Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who else hates the new oil contaner's, POS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by boggerless, Jul 18, 2004.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

who else hates the new oil contaner\'s, POS

i miss the old card boaed quart's with the steel top and bottom.pop two small holes and your in, these newwer plastic junk quart's suck. that spout almost guarentee's oil on the valve cover. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Re: who else hates the new oil contaner\'s, POS

NO DOUBT!!!! I remideid this by taking an mt oil quart plastic bottle and cutting the bottom off of it, now it's a funnel, and it works great, no more spills /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. boggerless

HELL YEA /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i never spilled with the old quarts,now i spill a little every time. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I liked the old quart cans MUCH better than these plastic pieces of crap. Never spilled a drop with the nice long spout. Now my truck looks like a mosquito fogger after I change the oil.

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Heck Yeah!! I saw an Mobil Oil cardboard can in an antique store outside Mojave last week.

An Antique store?!?!

I miss them too.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I miss the glass containers. They came with their own spout.

7. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

If you can remember those, and remember using them enough to miss them....You must be the oldest K5'er on the list! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    (these disappeared in the late 40's early 50's. Came in cool little "6 pack" containers)

[ QUOTE ]
    I miss the glass containers. They came with their own spout.

[/ QUOTE ]

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You old fogeys.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

There's this new invention, it's this crazy little doohicky called a "funnel". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It works great if your wrinkled old hands are too shaky to hit the oil fill hole. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I use the new plastic bottles, the widemouth ones that Mobil 1 comes in which are even harder to use. That said, I never spill a drop, so there! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

y'all are old /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, I have seen cardboard quarts but well before my time and as for the plastics, I guess its like computers, comes natural to us young folks cause I rarely if ever spill a drop.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

This thread makes me feel young! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I too have never spilled oil on ma 'covers. Probably due to my fancy-pants funnel...

BTW - Glass bottles???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i dont have a problem with spilling oil. maybe im just lucky. yes, i spill some, but it dont bother me. i have rags, and dont mind a lil smokey oil smell now an then...
    suck it up, get a funnel, an pour it on!
    Grant

12. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw an Mobil Oil cardboard can in an antique store outside Mojave last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I'm an official owner of some antiques. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

If I was old enough to remember cardboard containers, I probably couldn't see well enough anymore either to hit the hole /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

You can even buy spouts that screw onto the top of the plastic bottles that look like the old school spouts.

15. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

How about pumping it out of the 55 gallon drum into the metal can with the flexible spout. I always felt like I was watering flowers with my girlie oil can. Martha Stewart changes the oil.

1. First you find a nice old vehicle that is just starving for attention, then you change the fluids because they are the life blood of any internal combustion engine.

2. Changing the oil, romove the drain cork, this can be a messy job so put on your work clothes and you may even want to use an apron like the one I am wearing. Its important to change the filter everytime because we don't want nasty little deposits in our fresh tan lubrication liquid. It is best to do this when the oil is warm but not too hot, it makes it drizzle all the better on the oil pan, driveway, and exhaust.

After tghtiening bothe the drain plug and the new filter snug I like to give it a little extra twist with the wrench. I find that on the filter one of these rubber gippers work well and if you look in my collection you can accessorize your garage with some different patterns to match the seasons or how you feel. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Now when replacing the oil you just twist off the little cap ussually located on the valve cover of older vehicles like this. Remember righty tighty lefty loosey. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Place the cap somewhere you can find it again. I like to put it on these cut lacy doilies on the workbench.

Now when adding new oil if you are feeling daring you can try to pour it straight without any assistance. It takes a little practice but you will find with regular oil changes you will gain the required skill. For those of us who only change oil between prison stints. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I find it handy to use a special can or a funnel. These can also be found in several patterns and colors.

Remember to consult your owners manual and refer to the capacities listing in the index for the proper amount of fluid. When you think you are done check the dipstick twice. Insert if fully into the tube and pull it out quickly, hold the disptick paralel to the floor and make sure it is between the add and full mark or on this pretty little crosshatched design area. This should be done on a level surface as not too give you a false reading. We all know what too much or too little fluid can do during those high revving times.

Now in this other garage I have another K5 that i have preparted earlier and you can see the nice golden brown color of the oil and it has that nice not too tart taste.

I hope you enjoy changing your fluids as much as I have today and remember SELL SELL SELL no wait Happy living. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Wow was I in touch with my feminine side or what!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think you did that a little TOO well... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

DUDE! take the apron off, and step away from the doillie!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    someone has been watching a little too much TV. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. boggerless

didn't need a funnel,that was money i could have spent on patch kits for the model T tires sonny /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. boggerless

HEY F YOU /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. boggerless

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifmy other k5 /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif