Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who are they going to blame?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kyser_soze, Sep 3, 2005.

1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Who’s to blame for Katrina?

Obviously it has to be the Busch administration for being Republican.

It has to be FEMA for not having instantaneous mobilization of trucks already loaded with food and supplies.

It has to be the National Guard for not having fueled helicopters on standby, or troops ready at a moments notice.

It has to be the poor people of New Orleans who either had no way to get out, no money to get out, or didn’t want to get out because they though they could ride the storm out.

I has to be the emergency management of the City of New Orleans for not having a thousand busses at hand for the removal of the citizens and visitors of NOLA.

It has to be the Civil Engineers for not being able to construct a levee system to withstand a category 5 hurricane.

It has to be the citizens of NOLA for not voting in vital repairs needed for a levee to withstand a category 5 hurricane.

It has to be the founders of NOLA for building a city on ground that sinks an inch a year over 200 years ago.

Everyone is to blame

Noone is to blame.

Katrina was the bomb that has had a 200 year fuse.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'm just gonna stick with blaming Bush...

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

ever see the old liesen plate "The devil made me do it"

first thing that came to my mind

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Every moment spent looking for something to blame is another moment someone isn't helping someone

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I stopped looking.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

its nobody's "Fault"...

I visit the CMT "contraversy" message board often--its full of Bush haters,and they are having a field day bashing him for the delayed response..

Who is to blame??...its a combination of poor planning,letting a city be surrounded by water in a hurricane zone,built BELOW sea level.. :screwy:

Things would have moved faster if ALL communication hadn't been lost--cell phones,computers,landlines--ALL were useless!...why the stopped using "Ham" and Shortwave radios is stupid--BOTH can be used with nothing more than a peice of wire or bedsprings for an antenna--and can run on a car battery!--better than NO communication!--shortwave can go hundreds to thousands of miles ..

The local government should have commandeered every school bus,semi tractor trailer,and city bus for evacuation--instead they got submerged!

I dont feel very safe anymore--after 9/11,and this past week,it shows just how vunerable we really are..one more hurricane or terrorist attack could cripple this country..and our "homeland security" isnt making me feel secure at all--I assumed they had huge warehouses full of MRE's,and water,etc in EVERY state,(and they should!--and have several in larger states)--instead they have to call in for help from 600 miles away!..many states have NO place to house thousands of "refugees" for any length of time..

The biggest survival hurdle will be keeping someone else from shooting YOU and taking YOUR supplies and shelter over!--its evident its going to be "every man for himself" if disaster strikes from now on..sigh.. :eek1: :doah: :(

7. kyser_soze

This is the exact point I am making with this thread.

Finger pointing started before help had a chance to arrive.

Only duing disasters does the true nature of man come out into the spotlight, be it good, bad or most tragicly neutral.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

But if there was one guy who could make a snap decision and have it carried out imediately, it was Bush. Instead he was caught with a golf club in his hand. I don't want to start some stupid political BS with this post, but the ball wasn't dropped, it was thrown away.I guess he'll take a Mulligan on this one.Anyone that still supports this clown should have their head examined.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

THIS JUST IN:

In a video statement, to the U.S., alcada operatives have claimed responsability for Hurrican Katrina. They say they plan to unleash four more identical attacks on U.S. coastal cities in the near future.

-------------------------------------

Be on the lookout for rag heads buying large quantaties of high powered fans, and hanging around the beach. All citizens are urged to report any suspicious activitey, to their local, state, or Federal law enforcement agencies.

We will now return you to your regular scheduled television program.

10. kyser_soze

Oh yes, the CIA has been keeping a close eye on the situation and say that the weather machine built by Simon Bar Sinister has been dismatled for decades.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

And the politics take root...

My wife and I had this very conversation two nights ago.
    Obviously no one is to blame for a natural disaster, but for the relief/recovery of New Orleans, the mayor apparently has had his head up his ass for his role in this.

On 9/11, Guiliani was a leader. The Mayor of New York City was on scene, directing and LEADING for days. He directed the city's resources to recover as fast as possible and keep the city stable. He exemplified leadership in crisis. This disaster in NOLA has had absolutely no local leadership. There have been at least a dozen different local officials on the news. NONE of them appear to be handling the situation in NOLA. I've heard NO point person referred to. No one knows what to do, there's no leadership. There's too many chefs, not enough ingredients, and no one knows the recipe.

The most I've seen the Mayor of New Orleans do is bitch and moan that someone else isn't wiping his nose.
    From what I understand, the levee has been in bad shape for 30 and change years. Knowing full well that it was not in it's best durability, he should have had a contingency plan for it breaking as soon as he took office.
    -He should have had a disaster plan.
    -He should have had agreements with other citys or nearby municipalities to recover refugees in the event of a catastrophy.
    -He should have had plans ready in the event that the city floods and the pumps fail.
    -He should have allocated resources ahead of time.
    -Everyone on the ground should have known their responsibility in the event of a disaster, IE PO's of the 5th Precinct assist fire and rescue teams; Fire and rescue teams search for survivors; Superdome staff stockpiles food and water; etc
    -Citizens should have been informed what they can do in case of disaster. I read people drowned in their living rooms because they couldn't make it to thier attics.

All of these are responsibilities of the Mayor, the highest government power of the municipality. He should be on the floor of that superdome sweating, starving, and dehydrated like the rest of the people he put in that position. Instead he's on national TV saying he's pissed that the federal government hasn't come to hold his dumbass hand. If time is going to be spent on blame, *HIS* name better be at or near the top of the list.

Who the flock would blame the president for something like this?? Whether it's John F. Kerry, John F. Kennedy, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, or George W. Bush??
    What's one thing he could have done that he shouldn't have reasonably expected to be done already?
    I've heard no one point any fingers at the Mayors apparent lack of any ability to lead whatsoever, but I've heard dozens of people find a way to blame George W. Bush.

I heard an interview with a governor of a state of a neighboring municipality to one of the extremely hard hit areas (Gulfcoast I'm thinking, but not sure), and he explained how they had supply trucks loaded, and buses lined up and waiting because they knew their neighbor would be hit hard. And they were hit hard, and this municipality was helping; they had a plan in place, agreements and cooperatives established, and they helped in time of disaster.
    I heard another interview with one area's devasted resident that was unloading a supply truck yesterday, and he said something to the effect of "Why is anybody complaining that the government has done anything?? Don't they realize, there have been no clear roads or ways to get in here?"

12. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

newyorkin

thanks for the intelligent and well-informed reply. seriously.

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I have to agree, curse you Ratch... :D

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I love Ratch, I want him to adopt me, and give me special lessons

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It was the work of Haliburton and Cheney...

:rolleyes:

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Exactly!

I saw that jerk on TV saying that they needed 500 busses. Whining and complaining that the Feds aren't doing enough. A few minutes later I watched some air footage of the flood. It panned over a huge yellow blotch of acres and acres of School busses sitting in 6 feet of water.
    WTF????? He had plenty of warning that the hurricane was coming. Even after it hit the levy didn't break till 24 hours later.
    Anyone with even half of a brain would have got the busses out of the city and put some kind of evacuation plan in place. The local government should have been the first line of responce. But they did nothing they even abandoned their own police force and left them to fend for themselvs
    Pitiful :mad:

17. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It is the French's fault for building a city 300 years ago in a bowl..

18. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I think we have it!

19. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Went and saw The Transporter 2 tonight. There is a good line you have to watch for. It goes something like this:

"So, you were picking up a friend at the airport?"
    "Well, he's not exactly a friend"
    "What do you mean he's not a friend?
    "Well, he's French"

By the way, the movie wasn't bad. They don't spend a lot of time on plot details but I really didn't care. It strains incredulity a few times on some of the bigger stunts too, but the fight scenes were exquisite.

Oh, and I agree with Thunder. I don't see it that difficult with three days notice to get every bus you can lay your hands on, gas it up, and then park them on high ground near the Superdome. I also saw the flyover pics and there were all kinds of large trucks all over the city now underwater. They were predicting a possible flood of the city 2 days prior to its arrival. I think none of them really took those predictions seriously. Clearly a lot of the populous didn't. The other thing I thought odd was the lack of food and water at the dome even though they were broadcasting it as the main shelter. I've been in many office complexes and high rises. Just about every company has water coolers with extra big water bottles stacked up nearby. I bet most schools did too not to mention all the grocery stores and Wal-Mart type stores. How hard would it have been once they knew it was a Cat 5 and it was a day away to go around with big trucks and start collecting food and water and then put it in the convention center and the dome? The feds probably could've gotten on this a bit earlier, but I think the local government really dropped the ball big time.

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I saw that Myself and was thinking WTF. They could have used those along with all the thousands of other vehicles left in the city.
    Another thing what in the **** did that dumbass LA Gov do to help? Where was her disaster/escape plan. I noticed that all the other Governors had their **** together but not that idiot.