Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who all is running dually axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_mud_84, Jun 26, 2005.

1. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

A buddy at work is willing to trade me his axles outta his 85 chev dually, for my 1/2 ton axles. I think its a good trade. But what I wanna know is anyone else running axles outta a dually truck? Ive been told they are longer, and will stick out more. so if anyone has any pics or info that would be great. thanks.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

much wider, but I would ABSOLUTELY take that trade. The front axle is a Dana 60 DRW(dual rear wheel). It has big hubs that stick out for the extra width. So you can get new hubs and bearings(I believe, never done the swap myself) and turn it into a narrow(strong) axle. The rear I don't know much about myself. Plenty of folks have converted DRW 60s to SRW around here.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You could also run deeper backspaced wheels such as Hummer wheels or have some custom made with your choice of rim size and backspacing. I would say backspacing to get the SRW stance would be around 7" or so.
    I would definitely swap the axles. Can't go wrong here. :cool1:

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Definitely can't go wrong with that trade. Hummer rims that aren't recentered should make your stance just about right.

5. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Hell, swap 'em in and leave the wheels and tires that are on it now for the time being. I would jump on that deal. So what if it looks like a Blazer/Dually for a while until you decide on the route you want to take.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That is a good trade. You can get SW hubs and thats all you need to convert over. You could also just change out the lugs on the rear (so they are not so long) and go also. Might have to move spring perches around but not too hard to do....

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Are you getting both front and rear axles from the dually? Is it a dually pick up bed, or cab and chasis set up? It will make a difference for the rear end.

Eric M.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

9. chevy_mud_84

Yes im getting both front and rear axles. Not sure what one it is, i just know its coming from a dually that was used for a tow truck.

10. chevy_mud_84

Where could I get hummer rims from if i decided to go that route? are the expensive? and what do you mean buy i can change the hub to SW? I was origanaly thinkin of puttin 10 wide rims on it, but that would prolly make them stick out way farher then it already does, wouldnt it? or would an 8" wide rim be better? I gotta figure out what i gotta get, cuz once i get the axles i gotta buy rims to put my tires back on.

11. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

You probably are getting the 14 Bolt cab and chasis rear end. That is actually narrower than the stock rear axle. You'll be going in two different directions - front wider and rear narrower. Once you get the axle, post up the WMS to WMS dimensions and we'll let you know what axle you have. You'll need a Dana 70HD rear to match your front dually Dana 60 if you want to run Hummer rims. 14 Bolt and Dana 70s are pretty cheap and common, you're getting the expensive axle (Dana 60) with the deal, so don't sweet the rear end, you can always sell what you got and pick up what you need.

As for the Dana 60 front dually, you can switch the front bering hubs to single hubs and you can use regular wheels (not Hummer or dually rims). I picked up a pair of new reproduction units for around $170 each (you'll need 2) or try and find them used, but they are scarce and not much less money.

The front axle will bolt right in. You'll need to shorten the front driveshaft. The 14 Bolt cab and chasis and the Dana 70HD rearends will need the spring perches and shock mounts moved. I'm not sure about the driveshaft. If you decide to swap the hubs on the front axle so you can run regular rims, then you can sell the rearend you get and pick up a 14 Bolt FF from a 3/4 ton rig. The 3/4 ton 14 Bolts FF are a direct bolt ins (again, I'm not sure about the driveshaft). The only thing you'll need to work out is the parking brake cable set up ... that's a whole story by itself! If you go this route, make sure the gears in the axle you pick up match those in the Dana 60 front.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

12. chevy_mud_84

I got talkin to the guy the other day, and he told me that the axles where comin outta a 3/4ton truck, and he said that they where the same length as the ones in my truck now, and that they would bolt right in, which made me start thinkin that maybe its a reg. 14blt ff rear that had dually rims put on it to make it a dually truck. cuz he said there is no bed on the back cuz it was turned into a tow truck. so if thats the case i might be gettin the 3/4ton 10blt fron instead of a D60 :( ......either way i still plan on trading axles cuz they're still better then what i have now. And if it does come down to the rear axle being shorter then the front, theres a truck in the junk that i got my t-case outta that has a 14blt ff in it, and its the reg. length. ANd if it needs a new rear driveshaft thats no problem cuz i have to get one made up anyways cuz im changing from a 203 to a 205 t-case. So ones gotta be made up anyways.

13. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

If no Dana 60 front, don't waste your time. This is turning into a very wierd deal. The front axles are the same except lug pattern. Why does he wanna swap his 3/4 ton axles for 1/2 tons? Something doesn't sound right.

Eric

14. chevy_mud_84

I asked him to trade me the axles and he said he had no problem with it, cuz this guy is a chevy fanatic, he owns 19 chev 4x4's( ive seen them), and they are all restored and running. The axles are coming outta a truck that used to be driven but then got used for a parts truck instead, and he doesnt have any use for them, they just sit in the parts truck in his backyard. so he said he'd trade me. I know this guy, he isnt trying to rip me off. He builds 4x4's for ppl on his spare time when hes not working, and he said the axles where in good working condition. oh ya, Also he wants my 1/2tons so he can use the rear end to put in his 86 2wd chev, and he wants the front end to put into a different truck he has. so he basically gettin rid of what he doesnt need and trading for something he does need.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah alot of times someone just stuck dually wheels on a 3/4 ton

so..

and pickup axles are wider than chassis cabs

72 and older you could order R05 dual rear wheel conversion on the 3/4 tons but 73 up its just for 30 series only

so if its 3/4 ton and 73 up then its a SRW and it will be same width(if isnt chassis cab) and leaf pack spacing as your ride

good luck