Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who can relate??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sosamantx, Sep 6, 2000.

1. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>Alright guys, I know this isn't about trucks or blazers. I just want to know how many of you have started a project on your car/ truck or blazer, and weren't able to finish it, due to time constraints, lack of knowledge or whatever.</font color=purple> <font color=red> I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANY SYMPATHY HERE!!</font color=red> <font color=purple> I am just trying to share my experience that happened this weekend, to vent a little, and maybe even provide a laugh or two. - Steve</font color=purple>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics3.html

http://www.sosamantx.coloradok5.com/

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

2. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I started a project on a 69 Hurst/Olds. A very collectible muscle car. There were only 509 ever produced. I boght it in 1988 and because of a lack of money, working three jobs at times and the lack of a fully outfitted garage and overall knowledge I sold it two years ago. I bought this k-5 with the intention of making it look like new and outfitting it for the rigors of hunting and exploring our local logging roads. I just bought the cleanest, best running mid 80's model I could find. All I have left is a lift and tires. I can't dedicate the time to body, paint, engine re-build and all the other stuff. It's fun, but I think better left to retirees.

"who dares wins"

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have a 59 GMC shortbox stepside half ton sitting at my uncle's ranch about 150 kms away. Bought her for my 18th birthday, when I actually had money to spend on MYSELF!!! I started getting bits and pieces done, but lacked a garage. Well wouldn't you know it, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in the baby carriage.........and a mortgage too. Oh well, at least the ol' truck is paid for and awaiting my return.........someday.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have an ongoing worlds longest resto going on. I have a 70 Pontiac LeMans Sport convertable sitting in my garage. I have owned the car since 92 and it lost oil presure 2 years ago and has developed quite a pile of junk on it like RC airplanes (another thing due to time and money has been set to the side). Yeah I can relate but haven't had the heart to sell the car. Was hoping to start working on it again this year but now we got a kid on the way so maybe in the spring. We won't even mention how much time I spend working on the two trucks. Atleast one of them is set mechanicaly but now the wife wants it painted.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Your gonna love this. I bought this 67 Camaro RS, deluxe interior, disk brake, great car IF it had been taken care of. I found it on the side of a hill where it had been sitting for years. It took my friends Blazer and FIVE of us just to get it on the tow dolly. It was a total rust bucket, but after $350 I was the proud owner. I knew it was a total challenge, but I knew I could take it on. Anyway, it was to ugly to take home (I still lived at home at the time) so I took it over to my buddy's house. We had it on the side of the garage for the longest time because I just didn't have time to work on it. At the same time he went to finance the house and he told me that I had to move it because they were going to do an appraisal on the house. So I moved it onto the street right in front of his house. Long story short, the city came by and hauled it away!!!! In one day that it sat on the street they came by. He lives in a cul-de-sack with NO traffic. His girlfriend didn't like me and I feel that SHE had called them to get rid of it. There's no way a city offical would have just been driving through and taken it away.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I feel for you man. I do the same thing with just about every porject I tackle. i usually run out of time or money, some times both and then i dont get to finish the project and I use it the way it is....

i've had a radiator in my garage for over a month now waiting to be installed. All I need to get is a tranny cooler, but all kind sof other things come up and I never get to install it. Now my pinion bearings went out on my 44 so now I have to get a carrier and gears for the front!!!

Keep up your spirits, it will get finished eventually!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have a 58 VW Bus,that I bought for $350.00 from a guy down the street.I was 15 when I bought it now I am 21......it has taken a long time to complete,but I am getting there! Also I would like to win the lottery...Good Luck to all the projects!

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Oh ya... I have a 88K5 that will never be done at the rate I'm going. Granted its driveable currently, but needs more work than I care to think about. I know all about that weather issue also. In NC it gets warm. I bought a Motorcycle again this year to get me through the summer and to beable to tear down the K5 and still beable to get around.

Best of luck,

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

A v-w bus? Is it one of the ones with the little pop-up tent? My folks had one of those in the sixties. It had big daiseys on it and psychadellic colors. To each their own I guess......Good luck with it and stay groovey!

"who dares wins"

10. UseYourBlinker

It's just a standard Kombi (3 windows on the side) Since I have owned it,I lowered it,painted it forest green and Ivory 2 tone,and put a bigger motor in it....(It's fast for a VW) 1776cc with dual carbs.Got to love the cheap motor parts!

11. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like alot of fun, my first car was a kharman Ghia. Rally green with a surf board rack on top. The defroster never worked so I had to wear a snoopy hat and goggles to school on winter mornings. I kinda wish I had another one, too many projects as it is though.

"who dares wins"

12. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

Back in '87 I had a 77 Monza with the 305 V8 that was in severe need of a new cam. I had never opened an engine before so I figured this would be fun. I tore it all down- apparently the previous owner had never heard of oil changes- and went to take the lifters out. They were so caked with carbon that they wouldn't pull out of the bores. I had never heard of a lifter puller and my channelocks and vice grips were getting me nowhere. I came up with the brilliant idea of removing the cam and knocking the lifters back down through the bores and into the oil pan. BAD IDEA!!! I ended up having to totally disassemble the front suspension and cross member to get the oil pan off. Then I had to turn the crank a bunch of times to get to the lifters that were stuck on top of the crank and rod bolts. I finally got the oil pan back on and the engine and suspension put back together. I went to start 'er up and I heard a loud knocking sound. I had adjusted rocker arms too tight and it was killing my new cam and lifters (d**n Chilton's manual!!). I called Comp Cams and got the correct tightening procedure, tightened everything up and stared at the puddle of oil at my feet. The front pan gasket was leaking!!! Took the timing cover off and the pan bolts loose and re adjusted the gasket and gobbed lots of silicone gasket maker in there. I went to drive my car around the block and every time I turned a corner I got a big puff of smoke from under the hood. The pressure side power steering hose sprung a leak so every time I turned the wheel power steering fluid spurted on my exhaust manifold!!! Got a splice kit and fixed it. All this took about a week of coming home from work (got rides from people I worked with) and getting on my back in the grease puddle of a driveway that I made. It took 2 weeks to get all of the grease out of my skin and hands. I don't think my dad has ever forgotten that mess I made. :)

-Rick

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well the '79 blazer had the tranny go out on it about a year and a half ago, so I decided to change axles, tranny, everything all at once. Was gathering up parts, ran out of money, moved to oklahoma, lost stuff in the move, and put it on the back burner till this last summer. Now it's almost running thank gosh. I'm outta money again but this time an end is in sight.

Not nearly as bad as my dad though. For 6 years now, he's had a '74 FJ-40 Landcruiser torn apart in his shop floor. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

14. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

I've got a 59' Chevy p/u that's been in the family since 1978.I got it in 88' and still have way too much to do to it.It'd help if I'd stop wrecking it though too.

Chuck Dirks
    81 Blazer
    Colorado,USA

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hehe VW's. I been through a few. First car was a 73 412 wagon, # 2 63 bus that had the kewl corner windows with the luggage bars on the inside and 46hp engine (yeah were flying!), #3 83 GTI.
    Wife like the new bugs but since the 83 I have hated working on VW's. I do repair my moms 86 Jetta but I have decided that SATAN designed the engine (same basic motor in the new bugs) and everytime I have had to work on that POS I have assured my own place in hell with the long strings of cuss words that flow freely from my lips.
    Timming belt was the last straw on that car and dear old mom had to find a mechanic. 3 busted off lower pully bolts into the crank 3 hours to drill out and a lot of praying that I didn't screw up the crank. Finnaly after 4 busted knuckles I got all the drive belts off and down to the timming belt (2 hours) Reach up and wiggle the water pump to find the bearings are shot in the pump. An hour on on the phone and I find a pump on saturday 45 minutes away total time with dealing with sales 2.5 hours. loosen first of 9 8mm bolts that retain the water pump....it breaks off along with another 3. Next 4 hours spent pulling alternator power steering pump, a/c compressor, various hoses and the radiator later I have the pump assembly off. It's now 10 pm at night. Take the assembly home. 9 am next morning in my shop drilling out busted bolts. Hit the local Ace for stainless bolts on the way to moms house at noon. About 8pm the car is finnaly back together.
    Every cuss word known to man came from my mouth multiple times that weekend plus a few dozen of my own creation.
    My wife will get a new VW when hell freezes over!
    Sorry for the rant but I can relate LOL.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

16. UseYourBlinker

Damn a little bitter? Yeah I prefer working on the old VW's than the newer one's! Looking to buy the 2 door GTI in the future....Way,Way into the future....

17. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I bought a K5 1.5 years ago and it has been a never ending job since. For the last 3 months it has been sitting in my carport waiting for me to get little jobs started,and or finished.My wife just hates the fact that we are making payments on a rig that won't even start right now.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

18. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I hear you, but is'nt this what we want. Something to tinker with after work/school. I know sometimes it gets to much, but I really hate the winter when I cant do anything outside. My worst nightmare is that I will be finished with it someday. Its getting there thats fun. Dreaming you'l afford this, or strengthen that. Ordering 6 of those.... you know the feeling. Building it yourself..

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

19. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I've been trying to finish my 82 Blazer for over 2 years now. I finally got the new engine swapped in and now all I have to do is set the timing and adjust the kickdown cable but there never seems tobe any time to get even that done ! I have a 5 month old baby girl that occupies most of my time ( not griping about it..it's by choice ) so things don't get done as quickly as they used to. Hell, I've been trying to put on my new front shocks for over a week now. Oh well, I'll eventually get it all done as soon as I get done working on a clone for myself !!

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

20. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Riz, I hear you. I've got a 13 month old. Hang in there, it's more fun every day. It seems that everyday they get smarter and more active. Before you know it your daughter is going to have her own little personality and will be interacting with you. It's the best thing in th world.
    Listen to this, my buddy just back his Jimmy this weekend. Clean rig, nice black paint, 6" lift, 35's, polished Alcoa's, really, really nice. Well this week was his daughters first day at school (1st grade) and she asked him to let her mom drive her to school in the Jimmy. When they pulled up to the school she told her mom to drive right up front of the school so that everyone could see her get out of the truck. Man, I almost cried when I heard that!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!