Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who brews their own hooch...I mean beer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyracing, Nov 15, 2002.

1. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Thinking about trying to brew some of my own beer. The Outdoorsman Guide has a kit to get started with. Anyone here ever tried and how tough is it. Is it real expensive?

John

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

A guy on my softball team does. He has the whole setup. Entire back porch has distillers and junk on it. He even has a keg fridge inside, not a tap on the fridge he uses, but two friges, one for food and stuff, the other just for kegs of beer.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I do!
    My wife got this for me last Xmas and it make some peerty good hootch!
    http://www.mrbeer.com/
    Once I added a bit more sugar to 'spice' it up and man did I get dizzzy quick /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I brewed my own for awhile about 15 years ago. I got pretty good at making some pretty tasty beer that was about 14% alcohol!

I would invite a few friends over for a beer tasting party when it was ready and everyone would have 2 or 3 beers and get loaded.

It's pretty easy to do and when you get the hang of it, you can personalize it to suit your tastes.

A few hints:
    <ul type="square"> [*]Make sure everything is CLEAN! [*]Follow the instructions exactly until you get the hang of it. [*]Don't set it up in your living room to ferment. The smell can be a bit overpowering. [*]Have fun. [/list]

It's probably cheaper to go out and buy some Bud but that isn't neerly as much fun. For about $20 you can make a rack of some pretty tasty hootch.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I haven't in a couple of years, but I'll probably make some more pretty soon here. Good stuff, and dirt cheap. Ingredients to make 5 gallons of beer will run about $30 for quality stuff. I don't think you can even get Bud for that cheap. My favorite homebrew is a real smooth double bock that goes at about 13% alcohol. </font color>

6. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

Made our own once, thought I died the first drink. I do not know what I didm but I messed it womehow. Now I just leave it all up to the Bud Lite guys! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If all of the equipment isn't super clean then you can get mold or wild yeast in the beer, among other things. It can do anything from make it violently froth and come out of the fermenter to just giving an odd flavor. Usually it makes the beer just taste like crap. A glass fermenter helps alot in avoiding the contamintation, since the surface is much smoother than plastic so contaminants are easier to wash out. Besides, Butt Lite tastes like piss. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif</font color>

8. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Butt Lite tastes like piss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the reason you know this have anything to do with that tremendously high purity test score you got? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Har har, it's not like you just got out of the convent... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif </font color>

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I make beer and red wine on a regualr basis. I generally stick with darker English Ales. Cleanliness is the most important factor. I've been home-brewing for a couple of years and the only complaint I have is that I have yet to find a secret to eliminating aftertaste, although it may just be the "flavors" I choose. I also find that letting beer sit in the bottle for a couple of months really improves the overall taste.

I seem to have reallt good luck with red wine. I brew a mean Pinot Noir- lots of folks have come over for dinner and asked which brand we're having. I have to admit I enjoy telling people that I make it myself!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif