Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who asked for the Gear Vendors pics?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Couldn't find for the life of me where somebody asked me for pics of a GV unit installed. Here they are, but they aren't that good. I can get more when I install my lift and get better access.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

im thinking about one for my dually. how do you like yours?
    grant

3. Desert Rat

The jury is still out. I was going to swap a 700r4 in but I just got the 76 and I'm doing a lot of other projects first. I am installing a Corp14ff and D60 with a 6" lift now. Once that is in, I will see how it runs on the trails with the GV unit still in use. Everyone who I have talked to who tows, or does mild trail runs loves their GV unit. Don't know yet how it will do for moderate to hard wheeling.

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I thought you could only use them in 2wd?

5. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

What is a GV unit ?
    What does it do?
    Who makes em ?
    Thanks

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

7. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

BlazerGuy
    Thanks

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the USgear one can be mounted between the transmission and transfer case
    Gearvendors cheaped out and hangs of the back of the transfer case
    so it is 2wdr only

9. Desert Rat

I think the GV unit was primarily designed for people who tow and as a race unit. They advertise heavily to classic hot rod owners and to people who tow trailers. It only works in 2wd but I really don't need it in 4wd anyway. I could see how having split gears in 4wd could be an advantage, but I think the better investment anyway would be a doubler. The principle sell on keeping mine, other than saving some bucks, is the overdrive. It does a good job on the freeway of keeping the RPM's down with the TH350. That was the motivation to go 700r4 at some point, to have the overdrive for the long drives to the wheeling spots.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

in CA you never need 4wdr on the highway but here and north east is a different world

11. Desert Rat

Hey, it snows here too! Ok, maybe not much unless you're in the mountains. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

they close the highways if there is a 1/4" of snow within a mile of the pavement
    BTDT
    chain up to drive on bare asphalt

13. Desert Rat

Where I live, if it hits 40 degrees at night they declare a local emergency, open the National Guard Armory for the homeless and people start wearing sub-zero National Geographic Antarctica gear. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

That would be me....

Now that GV is bolted to the back of the T-Case correct...so i assume you have a Th350 - Np205 combo...what gears do you have right now...and what kinda rr's does it show with the gv being used at 75...my chalet runs th350 to a np205..but i'm wondering how much fuel mileage increases vs. the cost of the unit vs. swawpping in a 700r4...

DW

15. Desert Rat

To be honest, I bought my 76 Blazer with the combo, but only drove it around town once or twice. So, no clue on gas mileage. I would venture a guess that it would be about the same as running a 700r4 since the OD is about the same. Here are the issues I ran into when I started looking at swapping in a 700r4 instead of keeping the TH350/NP205/GV unit:

1. The GV unit requires a couple of pieces to be swapped out off the NP205. I have them in a box but I'm sure I would've had to maybe redo some seals and put back on those parts. Not a biggie, just more work.

2. The GV unit didn't change the location of the NP205 lever. Swapping in a 700r4 would necessitate cutting a new hole in the body, or modding a lever to account for the length of the 700r4 vs. the TH350.

3. The 700r4 is more complicated when it comes to the TV cable. I was inclined to buy a Bowtie Overdrive unit. Unless you have it professionally installed, or you are a decent wrench, setting up the TV cable is a chore. Leaving my current setup in meant not messing with the carb, which is an Edelbrock Q-jet.

4. The 700r4 is a bit longer which means you have to move the crossmember back a bit and drill new holes. Again, not a major project in and of itself, just another step.

5. Cost. The Stage 3 BO unit was about $1200 plus lots of little cost items. If I installed it myself, cheaper. If I had a shop do it, add another $500 or more on.

6. Daily cost will likely be the same between the GV unit and 700r4. The only advantage I saw to the 700r4 was an overall reduction in length, which equates to a longer driveshaft and reduced angle. However, as someone here pointed out, putting a doubler kit on is essentially the same as my GV unit. I will be doing a High Angle driveline, or locally with the same double cardan design. I've decided to run the GV unit for now and see how it does. I will report back sometime in the future on how it does and if a swap would be preferable.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have only seen 1 GV unit
    in a turbo'd, dual mixer propane'd, way over 460ci, lincoln
    it would bark 6 gears
    keeping the motor in a tight rpm range has to better for power and mileage