Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has a living 700R4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 27, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thinking when I go to my S10 project I will put in a 700R4 with a 241. Anyway who has one that hasn't given them trouble? Has had personal trouble with one? I don't mean your buddy killed one after 1000 miles on a crappy rebuild or 100,000 miles on the factory one. WHat has happened to you? I'm thinking about reading nad learning and rebuilding one with upgraded parts, myself.

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I need another option in the poll for all of the above. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am on 700R4 #6.

I would never have another 700R4 in my truck if it wasnt built by Bowtie Overdrives, GM, or a shop that offers a GOOD long warranty. You have to get it from a shop that knows there stuff and stands behind there work. Otherwise forget it.

Harley

P.S. The next tranny to go into my truck will be a SM465 (it is already in my garage) because I can't afford another 700R4. Later on when I can afford it I will get a 4L80E.

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

The only other tranny I would consider running in place of my 700r is an NV4500. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I also love my 241 t-case.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I've popped the 3-4 clutch a couple times and had a couple rebuilds done as a result. Homemade rebuild with truck stuff and shift kit, 3-4 went out again. Had a guy my dad works with rebuild it and he put the servo in backwards/unsidedown, then I finially said the hell with it, took it to a tranny shop and they put a custom shift kit in, corvet servo and 1-2 clutches, truck 3-4 clutches and they gave me a 12K mile warrenty about 25K miles ago. Truck has 179K miles on it, two factory tcases and on the second motor (replaced under 75K miles on warrenty), three tranny rebuilds, 2 gov locs before I upgraded to an auburn /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh I think I will just stick with the SM465. Auto will be easier but hey if down the road I decide I don't like the stick setup I will get a nice trans built and go with that.

7. bleedchevy

bleedchevy Registered Member

when there built right, there nice for those long trips, and so far after my second rebuild within a month mine has been performing awesome I had mine built similar to what jjlaughner did.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What's wrong with a TH 400?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

gear ratio and I don't have one. I have a 4x4 700R4 and a couple 2wd th350s. I have some TH400s but they are 2wd and BOP units.

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    They suck up too much HP... more so than any other tranny. I do like 'em though, but I'd only run it on a trail only rig and if I could afford to lose a few extra ponies.
    The 700r can be built to take a fare amount of abuse, just have to shell out the $$$ for a Bowtie Overdrives unit. But by the time you consider buying and building any other tranny, the extra cost in negligible.

11. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I put in a Bowtie Stage 3 about 3000 miles ago, and It has given me zero problems. I have the 241 case as well, and so far, this has been a good setup for me. Yeah, Yeah, it wont take 500 horsepower at WOT like a TH400...but I dont have 500hp anyhow.

12. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I love my 700r4!
    I killed the first one I had because it had over 200k.
    I killed the second one because it was a shotty rebuild.
    I had someone I trust (a very reputable tranny rebuilder) build it this time and he used kevlar clutches, corvette servo piston and some other stuff I don't know exactly and he added a nice tranny cooler. ($1650)
    I love cruising hiway with the 700r4, and I love the first gear.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    though with say a WMS doubler or an Atlas it could be decent.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

115k on the 700r4 in my '90 K5, completely stock except for a big cooler and regular fluid changes. It's been a dedicated trail rig for about 3-4 years now and has held up fine with with 38's, one tons, and lot's of trail abuse.

My dad has owned 6 work trucks with the 700r4/4L60E trans ranging from '88 to '01, including both S-10 Blazers and fullsize trucks. They were run completely stock and probably never even had the fluid changed.......all but one had over 100,000 miles and were acting fine when the trucks were sold. The one that died was at only about 30k if I remember correctly. The dealership diagnosed the problem as a faulty T/C solenoid that wasn't locking up the converter and basically let the tranny burn itself up.

I still can't get over the people who bad-mouth the 700r4 only to find out they got over 100k on the stock tranny and then are ticked off because the shoddy rebuilds are only lasting 20k.

15. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I beat the piss out of my 700R4 in my '90. The only things I changed were the fluid (went to B&M trick shift), filter and added a very large cooler. I doubt it had much stress on it though with 4.88's and 36" TSL's. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif The 700R4 that came from my '89 is in Henry's rig (bablazer73) and it was a GM rebuilt unit. I never got to romp on that one though, I bet it would have held up just fine though! I can't say I love the 700R4 since I swapped mine for an SM465/205 but I would run one if I had enough gear in my axles. I figured I would end up toasting it with the 5.13's trying to push those 44's with my weak little 350 power plant. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am pretty sure mine is rebuilt by the previous owner , but it "could" be original 1983 issue /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I am blessed with nice firm first to second shifts , well good shifts overall . I have put 40,000 miles on mine in 3 years . No problems , I wheel it often on local trails , nothing too extreme . I also drive mone to work daily . I just recently in the last 6 months added a cooler when I got my lift etc . My habits with this truck are to leave it in 3rd unless I am on the highway . Nothing special and I have run 32's for 20,000 miles , 33's for 5,000 miles and 31's inbetween those /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

Already 32 spline output opens up EVERY available aftermarket option.

Messing with 700R4/TH 350 makes extra work.

This is why I want a 32 spline 4 speed so bad.

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My th700 is built up basically like a Stage 3 bowtie OD tranny by a local guy here in town. I would have went with BTO's but since I knew my friend farelly well and knew he had some of the best builders around with a great warranty to go with it. 30,000m or 2 years IIRC (havent needed the receipt since /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) I have had zero trouble with mine and have had it for a couple of years now behind my 406 and about a year with 4.10's/35" boggers.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]
    can't have mine /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Even if I go automatic that 465 is hitting the shelf and sticking around.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]
    can't have mine /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Even if I go automatic that 465 is hitting the shelf and sticking around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really need your 465, those are a dime a dozen.

It's the 32 spline 241 that is kinda a bitch to find.