Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who Else Thinks Linkin Park is Going to be the Top Band of this Decade?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1-ton, Jul 15, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In the 60's it was the Beatles

In the 70's it was Led Zeppelin

In the 80's it was U2

In the 90's it was Nirvana (sort of)

This Decade I think Linkin Park will rule!

[​IMG]

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know about top band of the decade, but one of the top bands.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

You and a bunch of angry 15 year olds.

4. 1-ton

For anybody that has a Yahoo e-mail account their Music link "Launch" just posted some old Black Sabbath film cuts of them performing N.I.B, War Pigs, and Paranoid in 1970. I especially like the War Pigs performance. It is still quite impressive for a performance that happened close to 35 years ago.

[​IMG]

If you are really into the old hard rock music of the 70's, then Yahoo's "Launch" also has an old performance of the original Alice Cooper group doing Under My Wheels in 1971.

[​IMG]

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think your last 3 are innacurate but thats me...

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

It seems to me (and I'm no music afficianado) that you're confusing bands that had a groundbreaking sound with bands "of the decade". It's true that all the bands that you mentioned had distictive soudns that forever changed music (except U2, but that's my opinion), but if Linkin Park does the same thing to music in this decade then I'm giving up on music entirely. They're OK, but I don't think they hold a candle to what Zep or Nirvana did for music.

Besides, Michael Jackson was the band of the 80s. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

To all you "No" people, I just need too ask do you liston to any modern music ?? I'm not trying too put anyone one down, but if you don't think Linkin Park has a chance, who do you think does ??? Just wondering. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    I think your last 3 are innacurate but thats me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy George, Michael Jackson, and Brittany Spears does not count SledDog! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd say yes. They are very talented.

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Tough call considering the decade isnt halfway over yet. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I think Linkin Park puts on a sick show. If they ever come around your way, they are a must see. As for best band of the decade, I think they are in the running.

-Chris

14. 1-ton

Chester Bennington has one of the most powerful voices I have ever heard in rock and roll. He can sing just as good live too.

15. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have 50 bucks that says they aren't around in 5 years. there is nothing original about them. There stuff all sounds the same. AND I LIKE EM!!

16. 1-ton

Yes, that is true. They may very well disintegrate, and become nothing more than has beens. I think their song writing skills are improving. There arrangements are becoming more complex, but I guess we all here something different. Some people probably think Jessica Simpson is greatest thing since Beethoven or John Lennon.

17. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I dunno. They have some catchy tunes and have definitely cornered the market on aggression, but off the top of my head I can name a few new bands that have equal or better talent and musicianship:

1. Coldplay

2. Audioslave

3. Finger 11

4. Beyonce(formerly of Destiny's Child)

5. Jet

6. The White Stripes

You'll notice that all the above artists aren't necessarily in the "Rock" genre. Keep in mind that when you refer to the "Best" act of the decade that there are many music styles you don't EVER listen to but should be considered for the title.

So in closing, let's say that if you had said that Linkin Park is heading towards being "The Best Mainstream Rock Act of the Decade" then, yes, you have a point. Although, like somebody else brought up, the decade isn't even 1/2 over yet...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yea, I think Jet and Audioslave are a hell of a lot better and more original than most of the other [darn] on the radio. I am not a modern hard rock fan by any means, but I really like those two bands and so do a lot of other people who do not generally like hard rock.

19. 1-ton

I think Coldplay has a lot of potential. I like the White Stripes. They remind me of Marc Bolan's band T-Rex.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yea, I think Jet and Audioslave are a hell of a lot better and more original than most of the other [darn] on the radio. I am not a modern hard rock fan by any means, but I really like those two bands and so do a lot of other people who do not generally like hard rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Tyler talking about something besides hardcore country?

I personally can't stand Audioslave. Don't care for the sound, or the voice.