Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who all Runs 10 bolt front lockers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pplblazerdude, Mar 22, 2007.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

If you run a 10 bolt front locker let me know. I have a 8 lug 10 bolt front axle and I am thinking of getting a lock right to put in it. I have 35 inch tires and I dont see my self getting much bigger on tires in the very near future. When the big tires come the 60 will come. Also if you have a lock right locker in your front end tell me what you think about it. Pros Cons and so forth. Or if you you know of any other options that are not going to cost me a arm and a leg let me know.

Thanks

Clint

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I run a 10 bolt front Lockright . With heavy shockproof synthetic oil . And I absolutely love it . Performs perfect . And I get to say I am Locked/Locked :thumb:

I am learning though :

That I need crossover more now than ever , since I can go into harder places easier .

That I will be changing a shaft or two occasionally , maybe even some other parts ..... it happens , sometimes on "good" parts too .

To run in 2wd on tamer sections to allow easier steering .

3. pplblazerdude

What does the heavy oil you speak off do for you?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It clings to the pieces better , protecting the parts longer , makes the unit quieter , and removes money from my wallet .

This has been covered many times before .

5. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I run the expensive version of the lock-right (No-Slip) in my front 10 bolt with 33's. I have an extra set of rims just waiting for 35's...but I don't know when that will happen.

I haven't had any problems with it up front. I tried it early this winter in the snow (on-road in the snow) and didn't like how badly it under steered, so I removed it for the winter, but it's going right back in in the very near future:D

I say go for it.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a lockright in my 10 bolt front for about 4 years now. Works well with both my 35" & 37" tires.

Harley

7. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

I have a 10 bolt Lock Right up front in Blazer and I like it. Havent done much hardcore stuff with it yet, but what I have done(some mud and sand) it does alot better than before:bow: .

8. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

if you are locked up front is it safe to just lock one hub if you need to turn ?
    is it safe to drive around like that?

9. pplblazerdude

It sounds as though this would be a sounds decision on my part. This is good to hear. Where have you boys found the best deal on these lockers at. Also the heavier weight diff oil you run what weight is it and Brand? Sorry for so many question but if I do this I only want to do it once.

Thanks

Clint

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I run a 10 bolt front with a lockright and 37's. I like it. The locker performs just like it should. The first time out with it i grenaded a warn hub....but other than that it has worked well. As other have already said, with a locked front...you can more easily get into more difficult situations which could lead to more breakage. For this reason, I always carry spare shafts. You basically have to learn how to drive all over again when driving offroad with a front locker. In my opinion th lockright is a great cheap priced locked to throw in a front 10 bolt.:wink1:

Oh and I think im running 80-90w in mine. I think people run heavier oil to quite down the noise of the locker. I know for a fact im running 85-140w in the rear of my truck (14ff/detroit) but i believe its 80-90w in the front.
    -Harrison

11. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

12. Hossbaby50

I run Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil in my trucks diffs. The Heavyweight is like a 75w-250, it is very thick and sticks to EVERYTHING like Pauly mentioned. It is shockproof which means you can't press the gear oil out from between the metal parts even under heavy shockloading or pressure. My lockright has been flawless for 4 years. I never heard a peep out of it until the last few trailruns but it still works perfectly.

Harley

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

35s on LockRight in the front 10b. I just regeared so I am still running dinosaur oil. It pops and clangs climbing dirt switchbacks etc. I also have NoSlip in the 10b rear.
    Most of the time I've been Trail Leader.
    Richmond is awesome.
    1985 K10 Burb.

14. Hossbaby50

The Redline oil helps keep the popping and clanking to a minimum. I bought my axle used from a member a long time ago. He had a vid of his truck with the lockright and you could hear it popping with 80-90w. He installed the Redline and he said it went away. I never heard it like I mentioned for 3 years so it must work. I am the one who turned Pauly onto the Redline for his truck too. He digs it also.

Harley

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Redline or Quamtum Blue for mine, once I put on enough miles.
    Ho, in this thread so far, we haven't talked about performance.
    I love the way it claws. There have been times when I've heard the tires swap back and forth, working slowly up dirt.:D

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a Powertrax no slip in the front 10b on my blazer on 33s. Works great. Also locked in the back. Running a rebuilt govlock in back rite now. Have a detroit c locker for it also.But i am dooing a mythbusters thing and trying to see how much abuse a govelock will take. So far so good. been over a year now.:crazy:
    My K5 will go anywhere I point it. Had a lockrite in the front also. It worked good too but was a little noisy.. No slip is a lot quieter. Looking for a good deal on an Eaton E Locker... Well Acually 2 elockers want one front and back.

17. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I did and finally gave up. Broke too many axles front and rear. I have a 28 spline lockright and a 28 spline detroit for sale. It'd be a long way to ship though. If your interested in them PM me and we can figure out a price. This was the last straw for my 10 bolts. I gave up on ten bolts here.

breaking.jpg

Busted.jpg

18. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Pretty much, 10Bs can't stand-up to manual trannies.:doah:

19. pplblazerdude

I would possibly be interested if the price wasnt to bad. I can not pm you cause Im not a payed member. I would like to talk price with you though. I do have the 28 spline models so that would work for me.

20. sope

sope 1/2 ton status