Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who can explain a torque converter to me?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Aug 7, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

It may sound stupid, but this is the one part of my truck I dont understand at all. What does the torque converter do? Can i replace mine with one that will give me more low end torque. How does the torque converter work? thanks for your help.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I dont quite understand, but its like slipping your clutch on a manual tranny.

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Look at it like as a variable pressure hydraulic pump, low engine RPM=low hydraulic pressure, higher RPM = higher hydraulic pressure, and thats about all there is to it, the whole concept behind an automatic trans is hydraulic pressure, and rotating torque being transfered. if you saw a diagram of hydraulic pressure application and torque transfer, it would all come together for you, auto transmissions are not rocket science /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

So if I had a torque converter that created a lower pressure would my tranny tend to downshift easier? What is stall point?

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what does it mean when a torque converter stalls, or whatever?

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

No, downshifting is almost totally controlled by what pressure the shift points are set at, it can be altered by installing a shift kit. A stall point is where the nearly full hydraulic power, is basically unleashed into the transmission, all at once IE: 1500 rpm stall speed= no hydraulic pressure is applied until approximatly 1500 rpm, the stall speed is an estimation,probably within 10%, hopefully that helps /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay I understand. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

What is the stock converter stall speed in a TH350?

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

thats a good article speakchucker! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You'll be on that site for days reading stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A torque converter can be a huge help or a huge pain offroad. You should have a torque converter to match the kind of wheeling you do and match the setup of your truck.

If you run mud then a higher stall converter isn't a bad idea. If you run rocks like me a lower stall is the ticket. This depends on the setup of your truck though also. If your truck is a rock truck but you don't have a low enough gear ratio then a low stall converter can be a bad thing. You will never get your motor to a high enough RPM to spin the tires if you need to.

I run a 1200 RPM stall in my truck. It gives me driveablility on the street and it gives me good offroad performance with my trucks setup.

Harley

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll be on that site for days reading stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! I bookmarked that site so I could read up on a bunch of stuff! I'll be a walking dictionary when Im done /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

AFAIK torque converters simply throw fluid with oen set of blades or whatever and throw them through a second set of bladfes or whatever

slushbox tranny input shaft is not mechanically atteched to the output shaft, they are connected hydraulically

that fluid is used big time, thats why its so important ot keep it change,d it jsut plain wears out breaks down when it gets so hot or old