Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who carries a hi-lift jack?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by The Loner, Aug 1, 2002.

1. The Loner

The Loner Registered Member

I have one, but never used it. I'm thinking about taking it out of the k5. Every time I see some one use it, it seems like a balancing act to keep the vehicle on it. Not surprising when you look at how small the base is and how tall they are. Thinking a bottle jack might be better? Something else maybe?--B

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

holy hell, never used your hi lift????? Sell it to me, i could use two!!!!

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

ill take it and im close

4. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Mall cruisers usually can just call AAA /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't be caught on the trail without one. Used it to get a Ford Truck off me last week. Without one I would have Ford Rash all the way down the side of my K5. I thought it was illegal to pass on the right. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I don't Leave the house without it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . Never had to use it but when I do it will be there. As for the base they sell a wider base for sand and loose dirt. Me being cheap got one of the plastic blocks that we had to use to level our old travel trailer and I keep that with me if I ever need it.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

HiLift's ROCK! I've got the 60" all-cast model, and its great. Saved me from many-a-stucks! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Dan

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Which Hi-Lift is better, the all cast one or the cast/steel one. They both look about the same and are about the same price. So whats the difference?

9. KRAZIE87K5

http://www.hi-lift.com/jacks%20faq's.htm

"Both Jacks have the same features and weight capacities
    ANSI/ASME 4660 lbs. (7000 lbs.). The all-cast jack will last longer when frequently used, but both jacks are very durable."

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

So really if a person is just getting one for the occasional use they should get a cast & steel one? Cause I'm looking at getting one, I don't do any serious rock crawling, but I do do some 4wheelin and would like to have one just in case.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have the cast/stamped 48" version which is too damn short for my truck now. I'll have to be using Grimmy's idea for chaining up the axle to get a tire off the ground now as well as replacing it with a 60" model.

Rene

12. KRAZIE87K5

I would buy the cast one again without thinking... BTW - you can order these from Scott @ RockStomper ((720) 652 0700), or give Summit a call (800-230-3030). Hope that helps!

-Dan

13. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

i had to use one at work the other day. I was working and a co-worker get her F*** Exc. in a funky spot. she was paring it under some covered parking and she got to close to the pole. she had no way to back up with out rubbing the pole, so i took my hilift and picked up the truck from the receiver as some other people pushed on the side by the pole. worked real good!!

So it works for mall lot drivers to!!!

14. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

A HiLift is the first thing I bought after picking up my K5.You can get yourself out of just about any stuck with a HiLift and a shovel.Iv got 2,a 48" and a 60" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I am the HiLift king /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. landsmasher

A friend showed me a neat trick with the hi-lift. Instead of raising the truck by the bumper, (because we had to get it up pretty high) we raised it by the rim. This lifted the wheel up real high so I could put rocks under it. Then we left it there while I wheeled away. The jack just moved forward till it fell out. Didn't hurt the rim either.

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I carry a 60", if it wasn't for my rock sliders though, I wouldn't be able to jack it high enough to get a wheel off the ground without chaining an axle to the frame. I can't imagine trying to use a 20" bottle jack!

17. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

I dont have a Hi-Lift /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    But neder i have a extra tire /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. The Loner

The Loner Registered Member

Looks like the hi-lift is a a keeper. I was just thinking something that picked the vehicle up from under the axle would be better since it is much lower. Shows what I know! I'll just be careful, as I do not want 5000 pounds of truck on me or a buddy. Thanks for the replies!

19. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i dont have anywhere to lift the truck from except the rear reciever, so im not gonna use it for raising, just getting un stuck, so i was gonna get a come-a-long for like $35 from atwoods, with 12 ft of cable, how come ya'll choose the high lift over the come-a-long for pullin yourselves out?

20. landsmasher

A high lift can do more than just lift your truck. It can be reversed and used as a pusher, spreader, puller ect. I also have a PTO winch and keep a lot of friends around me on the trail. Don't forget you can lift your truck by the rim with a high lift. No need to chain the axle. Someone needs to do an article on the use of high lifts. You would be suprised at all the different things they can be used for. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif