Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has 38 X 12.50 X 15 TSL's -- pics and performance info needed!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Aug 26, 2002.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Who has 38 X 12.50 X 15 TSL\'s -- pics and performance info needed!

I am really thinking about getting these and was wondering how their performance would be. I also dont want them to look weird because they are skinnier than my 14.50 TSL/SX's. Since I run a softtop and pickup tailgate, there is almost no weight on the rear end, and with the tires aired down I think it is hurting my on trail perfomance. It is cool because I can smoke these at a stop light and make mustangs look silly (even though I and them know that the car can out run me, the look of those big a$$ tires smoking chumps them out to all the on lookers hehehehe, not that I condone this type of behavior)...

Anyway, pics and comments welcome

rob

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Re: Who has 38 X 12.50 X 15 TSL\'s -- pics and performance info needed!

I run them, and I love them. I only run them off road though. They are noisy on the freeway!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I have them mounted on 8" wide wheels to minimize rubbing, not to mention that as soon as you mount them on 10" wheels the actual tire height goes down to about 36". Click on the link for pics off some off road action.

http://community.webshots.com/album/43145834zXcopk

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Check out Butch w/ Bent & Twisted 4x4. He has a set on his. Check on the Moab BB '02 pics.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I dont have much weight on the rearend of mine either. I just stepped from 36x12.5x16s to 38/13/16s. Haven't wheeled it hard since the switch, but I love the narrower tires to tuck under my rearend. Never have had probems with traction on the rear either and I'm bobbed 13", no TG, minimal bumper, and 20 gal cell. Pics of my old tires are all over my webshots, and the new ones on a 4" TC EZ ride are on the Got Jeep section.

5. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Have you ever actually weighed the front and rear axles on your truck? I found that with the full top, tailgate, etc. on my '90 that there was actually more weight on the rear axle than the front. With the top off, tailgate removed, rear seat removed, etc., the rear axle was only 100-200 lbs. lighter than the front.

Anyway, back to your original question. I have seen several of the 36x12.50 SX's on the trail and the guys running them like the tire. I would be skeptical if you could really notice a difference between the exact same tire with the expection of one being 14.50 wide and one being 12.50 wide.

7. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

good points.

Its been a while since i weighed it, but i know its quite a bit lighter esp. since i have an xd9000i mounted on a KMA winch bumper hanging in front of the front axle. I lost a lot of weight with the half cab/ top/tailgate/rearbumper/class III reciever hitch/bumpstop brackets/rear carpet, padding, and side panels etc.

The only thing that added some of the weight back was the 14 bolt and maybe some of the roll cage.

I did go ahead and get the 38x12.50x15 TSL's today, and i can already tell they ride SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than my old TSL/SX's. It looks really good too!

rob