Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has a Detroit Locker in their Sub?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by chvyhs, Aug 1, 2002.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I just picked up my 4.88's and Detroit for the rear. I was just curious if anyone else has one in their Sub.

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm going ot get one soon I hope, and possibly a selectable locker for the front, although I think that'll wait until I decide wether I want a D60 or not...

-Rich

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

heavymetal has one in his.

4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have one in my rear 14FF. I never have any trouble getting up or though anything. Of course I never had any trouble before I got it either! The only time I even notice it is when going around a corner with a little gas. It is very easy to install in a 14 bolt FF. I look at it this way, it can only help. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Throttle Boss told me it might lock up too much because of the extra weight over the back tires. I thought he was full of (sh)it. Now I need to find a D60! Who wants to buy some 3/4 ton running gear!?

6. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Lock up because of the weight? Why would it do that? I thought they used Detroits on busses and the like. When I had the 14bolt w/detroit in my 88 sub it was very tame. You quickly get used to the throttle steer. The long wheelbase and the weight help minimize the detroits quirks. Now in the Jimmy with the shorter wheelbase its a whole different story. To bad your so far away or I'd be intrested in those 3/4 ton axles. You'll like the Detroit, but because of its freeplay it did cause the cruise control to hunt sometimes going down hills on the highway. (small price to pay for the benefits).

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I have one in the 14ff of my Blazer and my tow vehicle, Suburban. Weight will not cause it to lock, only lock when there is torque applied. I dont even notice mine is back there, except when I need it and smile.

Ken H.

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm not worried about my cruise control, it doesn't work right now. Thanks for all the info. I've never had a Detroit only gov loc's and posi's. I'll be in 2wd for a while, I can't see spending the $200 to regear the 10 bolt. I just need to get a D60 and enjoy life. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

my dad had a detroit in his wrangler... it threw that tiny light thing all over the road, with its lock/unlock going on... of course, if he turned the wheel too fast in the jeep on the freeway, it'd go up on 2 wheels too. I've been in fullsizes equiped with lockers, and they don't seem to feel the effects near as much as the tiny jeeps do.

-Rich

10. Smurfmobile85

Smurfmobile85 1/2 ton status

There's one in Smurfy's 14FF too. I like it a lot better than the SF w/worn out gov-loc! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif It's the only way we can bark the tires!!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I figure with 4.88's and that Detroit in the FF I'll be doing some barking when I want to. I don't know if I have a gov-loc in the SF right now. I always assumed I did. Both back tires are usually turning.

12. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I decided to just put the Detroit in and regear the rear after I find my D60. That way I can still wheel (even with 7.73's). I love that locker! I was going through trails easily that would normally have me all hung up. I impressed all of the other guys (K5's and Jeeps) with what the Sub was doing. I'll never go back to anything less than a Detroit in the rear again. Now I really need to find a D60 and lock that up too. Those 38" TSL Radials did a real good job too. I used to be worried about catching a rocker panel or the rear overhang but after this weekind I'm not so worried. Those tires and lift kept everything off the rocks all weekend. I think I'm going to get 40" tires next time. You could just tell the taller tire helps. I'll post pics of this weekends trip ASAP. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif