Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has a Detroit in their DD?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by marine_enlisted, Apr 23, 2004.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I am switching to 1 ton soon and I am thinking about putting in a locker. I will be living in Minnesota very soon and my truck is a daily driver. It will see light trails, lots of snow and ice, will be equipped with a plow and pull trailers for long distances. I am running 33's until they wear out then will probably go to 35's but no bigger than that. My front is open and will stay like that. I have 4.10's but will probably go to 4.56's. Anyone see any problems with this plan? My main concern is the locker causing the rear end to kick out on icy highways. Is this a problem with a detroit? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have driven mine in the snow and yes if you get on the skinny peddle it will kick out sideways but just go find a place to play with it in the snow and get used to it and its no big deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. marine_enlisted

What about just cruising down the highway at 70 and hitting "black ice" or "glare ice"? I've had that happen unexpectedly in an open diff truck and I nearly shat in my pants! Also what about tire chirp in the corners?

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I think the rear Detroit is one of the best mods we made on our Jimmy; however, I don't live in an area with lots of snow and ice nor do I pull a trailer a lot. The Detroit produces some interesting handling characteristics which with a trailer could be dangerous. I think I would get a lot of input form others before adding a Detriot to use as you have described.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it all depends. if your on the gas heavy or at least accelerating then yes if you hit black ice it will kick sideways till it hits pavement it can grab ahold of. i would put in the detroit and sip your tires really good before winter

6. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

I have a Detroit out back, just took a little getting used to in the snow with the plow on. I have 35" BFG MT's...I think it does pretty good in the snow. Steering with my right foot is fun, but I don't take my Blazer on the highway too often so I can't help there...
    However, I can tell you going from an open 3.73 10 bolt to a 14 bolt with 4.56 and a Detroit is by far the best upgrade I have done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What about just cruising down the highway at 70 and hitting "black ice" or "glare ice"? I've had that happen unexpectedly in an open diff truck and I nearly shat in my pants! Also what about tire chirp in the corners?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a little tire chirp around corners when you get on it but no big deal. Im a huge fan of the Detroit but I wouldnt own one if I drove on icy roads at highway speeds. I lived in WY until 2 yrs ago and even a limited slip really made the back end come around on ice, unfortunately thats just the way it is. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i got one, and i love it. you get used to it. mine dont even chirp anymore, cause i take it easy in the turns. no ice or snow down here in houston. last time i snowed here was like 1993, and it didnt even stick. we get lots of rain though, and it's no big deal with the detroit.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Just remember it locks under acceleration, so if your not on the gas, its not locked. Just stay off the gas around turns. It does wear out tires I will say that. My buddie seems to always be on the gas, and his tires are good and chewed up, mine however arent. At first itll suck, but youll get used to it and love it!

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Theres been a few trucks with lockers in general, here in Montana winter that have rolled off the side of a hill/mountain/road, etc because they encountered ice. I know that the driver plays a big part in that equation, but it definitely makes driving on ice more dangerous.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

locker is safer in that instance if the driver is paying attention
    the open is more likely to break a single tire loose then a locker is likely to break both loose
    true Black Ice is rare, though I did hit some this year in the Semi work truck
    if you can see any traction spot and can get a tire to it yoou will stay dead straight with a locker where an open would spin

I have driven many miles in nasty snow and ice and freezing rain with a detroit
    would want to do it without one

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally have a locker in both of my trucks that I drive on a regular basis. I thought I'd remove the one from my DD for winter but it turned out that was better off leaving it in.

I can say though, it does depend on your tires. I hate driving in very rainy conditions with my swampers. They like to float off the road when you least expect it. If I had a decent set of radial A/ts or something I'd probably drive my big truck every day. I've just got caught in some monsoon rain storms with it and it's nerve wrecking sometimes.

13. marine_enlisted

That's kind of what I plan on doing now. I am getting an open 4.10- carrier and I am going to put in thick 4.56's and a detroit. If I end up not liking it, I'll just put the spiders back in , set the back lash and run it open. I have 33" BFG Mall Terrains on now and will run those until they wear down then I might go to 35" BFG Mud Terrains and that's as big as my poser ass will ever go. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I just finished my 77 it's my dd and weekend warrior. I've got a gm 12bolt with a detroit locker in the rear with 4.56's and a dana 44 with limited slip up front. Thats all sitting on 35x12.5 bfg m/t's. I do alot of freeway/highway driving and lots of snow driving. You'll notice the locker in slippery conditions at first that you get a little more sliding but you get used to it quick and once you do it's definitly worth it. On freeway/highway drives fine-no complaints