Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who else feels out of place at work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Robert79K5, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Pre college I was a heavy equipment mechanic and fit right in. My coworkers drove 4x4s, rebuilt their own transmissions, drank cheap beer. Post college I am a City Planner. My coworkers drive soccer mom mobiles, build political relations and drink expensive wine. I work in a nice office. In it I have a picture of my 79K5 next to a picture of my Fiance, a Caterpillar D10 model and other assorted non-typical stuff like that. When asked by my coworkers what my weekend plans are and I tell them im going to go pull a 500 Caddy motor out of my 74 eldorado they just look at me strange and accuse me of being weird. I guess it goes without saying also that my political views and outlook on life are a bit different too. Has anyone else found their way into a job where they just feel a little out of place? I cant relate to these people here, and vice versa. Im not ranting... I actually find it amusing, although I wonder how im going to feel years down the road.... So whats your job and how do you fit in?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I fit right in with the other assholes that I work with.....................:D

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you asked this 2 months ago then yep 100% out of place. i have sence changed that and am now back at the old job with the best crew i have found yet. pay is not every thing in the world. good people to work with is great to have.

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Well, most of my co-workers don't speak English. :dunno:

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

say what ? i speek spanish just fine how about you?:haha:

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Hey to each there own. All kinds of diffrent people at work from those in the same group to those totally opposite. Just understand why and how they like thier life and why you like yours. If gave a chance ask them to spend some time with you so they can see if it is fun to them. Also try a little of what they do to see if it really ain't that bad either. Some do not understand why i can go buy tool box for 30-50 dollars to set in the back of my truck but yet i am making one out of a scrap metal shipping container. I will post pics When i am done with this. May be a week or two. Fitting in is nothing but a state of mind. You are no more different than that one odd foriegner in the next office. Just be happy at/with your job is the main thing.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't ever feel like I fit in anywhere, so work isn't much different. Sometimes even on CK5, but I come back cause no one's told me to leave yet :rotfl: .
    I find the suits I work with don't really care much if I like to split my own firewood while they lite their gas log, or offroad (in the days when I did) while they test drive a new MLB. We all get along fine, and I continue on in drudgery, dreaming of the day I'll not have to ride a train or sit in an office to keep my wife from working and my kids growing up comfortable.

It's the politics that everyone gets bent about...

9. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I know exactly what you're talking about. I work in an IT (computer) dept. as a network administrator. Everyone sits around and talks about their new 60" plasma TV, and how they spilled their double esspresso latte on the leather seats in their VW. (Although I like the gadgets as much as the next guy.) You look out into the parking lot and see all these sparkling show room beauties, and then... THE BEAST. 8'6" tall '79 Blazer standing on 40" Boggers. I just kind of chuckle under my breath.

The really funny thing, I think that most of the guys there kind of secretly envy me. The always ask me to tell them about my 4x4 adventures, and want to ride in my truck when we go to lunch. Make it all the more fun!

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Ratch you have to quit wearing your helmet 24/7 if you want to fit in. :p:

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Nah, although, I am a heavy-duty diesel mechanic....so I love it. Nothing like working with a bunch of gear heads.

12. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I feel pretty out of place. I work in an office in a group of about 30 of whom 25 are women. I enjoy being the odd one. They all think I'm nuts because I built my own house, and work on my own cars - and worst of all have a four wheel drive truck - and its OLD :eek1: (I thought a '91 blazer was new :confused: )

I don't know how long I'll last before I have to start doing something else. Somedays being in an office makes me crazy - but the paycheck helps take the edge off :D .

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Ohhhhh man... I'm not TOTALLY out of place at work... I work with a bunch of weirdoes. Those folks who are "normal" are the ones who are out of place... BUT, I went into a state government building today to pick up a waste water permit... Holy crap that place was like stepping into the offices of Hell. Four floors, completely open except for some offices along the back walls. Everyone has cubicles, and it was so quiet in that building I could hear the echo of the taps on my shoes clicking on the tile floor... I don't know that I could stand that, and I'm considering a job that may very well be in that environment... I might want to rethink that :doah:

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Misfit...

Even though I worked at jobs I was interested in (more or less)..I still never felt like "one of the crew"..Seems the music I listen too,the truck I drive,or what TV shows I watch were never my co-workers favorites..so I was labelled an outcast..

I was always made to feel like an intruder or outsider by the others there for the most part..so I kept mostly to myself..and when they would ask me for an answer to a question,I'd just give them the same treatment they gave me 90% of the time..If I asked them the procedure followed for say,returning a part at this store,when I'd just started working there,they'ed say "ask the boss"..:surepal:

I'd have to trot upstairs,and knock on Mr.bigwigs door,and feel like a fool asking "how should I do this??"..he soon tired of me asking all the questions,and told me to "just ask another counterman"..when I told him they sent me to see him,he got bulls***,and calls everyone together,and make me feel like the little boy who cried to the teacher in kindegarten..and tells them to teach me the rules of the place..naturally,they resented me even more after that.. Many times they would tell me exactly NOT how to do something,and got immense pleasure hearing me get my ass reamed out by the boss,for doing it wrong!(or should I say,not "his" way")..:mad: ..

This is only one of many places I worked at..all of the others had a "clique" I never seemed to fit into too..this is one of the main reasons I'm not employed at a retail store now..I just cant stand the BS that goes along with working with other guys that are D***heads 90% of the time..or always being the low man on the totem pole ,and the butt of everyone's jokes..I'm not there to socialize,I'm there to punch in,do my job,punch out,and GO HOME...not be part of a "clique"..

I never "fit in" in school much either..got treated much the same there,and I'd hoped when I graduated,and everyone was an adult,things would change..they didn't..adults here are more childish than the children!:screwy:

I prefer working alone,and doing my job MY way.(a few bosses I had realized this,and saw I did good work when not forced to do it "their way,or the highway"--).

A few small parts stores I ran mostly alone--the boss only came in to open the place,and put cash in the registers,and close up at days end..had one other guy working with me..that was the best job scenario--we were balls to the wall busy some days,since there was only 2 of us working there--..but we had to get along, and depended on each other--no sniping or backbiting could exist..

Too bad I haven't found something I could make in my shop that sells at a profit..I'd be out there making them right now!..I'd love to be self employed ,and actually MAKE money doing it..hasn't worked that way for the past 11 years I've tried..time to go back to the suck world of nine to five jobs,cliques,and moronic co-workers and slackers who get away with doing nothing all day,and get paid for it,while I bust my ass.....:mad: ..

15. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I second it. HD Mechanic with a streak of Alberta redneck.

16. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm the only one out of about 100 where I work, that has a vehicle that isn't almost stock! Boring..................:rolleyes:

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same here. Most of the people in my office have no idea what to say to me and are mystified by the Burb/working on my own cars/building/anything that takes any physical effort at all.:D

18. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I fit in just fine, all the guys I work with like the hooch and like fishing and hunting. We're all a bunch of dirty rough necks...

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

But it keeps my head safe!

20. aldrichg9

aldrichg9 Registered Member

I'm the youngest at my job by at least 15 years.
    Only single one and only one with no kids.:pimp: