Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who burns custom EFI chip's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater74, Oct 13, 2004.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

who burns custom EFI chip\'s

i'm looking for a place to burn me a custom chip for my TPI. I am running an RV cam with a MAP system and i'm not getting the performance i think i should be getting.

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Re: who burns custom EFI chip\'s

Streetandperformance.com

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

4. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

For about the same price as getting the custom chips burned you can buy the equipment to do it yourself. In the long run I think this option is much better.

5. bscappell

bscappell Registered Member

I would not recommend burning your own chips unless you have the time a knowledge to do it. If you want to look into it here is a good link, I thought about doing it but then I looked into it and boy it is a lot of work unless you have a seriously modified engine that is not going to run right on a custom chip from somewhere else.

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/promintro.shtml

brandt

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif washington

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What does a custom chip run?

For someone into wringing the most performance out of a vehicle (as the poster stated) with EFI, you had BETTER be willing to spend time on it, or accept it the way it is. IMO of course, but you can't just install a custom chip and expect it to be 100%. I'm not going to say it's impossible, I will say its extremely unlikely. And without scanning the chip before and after install to see how it is running, for better or worse, you will never know how your money was spent.

You can get the burning stuff for under $200, if you have a laptop and another $10 or so to build the cable, you can be set for the current setup, and any future setup you might want to try.

7. bscappell

bscappell Registered Member

actually, if you go to tbi chips you have the guy make a custom chip for about $250. you can have him customize it to YOUR ENGINES needs and not others. i am not saying do not make your own but hell these chip makers know what they are doing. go to his website and look around, it will tell you how to do the custom chip info. he needs to burn your chip.

brandt

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Too lazy and tired to read the whole site, but if you can continue to have chips sent to you until it comes out "perfect", then $250 isn't too bad of a deal, especially if you plan to make no changes to your rig.

However, do some research on burning chips...even experienced burners typically take 5+ tries to nail the chips, and even then tinkering is still done. Obviously experience makes a big difference in the number of burns necessary. If you won't learn to do your own chips, you have no choice anyways.

I'm sur with experience anyone can get pretty close on the 1st shot...but getting it perfect on the first try will be blind luck no matter what your experience level.

9. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I have a pocket programmer and burn my chips. I would recommend getting one and learning. It is pretty simple to burn chips. thirdgen.org has all the info you will need.

I also have a Pocket ROMulator which will allow me to emulate the chip and make changes on the fly. I *should* be able to make a *perfect* chip with these.

Chips are less than $5
    Pocket Programmer is about $150
    a decent UV chip eraser is no more than $30

Pocket Romulator is $180 (not needed for burning or programming chips)

Here is a Pocket Programmer on ebay with a Buy It Now price of $60 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1504&item=3845662437&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It is version 1. I have version two and have no idea what the difference is between them...

You could get everything you need for less than $200 (if bought new) and be able to burn chips forever. The only way to get a perfect chip is to have an emulator or "trial and error". Any chip you buy *should* be good but in reality, each engine needs a different program so a chip ordered will never be as good as it can be.

Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif