Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has '83-'88 Monte Carlo SS

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Cmoe, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about looking for one as a daily driver to and from work. Does anyone have input for me?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had a 85 Monte Carlo CL back in 95/96. The one I had, had a 4.3 V6. Great car, ran and drove good. I got around in the snow and ice even with 60's on the rear. The 4.3 suprised alot of people, they swore up and down that it had too be a V8 till I popped the hood. The CL's can be had cheaper then the SS, and alot came with the 4.3. I'd recomend the Monte Carlo if you can find one that hasn't been beat on. (High School Hot Rod)

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I had a 78 , my friend TJ had an 84 , they werent SS's but they were cool . They don't seem to rust out as much as the older A bodies ( they switched to g body in 78 as the new front drive cars being developed took the letter a ) used to around the rear window . A cool thing is the floor shift models on many had the column hooked up at the same time , so when you moved the floor shifter the tube on the column moved and worked the indicator in the dash . Most had 305's in the 80's , but with a fresh rebuild and a slight cam , Tj's would light em up from a dead stop and chirp second . I would pull a sway bar off a 78-79 if your doesn't come with one , they kinda halfway box the lower trailing arms because of the piece of flat stock that goes in the center to keep the bolts from pulling out .

The interiors are kinda cool too . Most malibus and El Caminos had square speedos , all Montes whether SS or not had round speedos and usually gauges too . A neat thing is if you remove the ashtray from under the radio console on a column shift car with out the floor shift , is that a CB radio will mount flush if you put the mount bracket right where the ashtray bolted .

I hope you find a nice one :D

4. Spkrman

Spkrman Registered Member

Ah man would I love a mid 80's MC... my 99 is nice, but its no 85 :)

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had an 86, my cousin had an 87. Mine was Black cherry, hers was black. the 305's were a little lame. and the 200 trannies sucked! I lost 4th gear. she blew hers up. But they both had 3.73 gears, which was nice. I had a posi, hers was open. I sold mine. we put a 671 supercharged 400SB and a th350 in hers. She drove/showed it for 4 years, then we swapped in a TPI 350 and she drove for a couple of years daily. Then she finally sold it.

6. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

84zz4ss

Yeah I have an 84 Monte SS. My only caution would be parts. Body parts for the SS are expensive and even more if they are good quality. Rust is also a concern depending on the vehicle location. PM me for more SS info.

Scott

7. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my buddy had and 85 ss, he died in a car accident and his parents gave it to my other friend, its a decent car.

the frames rot out in the back so watch out for that.

i have monte carlo ss rims on my 92 s10 :D

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

the mid 80's Monte Carlo SS's are my second favorite cars behind Vettes. They did suffer from weak engines as did everything else from the 80's. They had 305's w/ 180 hp. NOT good. But with a built 350 they make VERY nice very fast cars. I had an '83 but mine was not an SS. Mine had the 229 V6. 115 hp straight off the showroom floor. Hey, don't laugh I could hit 85 mph w/ a tailwind. :D