Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who did the Boy Scouts PO to deserve this

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Aug 3, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Lightning kills Utah Boy Scout
    Three others injured in latest strike

Wednesday, August 3, 2005; Posted: 12:11 p.m. EDT (16:11 GMT)

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- Lightning killed one Boy Scout and injured three others while they slept in a shelter at a mountain scout camp, authorities said Wednesday.

The lightning bolt struck the shelter, a log structure open on one side, on Tuesday night at Camp Steiner, said sheriff's Deputy Wally Hendricks said.

The three injured boys were flown to the University of Utah burn unit.

Hendricks said the rest of the Boy Scouts at the camp returned home. He said he believed they were all from the Salt Lake County area.

No one answered the telephone at the Great Salt Lake Boy Scout Council.

Camp Steiner is in the Uinta Mountains, east of Salt Lake City.

Names of the victims were not released.

A line of powerful thunderstorms had rolled across much of Utah on Tuesday, causing flash floods in the southwestern part of the state, taking out a bridge and closing a highway.

Last Thursday, an assistant Scoutmaster and a 13-year-old Scout were killed by lightning in California's Sequoia National Park.

Four Scout leaders at the National Boy Scout Jamboree in Virginia were electrocuted July 24 in front of several Scouts after they lost control of a metal tent pole and it fell against a power line.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/03/scout.death.ap/index.html?section=cnn_us

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Shocking....

Yes,it is tragic!...They wont have to preach to the scouts about not fooling around with electricity...that makes 4 that have been fried...my heart goes out to the families involved... :(

I was at a circus once with our boy scout troop in my hometown one night when I was about 10 years old..--the skies openned up with heavy rain,and thunder and lightning scared the crap out of us!--several close strikes of lightning!...they even had to shoot holes in the tent with a shotgun,so the gallons of water would not collapse the tent,you could see it sagging by the minite!--the circus guys had the elephants butt their heads against the telephone poles that held the roof up while they evacuated us!...I dont think I ever went to another circus after that,and to this day I'm very uneasy under a large tent at a concert or other event! :eek1: :eek1: .theres something about boy scouts and lightning! :doah: :crazy:

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Who wants to bet that since the media is focused on this now, that there is going to be some kind of "call" for restrictions on the boy scouts. I'll put down money that the crazy bitch Hillary will be the first to propose...

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I wonder if they all automatically got their electricity merit badges..... :doah: :whistle:

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Oh Man......that's dry. :haha:

We used to get ourselves into all kinds of crap back in my scouting days. Most of it jokes played on one another.

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Snipe hunting was my all time personal favorite for the FNG's......

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

"There's one, quick stomp it!" :haha: :haha: (cowsh!t dripping from shoe)" :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

My nephew was out at the Jamboree thing. Thank God he wasn't witness to the electrocution incident. He said there was all kinds of kids that were getting sick from the heat. His tent mate had to spend a night in the infirmary due to heat sickness.

My brother was upset about the lingering media attention focused on the event after the tragedy with the 4 scout leaders. Hopefully, the coverage will die down quietly and the boys can continue to enjoy their events as they have for many years to come.