Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who determines that you have loud exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, May 11, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

The cops do!!!!! picture this 1:30 in the morning going home
    after a 13 and a 1/2 hour day your going about 30 mph
    not even three blocks from your house and you see a
    cops bust a u-turn in the middle of the street to catch you
    (which is against the law) so you go to a empty lot. the cop comes up to your rig and says and I Quote"the reason I pulled
    you over is because your license plate light is out and you
    have loud tailpipes" (like they are the things making the sound, maybe I need to change the greese. Anyway he did not say anything about my busted winshield,the burnt out tail light, no seatbelt and the fact that my sticker was expired.(just go it today have not put it on yet) he did not give me a ticket just a warning. Thank God. what do you guys think should I push my luck and leave on my glasspacks or go get some turbos or something like that. give me so advise on what you would do... I know it will happen again.

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

2. im_2gr82h8

im_2gr82h8 Registered Member

I would just keep the glass pacs if there legal. I know they count as muflers (and there for make your exause legal) in WA. Why spend the $$ if you dont have to. Personally, I hope to install remote cut outs on my truck so I can run open exaust all teh time and then just close them from inside the cab when i get pulled over.

Lowriders are for guys that can't get it up!

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry about it. It was 1:30 in the morning and I think the cop was just checking you out. There could have been a problem in that neighborhood earlier that night. The cop was just doing what he's paid to do. He could have given you a ticket but didn't. He had to say something. If he pulls you over again, he can only give you a fix-it ticket. I'd wait and see if that happens first.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yah, he was fishin' for drunks. Fix the license plate light, I have been stopped for that before too (2 AM). The loud exhaust is always gonna give them an excuse to stop you if they want, so don't drive drunk (as if you needed a reason not to).

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Good point he never did say that it had to be changed

take to get rid of you

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I would check out and see what constatues pipes that are "too loud". I'll bet as long as it has mufflers and no one complains, the police really can't do anything unless it's really abnoxiously loud. But I'd look into it just to keep out of trouble. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

7. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

personally i wouldn't change them, I have 12" glasspacks on my '82 6.2. It sounds means and I have not been stoped. I was stopped with my friends in his '86 ford ranger. Don't laugh this s true. That little thing was atleast as loud as my blazer. he had taken off the converter and his 12" glasspacks were completely blown out and he had duals, but anyways we got stopped in that truck and we told that cop that it was back firing because it need a carberator kit put in. So we too got a warning and were let off. Keep them on and use that as your next excuse.
    sergio

8. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

It can be loud if I floor it. but when the cop pulled me over
    I was pretty much at idle that is what pisses me of he made it sound like I was going 120mph I fiqured that it is coming to
    quota time and he need the paper work to prove that he does something other than sit atvacant lots and sleep

take to get rid of you

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Don't change them. As much as I dislike traffic cops with nothing better to do, he was probably looking for dui or drugs like others have said. Just needed a reason for coming to check you out. If no one complains, don't worry.
    My .02
    John

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '84 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allsion Auto

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I was gonna say a-hole cops or a-hole neighbors !

L8r,
    . Riz . <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</A>

[​IMG]

11. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

what if the a-hole cop is your neighbor?LOL
    I just had one move across the street and I am just waitin for him to say my exhaust is to loud!:) By the way I have no cat a 3 inch pipe and a 2 chamber flowmaster......hehehe

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy 350tbi 3.42</font color=red>[​IMG]

12. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

What jurisdiction you're in determines what is too loud of course. If in city limits somewhere, they may have a vague definition of 'loud exhaust' which may or may not be difficult to defend. It just depends on how the city ordinance is written. If outside city limits, you deal with state statute, which is typically better defined and not as restrictive. (i.e. you have to have mufflers, but nothing is said about noise level) It really depends on how the law was written. Most states have an internet site for their legislature that has a link for the laws. You can usually do a search and read up on whatever law. It may take a while to find the right ones as the words used are 'legal ease' for the most part and not what everyday people would use for the search.

Don't sweat getting stopped.

Think of it this way: Would you rather have that officer sitting in an alley sleeping or out working, stopping people, being seen and detering crime. He stopped you, realized that you weren't doing anything wrong enough to cite you for and let you go on your way. He's out working, so you can go home and sleep.

If the officer told you that you need to change the mufflers, you probably should because now you've been given fair warning and a month or so that same officer will see you again and will be more inclined to cite you. If the only time he mentioned it was when he first talked to you, don't worry about it. Of course, this is my personal, twisted view. The guy that stopped you may see it different and bust you next time. I doubt it though. More than likely he'll see you and think, "Okay, that's the loud K5 with the dude that works late" and not "I wonder if that's a drunk heading home from the bar"
    [​IMG]

13. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Whats all this talk about mufflers?? I don't see any under my truck... lol [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://loudandproud.coloradok5.com>http://loudandproud.coloradok5.com</A>