Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has a good cell phone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Jul 13, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have Verizon now and they suck. The customer service is horrible, the cellular service is horrible, and the bill is very confusing. I drove about 20 miles and had 7 dropped calls, and this was in a populated area near St. Louis. I pay $162 a month for 3 three lines and I think I'm getting ripped.

So... does anyone have a cell phone service that doesn't suck?

:crazy:

2. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've had Cingular for about four years and have been very happy with them. Never have any dropped calls or any other problems. They are the only ones that provide service in the three places that I go out of town to regularly. Van Buren, MO, Mena, AR, and Land Between the Lakes in Aurora, KY. I have had service with both Verizon and Sprint and was very unhappy with both. Oh yeah, and with Cingular you get to rollover your unused minutes.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Agreed, cingular rocks. Been with them for a few years now, and have no complaints. I get reception in places that NOBODY else does, unless they also have cingular. Rockport, The Badlands, Springstead Wi, even in the middle of lake Michigan, the list goes on.

4. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

cingular is the best I've had so far. Had verizon "terrible" and At&T "worse". We have 2 phones on a family plan, talk to each other for free, love the roll over minutes. Costs 80.00 bucks a month. Been with them 6 months now never dropped a call, get reception in places the other 2 never could.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have cingular. Since they merged w/ AT&T it has been pretty good. I get full signals where most people are either roaming, or have nothing. Before when it was just AT&T, the service sucked.

I have a Nokia 6200 phone and I swear it make a difference. I had a LG phone before and it sucked monky butt. It's what they call GSM phone. I am not sure what that means, but it was about $100 before rebates. After rebates, it was $50. I really like it. It's small and light enough to fit in my pocket w/out feeling like it's a big rock in my pocket, but big enough to not lose easily. I dont like phones that are too small.

Our family went completely wireless a few months back. Best move we ever made. I can keep track of the kids, and I get no sales calls at all on my cell. I tracked all the calls for 1 month. We got 100 calls in 30 days. Out of those 100 calls, 5 not sales calls. I was paying dang near $100 per month just so I could get inundated w/ sales calls. Pretty bad huh? We had the number for 10 years, and it was kind of a PITA to inform everyone that we now all had new numbers, but it was a good move for our family.

6. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would also add that I think the phone makes as much or more of an impact than the carrier. The other factor is company saturation of towers in your area.

I've got Verizon (5 yrs) with a Motorola V60i phone(2.5yrs). So far I've always been the last one to lose signal when compared to friends with Nextel/Cingular/etc. in the all the areas where I have lived/traveled. (West Michigan and SF bay area California).

Many times I found that other Verizon customers with "cheapie" phones didn't have nearly the same signal strength that I did.

I know.... not helping much. But if you have a cheap phone, I would look there as much or more than I looked at service company.

I would suggest looking at who you know in your area who is happy... then see both what phone they have as well as what service company.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've had verizon service through work for 4 years, and it's been great. I don't remember ever having signal trouble except a few rare times on trips.

This last trip to Florida, we never lost service on my phone, but the PC Card (for the laptop, also verizon) couldn't pick up digital service through most of South Carolina on I95.

I had a Motorola StarTac for a couple years (bullet-proof phone, I still miss it now and then!), then an LG VX4400 (great phone, but flimsy and keypad wore out in a year or so), and currently a Blackberry 7250.
    All have had excellent signals anywhere I've used them, except Pennsylvania's Pocono's, where they were weak and usually analog, but still usable.
    The Blackberry's nice, but I feel like a dork quite often holding a calculator to my head to talk in to...

Anyway, I've had great experience with Verizon so far.

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I use Alltell with my Motorola Star Tac. Up here in the Rockies, I can call out and receive calls when noone else can. I agree that a high quality phone makes a big difference.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks everyone for the replies. Michelle and I went today and picked up some Cingular phones to try them out before we ditch Verizon. Cingular has a 30 day return policy if I'm not happy, so I figured it may be worth a try.

10. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I have verizon as well, and have used them for the last 4 years. I don't have any complaints with my service. As someone else mentioned the actual hardware you are using could make a difference. Also as someone else said, it depends on the area you are in. Verizon has the largest coverage area, I beleive, but there is not one all powerful service that works best in all areas of the country.

11. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i had at&t for a long time, they sucked, i never liked the coverage cingular had. I have Verizon now and they kick ass. Great coverage and great customer service, maybe they just don't like you

12. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I have Verizon for my personal cell and Cingular for my work cell and wireless email. A lot of times if I get calls on my work cell, I have to call back from my Verizon phone because Cingular sucks donkey dong -- at least where I live anyways :rolleyes:

To get my email from home on the wireless device, I have to go out in front of my house, stand on the sidewalk and hold the damn thing in the air :doah:

Where I live, Verizon rocks and Cingular sucks :)

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got verizon, Ive only not had a signal (besides being deep in a building), a couple times. Couple times in the mtns, and there is one road, thats rather fun to drive(fun corners to hang at speed), that I never have a signal on. Its weird, soon as you turn on it, lose signal, turn off, get signal back.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

All cell phones SUCK!!!!!
    Never could figgur out why anyone would need to be that in touch.

Jees!....... I took a guy out fishing and he brought one of those evil things along. The first time it went off ...... I freaked out and threw him and his stupid cell thingy over the side of the boat and fed him to the fishes.
    Arrrrrr!

15. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have Verizon. It spends most of its time turned off because I hate being bothered, but it always seems to have service when I need it. It is my hiking partner.:rolleyes:

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm with Verizon with a Motorola T720 and haven't had a problem. Occationally I'll have a dropped call, but not very often. I went with Verizon because they have the largest service area. I travel through SD, ND, Ne, Ia, Wy, Mt, and Co. alot and Verizon works in all those states.[​IMG] Only mine has the black covers.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I really wish that I could "not have" a cell phone, but unfortunately I need one for work. :crazy:

Performance report: I run a route 90 miles one way then turn around and come back to where I started. I run it either 2 or 3 times a night, 5 days a week, so I'm very familiar with the route. My Verizon phone would have a dead spot for about 13 miles and have 3 dropped calls after that for one 90 mile trip. My new Cingular phone had only 2 dropped calls and no dead spots. Michelle got a better phone than I did so I'll try hers next, but so far Cingular is winning in my area. There were 2 other ex-Verizon customers in the Cingular store when I was there.

Something I find funny about Verizon - I called *611 to discuss my phones poor performance. After pushing a couple buttons I get to the department I need. The recording says: "Thank-you for calling Verizon Wireless; We never stop working for you.... Our office is currently closed, please cal back between the hours of .... Did I miss something?

The next day after being on hold for 42 minutes I finally get to talk to a human. After descibing some of my problems, the Verizon lady says "Well sir, you seem to be the only one who is having any problems." I responded, "No, I'm the only one stupid enough to wait on hold for 42 minutes to complain about your horrible service" :mad:

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have used Sprint for several years. I am on the interstate hwy a lot, and the service is good. If you get off of the highway, it sucks.

The 'Burb has an amplifier and external antenna which works great when I am off road. I haven't been anywhere yet that i could not find a signal of some sort (cell or digital).