Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who Had Pictures of a NoseTilt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WOODYJ, Jul 24, 2001.

1. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Just saw some pictures and a post on a nose tilt not too long ago, but can't seem to find it now. Being in a wheelchair, that would really help me out to get to the motor. Can anyone help?

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

look around on...
    http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com
    he did a nose tilt on his plowing rig if i remember right

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Here it is clickable. I thought I this was something I'd want to tackle, but it actually looks way too time consuming, and I'm not any good with that welder yet...

k5.8m.com
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yeah, chuck's chevy pages has a bit on his tilt nose. I don't get why you'd want it but to each his own.
    If I remember right, he never got around to actuating it so he would just prop it with a piece of wood. If you're going to do it, at least finish it.
    Has Chuck even updated his pages in the last 6 months? It looks like the same old stuff.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

5. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know Chuck's handle? His web site doesn't show everything. Thought I would send him a personal.
    Thanks!

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Having had a tilt nose and a friend that had 1, I would strongly recommend against it. They are way cool but on a driver they are just no good. Theyre alot of work to fabricate. The problem w/ them is that they bounce around ALOT! My friend tried everything to get his under control, and I took his last set up and went further w/ more braceing better hinge design ETC and still couldnt get it to stop bouncing! One nite on my way home I was driving into a head wind and watching it bounce wildly when a semi passed and the tail wind off of it got under my truck and ripped a chunk of the frame rail off beyond my welds!! Fortunately it did not fly off and only 1 side came loose, but let me tell ya I about had to clean my shorts after it happened. Nuttin like seeing the underside of your front end from inside your rig while doing 50 MPH!! WOOHOO! I did like having it but it was way too impractical to keep.

Out of 100,000 sperm, YOU were the fastest?? [​IMG]

7. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Pureinsanity--Thanks for the post! It is just that your and my needs may not be the same. I have been confined to a wheelchair for 26 years. I like to work on my own vehicles. I had a Ford Mustang that I put a 1 piece front end on that layed out to the front. I could get in and work on the motor very easily by getting on the front wheel and then having all the tools handy. I have been driving a '76 Blazer for the past 10 years or more and can't get to the engine to take care of business. I hate to be dependant on someone else working on my jewel. I am in the process of putting an LS1 and 4L60E in a '78 Blazer and want a way to work on it myself. I like tire tracks on my rear if I can get to what needs to be taken care of. I just knew that someone on this board had done this before, and thought that it would be allot easier to follow some kind of instruction, rather than just jumping with both feet and doing it myself. If anyone has any pictures it would really be appreciated! I am sure I can do it on my own, but why make mistakes that other people have already done. Any help would be appreciated!!! I looked at Chucks pictures and couldn't get most of them to come up. Does anyone know his handle so I can send him a personal? any hwlp would be appreciated!!

8. Pure Insanity

k5woody, I guess I didnt read your whole post, and didnt see the reason why you want a tilt. Sorry, otherwize I would have posted this link for you instead.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.usbody.com/WhereQualityComesFirst.htm>http://www.usbody.com/WhereQualityComesFirst.htm</a>
    This link is to us. bodysource, They make a 1 peice glass nose, s well as complete glass blazer bodies. They have the Blazers listed under 73-87 chevy trucks, so go there 1st and look around for the blazer stuff listed. Im not sure if you want to go that route or not But they have a complete write up on the glass body Blazer and they installed a 1 peice on it so there may be some info on those also.

Good luck setting it up if theres any questions you have feel free to ask.

1 thing I'll say in relation to Chucks write up is The way he did the radiator support, IMO trim away whats ness. to mount the radiator to a separate(sp) mount and leave the radiator mounted to the frame that way rather than cutting the support the way he did. Also if you have a 73-80 rig you can also have it so the hood still opens normal and also tilts, by not cutting the support that way. Also keep the pivot point to the front as far as you can, just under the front pan, below the grille. And drop the front bumper and move it forward a little to help w/ clearance to the bumper.

As I said if you have any more q's let me know but P/M me,to be sure I get em. Sorry but I have no pics of my setup , but Ill check w/ my buddy to see if he has any of his. (he is a pcture freak so he prob does!)

9. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

pureinsanity, Thanks for the post. I will check a few of these things out. I am sure I will have questions, so humor me, OK. Thanks again for the info!!

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

chuck has many different sites he maintains and sadly the first he stopped was his chevy page he also does Plowsite.com and lawnsite.com and he has another i forget the name...i dont think he frequents ck5 cuz he already has his hands full but he refered me here when i got my blazer...you can contact him at
    csmith669@aol.com

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

11. Pure Insanity

Fire away w/ the questions! I will try to get some pics of my buddys tilt to post. It was on a 70/ 80 gm so it would be exactly what you would need. His was fine for a tilt nose, he just put on a lot of miles w/ 44s and his like mine bounced quite a bit. He even had hydralics on his, if that intrests you Ill tell you what OEM parts to look for in a junk yard.

12. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the post, and where I can find Chuck. I really appreciate it.

13. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Pureinsanity-Thanks for the help. I thought I would go with hydraulics. That would be pretty easy to get the front tilted then. I have been doing some other projects with hydraulics and it really seems the way to go. I have been buying convertible top raising motors and cylinders and have put them on quite a few things. They are really labor saving devices sometimes!!

14. Pure Insanity

AH HA! Exactly! Convertable top stuff is the way to go. My buddy and I both used the pump and rams from a mustang 'vert top. In fact it was the SAME stuff! I got it after he did away w/ the tilt.

15. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Hey, it sounds like you might have come up with something from my silliness. Hope it works for you. I have been using the pumps and cylinders out of all kinds of vehicles. They all seem to work well for what I have been doing with them.

16. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

When I was working on my first Chevy truck,I was considering nose tilt.But unfortunately I didn't have enough time to build it.It came to my mind too that it will wobble a lot,so I was thinking that I make cross bar near the firewall.But it would still move around while driving,so I made two cones that I was going to bolt inside the fenders and use somekind of sleeve that would guide nose tilt in place so it wont move sideways.
    But,maybe I use that idea on my next project...what ever Chevy it'll be..