Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who can give me some info on Kodiaks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Jul 16, 2004.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Saw one a while ago for sale and thought it would be cool to have one. I would like to fina out a little more about them. Anyone have some knowledge about them? Thanks!

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Kodiaks are a very large bear. Big teeth and very sharp claws. DO NOT MAKE GOOD PETS

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Like this one?
    [​IMG]

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yes, but the ones with a 3/4 or 1 ton body a top them, they look a lot cooler I think.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah! that looks like a semi/crew cab in one /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Exactly what my husband drives at work but his is a Topkick quadcab with a 25' flatbed, its a 97 or 98. He says its a gutless turd and the interior rattles badly he can't wait to get the new 2005 International /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Another friend has a 99 Kodiak and has had nothing but problems with it been in the shop more then he has driven it. Just some food for thought before you fork out the $65k for an unfinished one.

Why would you want one of those to drive? I could see it for RV trailer or car trailer duty but to drive daily /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, but the ones with a 3/4 or 1 ton body a top them, they look a lot cooler I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see those alot out here . Pickup bed , pickup dash and such inside . Straight truck underneath . would make great cruiser .......with a BIG BOAT on a trailer behind it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Like so?
    [​IMG]

I also agree that it would be shitty to drive if you could drive a pickup instead...

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my dad had a single cab like you just posted(box truck) I think a crew cab like that would be cool. Sure its not a monster or anything but should pull better than present available light duty diesels.

10. pauly383

Heres the scoop from Gm GM Fleet
    That is just the C4500 and C5500 , they go bigger . I like the older ones a little better . Available in regular cab, crew cab, cutaway and motorhome /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

Im not talking about buying one for a daily driver.

All the ones ive seen lately, the newer ones, like in the link, have the GM powerplants, im talking about those with the big diesels in them, and the older body, 88-98 Chevy/ GMC, 4 wheel drive! This guy I know has one, but I cant seem to find the pic for an exaple.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

I never said anything about one as a daily driver.

All the ones I ve seen lately, the newer ones, like in the link, have the GM powerplants, either the 496 or Duramax, Im talking about the older ones, with the Diesel in them, 4wd. This one guy I know has one, but cant seem to find a pic for an example.

13. pauly383

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Dont wast your time on a Kodiak unless it has a Cat engine. Other wise get an International with the DT466. Best engine out there for medium duty trucks.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my dad's had a Cat engine, only way I'd go if I got one. There is a Ford one of these that runs past my work all the time. Has a dually bed, and is 2wd but you can tell its setup to be someones high dollar horse hauler.

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yes sort of like the one in the link, geting warmer, but with a regular C/K front clip. I didnt see that on thir site earlier, guess I didnt look good enough.

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont wast your time on a Kodiak unless it has a Cat engine. Other wise get an International with the DT466. Best engine out there for medium duty trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the kind im taking about.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

C/K front clip? You mean a light duty front clip on that truck? Well it WILL NOT be a bolt on deal. THose trucks have tilt hoods so the fenders don't mount to the fab.

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me....Needing something heavier duty than a 1 ton for heavy towing but still something in a light duty size. How about a Ford F450 or F550 with a Superduty body? THose trucks are NICE! You can get a full lariat with leather, A/C, CD, cruise...everything! You can't tell the difference between an F350 dually and F550 besides the 19.5" alcoas. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

You may like the look of the old ones better, but the new ones are wayyyy better. The New Cat C7 seems to pull better than the 3126, and the new cab is a lot more spacious and comfortable. The New ones also ride a whole lot better. The old ones went down the road like a dog fu(king a football. I do speak from experience, we have owned 7 of the older style trucks, and currently have 5 of the new style ones., but these are all tandems, with the Kitty cat and an 8LL transmission.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV