Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who burns firewood/fireplace??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Mar 5, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Since we moved here to NC we have had the fireplace going almost nonstop. The past owner of the house left some wood and a ph number for his guy that delivers wood..great deal on it too. It's been about a month now and we've pretty much used it up. Spent a few hours today and yesterday cutting old trees on the property. Fortunately my 14yr old likes splitting it :D

So my question is: Do you cut your own or buy it?
    Do you split it with an axe or have a log splitter

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

axe it good tention reliver!!!!!

your older groth will diseper fast if your doing your own.

this year i say buy it, but all through the summer watch for people cutting doen trees, or even take and add out in the local paper for free/cheap
    wood disposal, and get the chain saw and the free manual labout and load up the trailer, and stock it up for winter!

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Oh I plan on that for sure. I just never paid for cut firewood before. I have access to 80 acres right across the street for firewood :D

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the breaker on our furnace is turned off. If we want heat, we use the wood stove. It works great and I get all the free wood I need from work. :)

j

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

We have been burning wood for 9 years now.
    First my dad went alone and got some for our indoor woodstove. Then we got this outdoor boiler (read big wood stove-$$$$) and then I had to help him with that, we averaged burning around 25 cords of wood per year.
    Now since my dad is gone, my mom doesn't want me to use a chainsaw, yet.
    So we bought some. We bought larch instead of pine(what my dad and I got) so it burns longer and hotter. so we dont use as much, but its still $$$

I perfer wood heat most of the time, but somedays I wish we just had gas to flick the switch for heat.

When my dad and I got it ourselves, the stove can fit a 32" long piece of wood. So we never split it, all the logs we got were fairly light and seasoned.
    But in the spare time during the summer, we also got and sold our own wood (to fund the jimmy) so the pieces were maybe 2 feet in diameter, and weighed a lot. I split most of those, and my dad split some too.

anyways, good luck whatever you do.
    Eventually when my mom lets me use the chainsaw, I will get wood and sell it for pocket money...im out in nature where I love to be, and its fun.
    If you do it yourself, watch how you lift the pieces and all, you don't want to hurt your back.

ANYWAYS...im done...for now

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

We have a gas fireplace, which is really nice, but it's not the same. Luckily we also have a chiminea on the back porch (think terra cotta furnace on iron legs on the back porch), and Dad cuts the wood because I am unfortunately (boo hoo) away at school. It's nice to be able to smell a wood fire all the time, but not have the whole house full of smoke.

And Steve, be careful with that chainsaw, I had mine kick back at me the other day. We don't wanna see a "I cut my leg off" thread.

7. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

last summer i bought a fireplace insert, got a good deal at the time, we have run it straight for 4 months and then some, saved about 500 bucks on my fuel bill so far this year, we pay 100 bucks per cord right now, but can get cheaper if i have time to do it, that thing heats the entire house, except the basement, it was a good investment:cool1:

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

John,
    yeah I definitly will have to read somewhere and ask questions to friends that use them, for help..maybe even on here probably. I even thought of buying those special forest fighter pants that when the chain saw cuts them, the stuff thats in the pants clog the saw right up so it stalls. but they are around 100 bucks here.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I LOVE fireplace wood burning... We've had a fire going most evening's this winter.

I split a lot of my own, my dad had a HUGE cherry tree cut down two years ago and I still have most of the logs from it left. I got a new chainsaw around christmas, and I get itching to go out and cut down some trees or some logs every weekend.
    The cherry is hard to light and doesn't seem to like burning unless it's been in for 30 min or so, though, so I've been mixing it with the grocery store bags of logs...

I daydream about the days I'll have land or property I where I can go outside and cut my own, then split and burn it through winter.

I just called the FD yesterday to find out the legality's of burning in my yard, and found out I can burn in a 50 gallon drum, but not in a pit... Whoooo summertime...

Huh huh, fire fire!

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It's not that scary Steve, you just have to remain aware that you're using a tool that can kill you as fast as a lightning if you neglect to respect it...

The biggest danger with a chainsaw is the "kickback" thezentree mentioned. That's usually when the nose of the chain/bar bites something and the motion of the chain makes it kick upward. It's not something to worry tremendously about if you keep an eye on the tip constantly and don't let it hit anything, like if you're cutting through a downed tree, as the middle of the chain cuts through the trunk, watch that the tip isn't about to bump another log on the ground, etc.
    I'm not skilled enough yet to be confident making cuts with the tip like some guys are.

Do you have one already? My old sears chainsaw didn't have ANY safety features, and I was fine with it, took down two real big trees with it in fact. My new McCulloch has some safety features, one is a hand brake (which I think all new chainsaws have) that literally grabs and stops the chain if the saw kicks up in a way that your wrist activates it.

Here's my new one, I love this puppy!
    [​IMG]

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks ratch.
    I've actually used one, but my dad was behind me telling me what to do. And the tree was only maybe 5" wide.
    We have 2 chainsaws, a Stihl and a huskavarna. (sp?) My dad used the Stihl one the most. He was really good with a chainsaw, he used the tip sometimes.
    before I actually go out in the forests and cut one DOWN and all that, I will practice on either stumps, or already fallen trees.
    Need as much practice as I can get.
    Thnks!

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love the fireplace. I also have access to all of the free wood I need curtosy of people all over town who have trees cut down and leave the wood out front for the trashman. Only problem I have is that its really only cold enough here for a fire about 20 days a year.

13. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Wood cutting

I grew up cutting wood in WI; it was the only thing we used to heat our house. I was the oldest of 3 boys, so I was the designated wood splitter. I always used to catch hell from my dad because I would ruin the axe handle (chip it up), but you can get tired from swinging it all day and sometimes your aim will not be good.

We only cut red or white oak, so it was easy to split (none of that elm).

My parents still only burn wood and my brothers and I meet each year to "fill up the woodshed." Sometimes it is only two of us since one of my brothers is in the Army (a SFC in the Cav) and sometimes can't make it (some excuse like Iraq, Kosovo, or Korea). :grin:

14. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

At work we get alot of short 2x4s that are the right leagth but alot of people got to wanting it so now they draw a name for every crate of it they get. Wife is affraid to burn it unless i'm home so we don't really use the fire place to much. We buy some wood but when i hear of someone with some cut up or just needing split i will go get it. I don't have much luck with chainsaws or weedeaters so i avoid them whenever possible.

15. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I don't but my best friend does. He heats his house exclusively with wood. What we do is cruise around in the summer and look for downed trees next to the road or for someone who is taking some down. We never cut down our own. I use a Stihl MS270 to cut it and use a log splitter to split it. Mauls are fun and all, but it gets really old really quick when you are doing 3 cords at a time! Right now we have about 14 pickup loads to split for next year once the snow melts. I like getting firewood with him. Great stress reliever. Use my saw, his spitter, and he buys the beer when we are done!

16. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

I'd opt for log splitter or have someone deliver it. Years of doing it manually have caught up with me. Needed surgery so no more axe for me. Gettin old I guess. Also now I'm in FL. and in order to use the fireplace you have to turn AC on and set the thermostat at about 40

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

GWAHAHAHAHA!

I need to buy a chainsaw now

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I burn about 4-5 cords a year. Have 3 saws A Stihl 30", Poulan 20" and a little Skill 16" I use for trimming the trees on my property.
    I cut, load, haul, split with a maul or Axe, and stack by hand all my wood every year. I love it. Keeps me in good shape. Gotta do something to work off the O'l beer gut. I think the day I have to pay someone to do my wood cutting for me is the day I will just give it up and use natural gas. Hopefully by then I will be about 80. I Should have plenty of natural gas at that age.:D

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh yeah I forgot to add... I usually split with a maul or a splitting wedge and a sledge hammer. Maybe 1 out of ___ amount of wood we could of split with a axe. But these were big trees.

anyone know a lot about chainsaws? mine have sat for over a year, so I want to start cleaning them up so they are ready for when I am ready.

20. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Used to burn wood all the time until they instituted clean air days. The air quality determines the days you can burn. Haven't used it much in the last several years. Some of my best memories are my Grandpa's wood burning stove and roasting stuff.