Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who else is in the fulltime4x4 dd club?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazeonchevy, Jul 25, 2006.

1. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

just wondering if others with this setup have experienced strange turning....i guess im just used to driving in 2wd on the street. but when i turn and get on it some it kinda shakes from side to side more of a wobble i guess....i really notice it when im leaving work because i turn out of the parkinglot kind of tight and it does this. the wheelbearings are good and snug. someof the steering components may be worn out but i have replaced alot of it. draglink and such. this may be normal..something i have to live with.. but i just wanted to ease my mind on this one...yall know how that goes im sure. well thanks. -sam-

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

What kinda setup ya running? lift, tires, steering mods etc.?

I was driving a fulltime everyday. Parted it out recently.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I had a 78 full timer when I lived inTexas. The front end would do a jerking thing when turning really sharp on asphalt/concrete. My 79 Power Wagon did the same thing, so either they both had the same problem, or its normal for the system???

4. blazeonchevy

this is how i bought it so dont hate me for this....i just dont have the money to fix this.:o

its got a pretty skrewylift... since you said that im thinking that may be the problem. its got 3"blocks in the rear. but its got stock springs w/ a messed up addaleaf in the front and about a 1" block thats kinda off kilter... doesnt have steering correction. 33's.
    i have some 4" springs for the front and a steering arm that ill be putting on but i need to get something for the rear lift before i do

i guess thats my problem and theres not much i can do...till i replace the spings and stuff.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Mine has been fultime all its life and still is, with 38.5s. Never felt anything strange turning. Drives smoothly. Maybe shocks or Ujoints?

6. blazeonchevy

hows the tire wear with those 38.5's? just wondering because everyone freaks out when i tell them its fulltime and they ask about the tires. but i havent been driving it long and havent noticed anything. this is with 33's but as soon as i have the money 38's or 40's....

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

They're practically new. Maybe 500 miles at most. I've had them for two years now, but have only made about 5 trips with them. My Blazer is my trail-only rig. I always drive it to and from the trail. It's not a trailer queen either.

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Check and make sure your case is in hi not hi lock. This solved my jerking steering wheel problem. Mine was kind of hard to tell what it was in but after some expirmenting I figured it out

9. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If its a full time tcase, i think it will do this normally. To what degree it shakes is gonna be dependent on the condition of other parts....but a little is normal. Drive a full size grand cherokee wiht full time, esp the v8, it does all sorts of wierd things turning. Just the nature of hte 4x4 system.

You coudl consider converting your tcase to part time and getting front hubs.....but if you don't have the cash......guess you can just live with it.

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When mine was full time (1 year with 35s and 1 year with 38s) it had no weird things going on at all, didn't even feel full time until you needed it but in hi lock it felt weird