Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who doesn't like a nice big rack?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hawkeye649, Aug 19, 2006.

1. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My father built those rollers for the roof rack on an S10. They fit perfectly on this truck, even with that storage box up there!

[​IMG]

All four of the locks on the truck are keyed the same. I also have some quick release type latches in the locking box for when I'm not as nervous about theft. Eventually a locking mechanism will go on the tool box on the bumper and the lock box ontop will only have one padlock.

[​IMG]

Freebie J-hooks are the best.

[​IMG]

Not that I've had a problem, but I came up with a simple fix for snapping tire carriers: safety chain. I figure it should lessen the carnage, at the very least keeping it contained to my rig wich is my biggest worry.

[​IMG]

This part isn't done. I need to make a "bucket" for the blade to swing down into to protect fangers. It also needs a stop infront of it, since the head is towards the front of the truck. In an accident it could possibly slide right out from under all it's supports and thwonk something..... The shovel is facing backwards so only my *movie voice* awesome powers of acceleration *off* could get it out via kenetics.

To follow is some more sexyness....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry forgot to rotate... just think back to when you used to look at the pullouts in playboy. :p:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mmmm... I love that last shot.
    I have my father 17' (I think) folbot on the roof now and it's sittin up there just perfectly. My father amazes me the boat is older than the truck it's on, but younger than me (it's named after me) so I'd have to guess 19-20 years old. Still going strong....:D
    Still so much more to do but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yankee ingenuity!!! :waytogo: :waytogo:
    I like it! :D
    B-b-b-bad!!!

3. hawkeye649

I forgot to mention the rope tie-down points. Can't remember the name right now... two opposing "horns" you can do a clover hitch around.

4. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nice Rack in deed also I am diggin that TOP she's wearin

5. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I really like your set-up. Everytime I see one of those tops I say I'm gonna get one. Nice rig.:cool:

6. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it looks like you got some pretty wicked irregular tire wear, you oughta get that checked out, pdq.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That looks great. What kind of snorkel you running?

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I got one like that!

Thats a great looking setup!--I found a twin to your roof rack a few years ago at our local dump's metal pile!..I always suspected it was factory built,no tags on it though...was in nice shape when I first got it,and it had a "Grote" revolving beacon mounted on it--it even worked!..(still have it!)..

--it sat in my yard for a few years until I finally put 2" planks on it and welded some axles and wheelbarrow sized tires from an old tire rack at my friends shop onto it,to make a trailer out of it for my riding mower!..

I like the custom bumpers and tire rack !.. You've done a fine job fabbing all that stuff up!..:crazy:

9. hawkeye649

Front tires are from a different rig. Thing ride quite true... stopping straight is different... need to fix that. :p:

10. hawkeye649

I made it. If you do a search for something like "wikked HP gains through cold air intake" you can see me get brutally flamed about it. I think you helped. :p: Then they attacked my bumper. :rolleyes:

It's still flame worthy, been about 2 weeks since I finished it up and it still isn't hooked up. :haha:

That particular bit is made up out of some sheetmetal I got from a company throwing out industrial metal racks (it's like 14-16ga not light weight), duct pipe from home depo, and a piece of fender off of a suburban for the inner curve. I bent the long curves for the outer bit over a 20' antenna pole and beat the curves for the front (which aren't all that perfect) into shape by using the ground as a "lead bean bag". Wish I could have found my ball-peen the framing hammer I had just didn't cut it. :weld: :hack: :grind: Just havin fun. :D

11. kontradictions

kontradictions 1/2 ton status

looks great...which soft top is that?

12. hawkeye649

If you look on the corners of the rack "Conn-Ferr" is stamped into them I think it says they are out of south carolina. I got mine on the side of the road for free too :-)

Nothing makes something look new again like 2-3 hours of grinding, some rattle can flat black (which I am definitly growing to love) and some custom mounts for cool stuff. :wink1:

Anyways so I keep all my fluids up on that rack. Figure keep the smelly burnables out of the cab and free up some room. Maybe my bench seat will go back in there some day. I need to go and replace the screws that hold the actual top together, they are some really small I think either brass or stainless screw but tiny like 1/4" or 3/16" so I want to go for at least 1/2" just so they aren't the weak link and my canoe rips off the whole top securly fastened to my rack. :doah:

I also want to put like a 1" tall oak strip across the front, the off-road lights stick up about .5" more than the racks rails.

I definitly love my can back, and it is the sole reason I'm on the fence about my full vert conversion. I've come up with 2 possible senarios. 1 I buy an STC soft top and put either the can back frame or something similar inside and attach it to that, since the STC's can't hold weight. OR I get some of the STC window frame bits and try to make the front half out of some sunbrella myself. I got a wikked nasty gram from the new owners of Can-Back saying that I'm a dumb ass, that 30+ people would need to cut off their roofs to make it worth their while, that that would never happen, so they didn't want to make me a top. I replied that there were well over 100,000 full vert blazers made that would be exactly the same as my truck when done. :rolleyes: Didn't say that I could probably find 30+ people who cut off their roof in about 5 minutes. :D

So that paragraph basically boils down to I suggest the product, LOVE the top, just like steve fox did, but don't know about the current owners. Spoze if you don't sound like a crack pot then you probably will get better treatment. ;)

13. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

:p: :p: mines better!:p: :p: haha maybe if mine had looked that good i wouldent have cut it off. :bow:

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have a Can Back and a Con Ferr rack, but haven't mounted the rack yet. Was debating whether I'd like the look of it or if it just made the truck look tall and more like a brick than it is.

I like how yours looks.

How are you running the wiring for the lights on the rack so that the cab and bed stay water free in the rain?

15. hawkeye649

I haven't finished the wireing, nor started it. :o I always figure something out though... What I've thought of so far is if you have it go through/under the plastic bit that attches to the roof, then you could run it right down the channel made by the inner hard top seal or into the "integrated roll bar" cavity to make it super slick.

I needed to flip the tabs on the can back upside down to gain an inch or so of clearance for the top, the tabs on the rear of the truck needed to be moved about 10" IIRC to the rear (just cut them off and welded them back on) and I need to make some sheet metal that resembled a rain gutter for it to attach too.

16. hawkeye649

Don't be stealing my thunder dood!!! :wink1:

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Not stealing your thunder, but I just finished installing mine. But I made a post of it in the Suburban forum :thumb:

18. hawkeye649

I remember seeing your "trailer" on here too.

19. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

hahahah i just put it as a joke. i love your rack... hmm never thought that i would say that to a guy....:doah:

*edit*... thunder restored....apologies mate.....lol...

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

So. CA. They're out of business. ORU bought their products or assets or something.
    Was: Con-Ferr