Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who does good work?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by swamp donkey, May 24, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I have a beat down, tore up '69 k5 that needs some major drivetrain (at the very least) work. I am in So. Cal and plan on dumping arounf $5k into it. Anyone reccomend one shop over the next? I am in Culver City (near LAX) I am thinking about taking it over to 4xDoctor in Burbank. Anyone got any better suggestions?

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Off Road Unlimited, maybe?? I dunno, i do all my work myself. What needs to be fixed??

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i've never had any work done here, but the guy has awsome customer service and is very nice.... www.gmtruckcenter.com

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, what kind of work needs to be done. I'm in Torrance, so you are pretty close to me.

5. 4 wheel specialties does good work, i know a few others. what kind of work??

6. swamp donkey

Frame is cracked in 4 or 5 places around steering box, front diff is messed up, rear is welded or messed up. Needs rims and tires, needs paint and body, needs to be thrown away.

7. swamp donkey

I tallked to GMTRUCKS and got a great vibe. They are a $100 tow away, but really know there trucks. May do an 8 bolt conversion and save some hedaches - keep the suggestions comming. Thanks

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You're right. Henrick's a great guy. They do some good work.

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with the cracks in my frame. ORD has the fix. It's called a Fish Plate and it gets welded on the frame over the cracked area. You should also get the steering box brace from ORD. That is a bolt on. Get those two things and have who ever does your work install them.

10. Esteban86K5

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

needs to be thrown away.

<hr></blockquote>

I've got a big trash bin that i like to call a driveway if your interested./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Everything that you need done can be done by yourself, with some help from other club members. Come to a couple of meetings and to a couple of trail runs and get to know everyone. Give everyone A LOT of beer and you will have a handfull of guys in your driveway ready to tear into your truck./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Seriously though, there is no better way of getting to know your truck than doing the work yourself. That way WHEN you break on the trail, you will kow how to fix it.

11. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I'll second that!!! I learned quite a bit about my 12 bolt the hard way. But now I know what to do if I blow another axle!! (thanks you guys)

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Tom... Were you able to get that locker replaced?

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Soooo, that's the trick, eh? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Ok: BEER!!! MY HOUSE!!!!

14. swamp donkey

The problem with beer and buddies is this - I need this truck to be my Daily driver by the 4th of July. It needs to be a safe reliable truck to drop my daughter off at school, and get me to work. I need to take it to a shop that has definitive answers and the man power to implement them.
    As far as fixing it on the trail... hahah. I am a poser. This truck might see a few Sand Dunes, or little trail here and there, but I just bought it to be cool /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. Esteban86K5

16. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

can I give a AMEN to fixing it yourself
    but if you do need stuff done i to have had a great expercience at gmtruck center The guy Henrick was honest' fair priced' and Knew his stuff

17. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

maybe estaban can lend you some armorall!!!!

18. swamp donkey

GMTRUCKCENTER is picking it up tomorrow (Thursday). Thanks for all the advice. If I replace the drivetrain, any one got any do's or dont's?

19. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

If you're planning on the truck seeing 99% highway miles, don't get any lockers or other stuff like that. I would suggest getting a 14 bolt rear axle as it will never break on you. You could get a regular old 10 bolt rear for real cheap, but they have a reputation for breaking on this board. If you plan on running stock size tires, I personally think a 10 bolt would be fine...I ran 35s on mine for 5 years without a hitch...

As for the front, don't fall into the Dana 60 "trap" - just keep it a Dana 44 or 10 bolt, it is more than adequate for what you have said your plans are for this truck. If you went with a 14bolt rear axle, you would need to get a Dana 44HD axle (8 lug) or simply have the 10 bolt hubs/rotors swapped to the 3/4ton stuff (8 lugs).

I would suggest staying as stock as possible on the engine, since it will be more reliable for you. You might think about getting a stock replacement GM 350 for it. Tranny - depends on whether you want stick or auto - if going auto, stay with the tried and true TH350...otherwise ask around about the manuals, as I don't know enough about them.

Just don't let anyone take all of your money for "heavy duty" parts if you don't plan on putting your truck to "heavy duty" use! That's the biggest bit of advice I can give you! Just remember your goals!

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm with kieth in sugesting a 14 bolt even if you are only are going to take it offroad once a year...but I would use the 9.5" 14 bolt (also known as the semi-floater 14 bolt). You can get them in 6 lug form some of the newer IFS trucks and will be able to use your 6-lug wheels.

If you have to do alot of hwy miles a swap to a 700r4 might be worth it for the overdirve.