Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has a carrier bearing puller?*Update*--made my own, pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, May 10, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I cannot get the carrier bearings off of my D70 carrier. Probably because I don't have one of these:
    [​IMG]

I don't wanna spend $200-$300 for one, and am pretty sure I can turn one on my lathe, but I'd like to see more pics.

If anyone has one, could you take a bunch of photos of the different pieces from different angles, maybe with a tape measure in the photos?? A scan ofthe users/owners manual would be cool too! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would SERIOUSLY appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW, I DO have a bearing separator and an assortment of pullers, but it appears the the PROPER tool is required here. I was picking the brain of the guy at my local driveline shop today, and he said that that particular style of puller is a must to remove carrier bearings without damaging them. My D70U does not have notches in the carrier for puller jaws to fit into.

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Who has a carrier bearing puller??(And a digital cam.)

I've only replaced carrier bearings on 7.5, 7.625, and 8.5 ten bolts... and twelve bolts... but I just broke the races off with a chisel. The local machineshop does it the same way but they have more practice. They have the right tools to do the job... in fact I've watched them use bearing separators to take carrier bearings off but most of the time they use a chisel.

And if you're trying to save the bearings... then why the heck are you taking them off? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I were you, I'd just take them to a good auto parts store. I could have those bearings off in no time at work with a bearing remover and a press. I could even install the new ones for you, and for a reasonable charge, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mofugly13

I need to be able to save the bearings because I'm in the process of setting up new gears. So I'll put a new shim pack in on each side equal to the ones I take out, but on the 70 the shims go between the carrier and bearing. So if it turns out I need to add/remove shims to get proper backlash/carrier bearing preload, I'll need to pull the bearings without damaging them. I already tried a bearing separator and puller, but the bearing has no shoulder to get under with it. I have a 2/3 jaw puller, but that only serves to distort the cage on the bearing. (I already destroyed one cage and all the rollers came flying out) So I killed the one bearing, so much for making a set of dummy bearings to help with setup.

Tim, what kind of bearing remover do you have at work? I'm really dead-set on doing the WHOLE install myself, no money spent for someone elses labor. Any $$ I spend on this project will only be for the right parts/tools, or materials to fab the proper tools (I hope).

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just a regular bearing seperator. Do an internet search on "bearing seperator" and I'm sure you'd find what I'm talking about.

I'd put it under the bearing and then press the carrier from the bearing, catching the carrier in my hand under the press as I operated the handle.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[​IMG]

You could certainly still use the bearings for set up after this was done.

7. mofugly13

That is exactly what I tried, I have one of those. Problem is, there is no "lip" for it to get under, and there is no way to work it in from between the carrier and bearing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Above are (crappy) photos of both bearings, including the one I wrecked the cage on. On the wrecked one its easy to see how there is nothing to grip on the bearing cone itself. Steve at the driveline shop, who is nice enough to let me pick his brain whenever I have ???'s, said these bearingd are removed by gripping around the bottom of the roler cage, but that the tool needs to support the WHOLE circumference of the cage in order to eliminate unequal stresses which would distort, or destroy the cage. The bearing separator does not support the roller cage ALL the way around. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I spent ~$50 on this [darn] and it don't work! Thats ok tho', I'll use it when I rebuild the tranny in my Yota to separate the gears. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

A 6, 9, or 12-jaw puller would probably work. (Is there such an animal?) But the clamshell type I imaged in the first post looks like the chit, mang.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It looks to me that the design of the carrier just won't allow you to get the seperator in there far enough to get those out without destroying them. I'm sorry to say that I don't think a jaw puller is going to help you either, and that finding a shop that does this on a regular basis that has that expensive puller might be a better bet.

Typically you can get the seperator in there far enough that it'll move, but it appears that one would just require more motivation that I'd be willing to give it with the tools I've got in the shop.

9. mofugly13

[ QUOTE ]
    It looks to me that the design of the carrier just won't allow you to get the seperator in there far enough to get those out without destroying them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'm gonna toy with the idea of fabbing up a puller that will function like that 'spensive mofo for a few days. With my lathe and newly acquired Lincoln SP175P (brag, brag), I think I'll be able to get something going. Which is why I posted in the first place./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, sorry to disrupt your post. I don't own a D70 so I guess I was going on assumption looking at all the other carriers I deal with on a regular basis.

If nothing else we've established what WON'T work, and TTT for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. mofugly13

No sweat, bro. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I always appreciate those who try to help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm in same situation with my Dana60 rear. (hardcore DIY) I need the proper puller. Lock-arm pullers, and bearing seperators (used with a hyd press) will not do.

SnapOn and Kent-Moore has one ($$$) and also Randy R&P sells the proper one, but I am not willing to spend $300+; would much rather make one.

Just thinking out loud here....
    Machining a puller from bar stock would not be that complex a task. Use a thrust bearing from a Greenlee KO punch. It would have to be cut the long way after boring and counter boring. Threads should probably be case hardened.
    Modify some old bearing caps to make the clamps.

If I could have one for a day I could make dwgs.
    Or, convince AutoZone corp. management to have these
    available in stores for their tool lending program.

I would also like to develop plans for a Dana case spreader.

13. Steve_87K5

About home made "set-up", or "cheater" bearings: how would you mount the bearing for honing the race ID? Cut the cage off and then maybe silver solder (hi temp) it back together?

14. mofugly13

The puller I imaged in the first post looks pretty straightforward, but I do wish I could see one and take some measurements to get a better idea of the critical areas. Are you talking about the long-handled ratchet-type KO punch? I've never had one of those apart. I have mostly used the hydraulic type, not the quickshooter, but the one with the separate pump. Hmmmmm, there might be something to work with there... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif My "shop" consists of a lathe, a welder, and a bench grinder right now. In the future I'd like to get a milling machine, then hopefully a surface grinder and maybe a tool & cutter grinder. But for now, the lathe and welder will have to do.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a few rigid pipe couplings, 3", 3 1/2", and 4", and boring out the middle to remove the threads (Just so it's purdy), then welding the appropriately sized "washers" , if you will, (made of 1/8"-3/16" flat stock) over the open ends, and then splitting them down the middle, lengthwise. This would be to form the clamshell parts of the puller. The rest looks really straightforward and easy to make of bar stock. I like the idea of modified bearing caps for a clamp. As far as a case spreader, that looks real easy, heres a photo I found online: [​IMG]

I made a dummy bearing out of the old outer pinion bearing that I pulled. It was way easier than I thought it would be. I was able to grip it in the three jaw chuck, on the inner race.
    [​IMG]

Then I took a piece of aluminum oxide cloth and wrapped it around dowel. I turned on the lathe, 500 rpm, and let the abrasive rub the inside of the race. I figured it would be one of those "try it, take a little more off, try it again, take a little more, try again, etc." deals, but on my first try, the bearing slipped right over the pinion shaft, a real nice slip fit. I was pleased. I only had the abrasive on the bearing for 10 seconds or so, using moderate pressure, and thats all it took. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My machining skills are very limited, as I am pretty much self taught. But some good books, a good machinist forum, and a whole lot of just messin' around have got me steadily improving. I have come to realize that a lathe can do a WHOLE lot more than just make big shafts into small shafts and cut threads. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

The outer pinion bearing usually isn't that tought to get on the pinion anyway. Some of the used ones slip right off during disassembly. Try taking off some of the OD of the inner pinion bearing race, so you can slip it in since the pinion depth shims go behind it.

16. Steve_87K5

I didn't think there was enough to grab onto with the 3 jaw. Excellent! The idea of using rigid pipe couplings is a lot easier than hogging out the inside of some bar stock. The KO punch I mentioned uses a large bolt to draw the two halves together. Hardened machine washers might work. Ordinary washers are soft.

17. mofugly13

I made my own. I asked this same ? over on Pirate and a dude who goes by screen name 'Moby Dick' posted pics of one he made of his own design. I thought it was ingenious and asked if I could copy it, he said sure. So I did. Mine turned out looking almost exactly like his, but the finish on his is better. Anyway, it worked like a friggin' charm! And it's a good thing I made it 'cause I had to adjust the shims 4 times!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wish i could have taken pics of it in action, but my camera was in the shop for a few weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif