Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who has a 2500 hd 4x4 ??

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 4x4k20, Jan 10, 2004.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i am looking into getting a 2500hd crewcab 4x4 . but i know nuthing about them. who has one that can give me an ideal of what to expect out of them . i am used to the older chevy 4x4s i have owned over 20 of them in my lifetime . never any seriuos problems .. i would like to have the 8.1 vortec and allision but i have heard its not very fuel efficent . i am looking more towards a 6.0 or the duramax but i am not sure of the diesel i havent heard alot of good talk about them or the 6.0 i just need to hear from someone who owns one /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i have a 2001 2500 hd ext. cab short bed with the 8.1/allison with 3.73's. gets around 9-10 in city and around 14 highway. towing my k5 and gear which is around 10k i get about 10 mpg. my cousin has one, ext. cab short bed with the 6.0 auto and 4.10's and his gets about 15-16 on the highway and around 11-12 in the city. feul mileage they are close but power wise it's no contest, not to mention the allison is absolutely beautiful when towing. after having the 8.1, i would never go back to a small block powered truck. try to drive both and you'll see what i mean about the difference in power. good luck

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I've got an 02 2500HD 4x4.
    Duramax/Allison, get's 20.72 on the highway, about 15 combo city/higway driving.
    Ride's very smooth, like a car almost, has stump pulling torque, 520 ft lbs. at 1800.
    Nicest truck I've ever drivin/owned. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Allison is only available behind the 8.1 or the D-Max, so the choice of the 6.0 is out. For the Allison that is.
    The 2500Hd come's with the massive American Gear/Axle, 11.50 ring gear rear axle, side by side comparison in the latest 4 wheeler mag between it and the Dana 80.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have an '03 Crewcab shortbed, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, 4.10 gears. My dad has an '02 extended cab shortbed with the same powertrain.

My '03 averages about 14-15 mpg combined driving and has, in my opinion, very good power while empty. My previous truck was a '01 Dodge with the 5.9 gas, auto, and 4.10 gears which I thought ran good... now I think the 6.0 runs circles around it plus gets 2-3 mpg more. Towing my K5 on an 18' trailer (about 8,500 lb. weight) nets me about 9 mpg towing.....a lot of the towing is on 2 lane roads with hills and curves on the way to the trails, and I run it pretty hard. While definitely not the 8.1 gas or the Duramax, the 6.0 has adequate power to tow this weight. I worked construction and helped out local farmers when in school and therefore spent a lot of time hauling heavy loads with various different trucks back in the late-80's and early '90's. Based on today's standards (i.e. 600 ft-lb. diesels) the 6.0 is just adequate, but based on the trucks from back then (big blocks, early diesels, etc...) it is way ahead.

The 4L80E trans has the "tow/haul" mode which makes a noticable difference in shift characteristics when engaged. The calibration on the trans seems to work very well and I have experienced absolutely no "shift-hunting" when pulling the trailer. It also has a built-in trans temp gage that is nice to have (it's never even came close to getting hot).

I was originally planning on geting a weight distribution hitch but I have yet to feel uncomfortable with out one. The handling and braking (empty or towing) is much better than my '01 Dodge 1/2 ton. The ride is very quiet, actually I think it's just as good as my wife's Oldsmobile.

The crewcab is nice because adults can actually ride comfortably in the back seat. There is no way an average sized adult would want to take a long trip in my dad's '02 extended cab. I also think having the fullsize, normal opening, rear doors is much more convenient than the small "suicide" style doors the ext. cabs have.

5. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 2000 Chevy (Classic) LS Crew Cab shortbox. Has 350 vortec w/ 4L80 trans and 3:73 gears. I have LT265/75/R15 rubber on it and It gets at best 15MPG driving it easy. Drives very well and I haven't had any major problems yet. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

6. cags

cags Registered Member

i have an 04 with the 6.0 only have about 1500 miles on it to date im getting between 12-14 miles a gallon loaded with tools and ladders