automatic!!! as far as wiring diagrams, i believe there is a post out there that has a pretty good draw up of a digram using a ford solenoid...try doing a search for "wiring diagrams"

18. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

forget the search!! forgot everything was lost after the server problem...

19. Mudbug1979

Ok, so where is the best "Cheapest" place to get a isolater and will that have all the stuff to do the install (ie: switch, connectors) I know I will have to get wires and all that good stuff. Some of you have mentioned using a solenoid. Why do I need one if I'm using a isolator? I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm not that great at wiring. Thanks again.

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would love to go to Optimas but the approval committee won't alow that right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif